Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Soloshot3 a New way to film kiting

Postby Johhnn » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:15 pm

Anybody have any updates on using the SoloShot3?

I tried mine the other day at the beach. It tracked me well while I launched the kite, but as I waded into the water the camera slowly drifted so that finally I was out of the field of view. I toggled the camera and tracking on and off throughout the session, but all it did was pan back and forth along the shoreline, pointed too low. Not once am I in the frame in an hour of footage.

The battery only lasted an hour. I came in to shore, the battery indicator showed a little less than an hour. I turned the base off, thinking I might turn it on again and re-calibrate, but it wouldn't turn on again. It displayed the red low battery indicator on the display.

I have been in touch with their support. They are communicative, respond quickly and try to be helpful, but I have gotten only maybe 50% usefulness out of this device. Still trying. I just downloaded the latest software. We'll see how it goes. I have put a lot of time in trying to troubleshoot this thing already.

Does anyone have any tips or experience to share lately?

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Johhnn wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:15 pm
Anybody have any updates on using the SoloShot3?

I tried mine the other day at the beach. It tracked me well while I launched the kite, but as I waded into the water the camera slowly drifted so that finally I was out of the field of view. I toggled the camera and tracking on and off throughout the session, but all it did was pan back and forth along the shoreline, pointed too low. Not once am I in the frame in an hour of footage.

The battery only lasted an hour. I came in to shore, the battery indicator showed a little less than an hour. I turned the base off, thinking I might turn it on again and re-calibrate, but it wouldn't turn on again. It displayed the red low battery indicator on the display.

I have been in touch with their support. They are communicative, respond quickly and try to be helpful, but I have gotten only maybe 50% usefulness out of this device. Still trying. I just downloaded the latest software. We'll see how it goes. I have put a lot of time in trying to troubleshoot this thing already.

Does anyone have any tips or experience to share lately?
I gave up on the thing after seeing videos with no optical stabilization. I guess it’s completely useless in any realistic kiting scenario above 20kts.
Not to mention that I only keep on reading about people having monumental problems like you. I still have to see one nice kiting video, something I wished I could shoot.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Anyone else worried about leaving a $700 camera on the beach while you're in the water?

K3rM1t
Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby K3rM1t » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:50 pm

The issues are real, but on a good note, the company is working to fix them. There was an update last week (i think) that helped a ton. And everything I've mentioned or suggested to them has either been addressed, is in the next release or they know about and are working on.
That said, I do have a good friend at the company that I'm able to bother directly. I have not gone through any proper support channels until this week after they lowered prices. They are providing me a refund of the difference since I just purchased mine a few weeks ago.
My read so far is that it's a great idea and a cool device that isn't quite perfect yet. I bought the 65x and it is crazy shaky even on a good tripod in the wind. After-the-fact stabilization apparently works, but it would be nice if it was put into the device. I have some ideas to stand up a wind block next to the tripod to see if that will help. Guess we'll see.

I happen to kite alone or in very remote places right now so I don't have any concern for people grabbing the camera. I would feel very different on a California beach.
Anyway, stoked they lowered prices and I think the 25x version is probably fine for kiting if you can get your tripod near the water.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:08 am

Go thru the topic and find my idea for a wind protection.
This beach tents should work well ! And are like 20 USD.

I leave my SS at the beach in Brazil...and I constantly see it, no real chance to steel it

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Try a sand anchor/weight to stabilize the tripod.

jlsail
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Green Island, Antigua
Favorite Beaches: Green Island, Antigua
Spanishpoint, Barbuda
Gear: Ozone Enduro

Postby jlsail » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:16 pm

If you check when you filming with the soloshot you will notice its not the tripod moving. Unfortunately its the horizontal axle in the soloshot (the one that moves the camera vertical)that have play and is to weak. When the 65 camera zooms the weight/windage is to big for the "axle".
I think the 25 camera would work better because of less weight/windage but not having 4k in a actioncamera makes me wait until they update the 25 to have that. This is my observation/opinion

To get a wind protection works but is not always easy to fix without blocking your filming.

Johan

Kitehume
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Lake Hume, Australia.
Favorite Beaches: Corona Beach
Isolation Bay
Gear: Oceanrodeo Rise Aluula 12m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 10m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 7m
Oceanrodeo flite 10m
Ocean rodeo flite 14.5m
Shinn king gee 146x46
Shinn monk gold 135x42
Shinn Sunburner 112cm
Armstrong Hs1050

Postby Kitehume » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:18 am

I have the Optic 25. Wind shakes it badly too. Has some play in the mechanism some where. Maybe if it was encased in a rock it wouldn’t shake.lol.
I only use mine on off shore and cross shore winds now. That way I can shield it from the wind using my van. Hopefully the company survives to make the next version.

Return to “Kitesurfing”