Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Thoughts on dangerous launch location

forum for kitesurfers

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Learning to tack on the hydrofoil
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade, 142x42 SS Misfit
Brand Affiliation: None

Thoughts on dangerous launch location

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:31 am

I took a trip an hour north of my sweet spot and met some really freaking nice guys. They saw me kite and I think they appreciated my kite skills and ability to stay out of their way, but maybe less of my board skills so far :o

Below is a picture of the kite launch...holy shit was is tight to say the least...Cars are going 60mph less than 30 meters away....I drifted launched but, when I went to end the session it was blowing enough so I decided to land assisted, which I would have rather ejected the QR from well out in the water and pulled in the single line and handled it all myself....

I am very confident in my light wind and heavier wind kite skills now, but as I was driving back from this location I am still thinking about how to handle my next visit there. I am excellent at drift launching and self landing and I think I would go back there if I handled my own launch and landing b/c of the proximity of that road :o .......thoughts? would you all launch that close to a road?

Thanks.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Thoughts on dangerous launch location

Postby Starsky » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:48 am

Um, aren't you in your first year of the sport?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:53 am

would I or should you?

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade, 142x42 SS Misfit

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:56 am

Yes, I am....I had guys wanting to launch me and I insisted on walking out and drift launching which I did about 200 meters out in 12 mph.....then it hit 15mph and I probably should have ejected out in the water but I felt confident enough to land assisted with a trigger on the qr......anyway.....I really don't think it's the spot for me at any level but I'm wondering if the spot scares other people as well....I'm not one to hate on negative feeback.....I really feel this spot may not be for anyone let alone myself so I post it.....thanks.
Last edited by lovethepirk on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:57 am

I see a car parked on the sand. I would consider teather launch from the vehicle.b

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:01 am

plummet wrote:I see a car parked on the sand. I would consider teather launch from the vehicle.b

plummet....I hear you on that....but my thought is that eventually you have to take ownership of that kite and you are still 10 meters from the road.....I drift launched easily and should have just done the same coming back in, but I'm curious if any of you encounter the same type locations and if you follow the lead and land that close to danger or heed and self land in the water.....

RedSky
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber, +Croydon
Gear: Genetrix Hydra

Postby RedSky » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:07 am

My main worry are drivers becoming distracted and crashing.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Normally I'd say tether launch, but with the road that close to the beach you could easily cause an accident if the launch fails and the kite goes downwind (into the road). If you can walk out easily enough, drift launch is a good approach, but be careful with it. Another option is to put an anchor about 50 m out into water, and tether launch from that.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Postby matth » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:48 pm

If the water is shallow I would definitly do a water launch and landing. Why be anywhere near that road if you have another option.

flipper231
Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Push the car in the water and tether to it... If not possible, 200m for drift launching is more than enough, this is about 9 lines length. In 15 mph, drift launching is fine. I have done it in 35 knots but would not recomend it. For landing, I would land in the water unless you know the assistant knows what he is doing. No self landing on that beach...

Return to “Kitesurfing”