forum for kitesurfers

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, LF, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Woo vs Xensr

Postby joriws » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:08 am

droffats wrote:The Trace doesn't work at all for snowkiting or water kiting. I tried it. When it wouldn't work I called and they said kiting is not a supported sport. I took that to mean the algorithm is not written for kiteboarding, kitesurfing, and snowkiting. Sold it.
This is another example of jump determined by freefall. Which is easy to do as board leaves surface you immediately begin freefall meaning freefall acceleration - not speed..

With kite you don't have freefall..

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:22 am

At some point who really cares? Cool to find out a few nuke sessions how high you jump thats about it for me. I just kite for fun, lighten up Francis, quote from the movie Stripes.

JB :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:42 am

Jbrook wrote:At some point who really cares? Cool to find out a few nuke sessions how high you jump thats about it for me. I just kite for fun, lighten up Francis, quote from the movie Stripes.

JB :thumb:
Yeah, I'm interested. But its too expensive and not accurate enough yet to get me to part with my hard earned cash. I'm waiting for gen 3 or 4 and maybe half the price.

I can see the interest for buddies challenging each other or trying to beat somebody around the globe.

Also how high do you actually jump? I don't know? its hard to tell once over 3 or 4 meters. But I would like to know how high I go. Sometimes it feels real high. But that could just me 6-7 meters? I doubt i'm anywhere near the 20 meters the pros are punting out.

But at the same time i'd probably fit this devise get some jump readings then stop using it after a while.

Maxwave
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Pärnu
Favorite Beaches: Pärnu
Style: bigair
Gear: naish, mutiny, advance, underwave

Postby Maxwave » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:02 pm

I have waited for such device like Woo for a long time, but for me such inaccuracy is a disapointment. I want to see exactly how high I jump. For me should be ok about 0,5m error margin , but it looks like the margin of error is much higher, rather 2m or more in higher jumps.
So far it is just fun device for playing and the results are just woo results and people should take them just as a woo device results, not exact height. Seems like Xensr is also questionable, but I havent tried that yet.
BUt those who think the woo device is accurate, they can think what they like. Some people believe in UFO-s, Santa Claus as well.
I hope some day we have such accurate device or system, which shows exactly how high you go.
I think I might use woo for just fun in the future, but I still take those results as woo results, nothing more.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:11 am

I'm sure like with all technology it will improve over time. In the meantime it's just some 'relative' height comparison fun. Don't have one myself, but had a crack on someone else's board couple of weeks ago, came in, cracked open a beer or two and we had a laugh comparing the heights with ourselves and others around the world. Just a bit of fun hey. 2m variation...oh well. Anything above 12/13m is a bloody decent jump.

Funny I remembered reading somewhere if you lift your board above your head it reads higher.

I got really sore abs after 20 board above head lifts in a row in 30 knots on a 10m rebel ...lol!!!!!!

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Has anyone hacked one of these devices yet and re-programmed the algorithm to make it appear as though you are jumping a lot higher? :lol: :lol:

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:00 pm

Yes. A friend of mine hacked the Woo (like you said), and then contacted Woo to let them know how they were vulnerable :)
Steve

vindsportknut
Medium Poster

Postby vindsportknut » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:33 am

If you behave you get your information. Cheaters will always find a way to reach their false fame. School systems around are good at producing cheaters as test regimes are taking over the place. Friends don´t cheat each other, but follow the obvious rules.

If I can produce a catapult device for my woo which can simulate movements of a kiteboard and a jump and it shoots the woo 50 m up.

Well, then I haven´t really doubled Aaron Hadlow.

If you are afraid of cheaters, you don´t trust your friends.

Have you ever cheated in solitaire?

davedej
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1
Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Postby davedej » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:13 pm

http://www.wetestkites.com/2016/01/29/x ... oo-sports/

(will also post it full text in "reviews")

See our -pretty disturbing- review.
Dave
We Test Kites

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Thanks for the time and effort in comparing the two.

Im not disturbed by this. Its fun device either one you purchase. If interested in exact science of measurements I would suggest to get a surveying equipment or talk to NASA:)

Oh, and don't buy expensive watches coz they can run late ;) Who would have thought. Continue the line .....

Return to “Kitesurfing”