Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Re: North kiteboarding - bar

Postby nherbold » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:40 am

Great R&D...and a great reason to charge $800+ dollars for a bar.
So where is this magic button located exactly? Any change I'm going to hit that while attempting a KGB? Oh no worries I can't do that anyway :)

My preference...keep it simple and clean with parts that are relatively easy to replace. Maybe work on a grip that doesn't destroyed after some prolonged use.

And I understand the 'hate' towards the chicken loop as I shared that hate for a long time. However once I did give it a few tries (after probably 7+ years of kiting) I started liking it more and more. Definitely weird at first, but it helped me create more kite 'awareness' and body control. Now I enjoy it at times when riding a surfboard or twin tip so maybe I am just coming full circle. I actually remember hearing these arguments back in the day when I was a staunch supporter of the wichard shackle and talking to kiters trying to convince me to give it a try and now the first thing I do is ditch the donkey-dick. How about a centre line that can connect both to either a loop or fixed connection?

El niño sucks!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:47 am

nherbold wrote:How about a centre line that can connect both to either a loop or fixed connection?
Would be easy to design and make compared to this contraption. And the kicker! It has been done before!

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m
Has thanked: 0

Postby unbob » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:19 pm

Okay, after reading the prior posts and as a self-proclaimed curmudgeon totally happy with his 2015 NKB Quad bar - I'm planning to order some more 2015 NKB bars before they're out-of-stock/discontinued and replaced with this new-fangled "latest/greatest" version. Don't need it - don't want it.

I just hate it when I discover products I've purchased in the past are no longer available due to "innovation" and the so-called march of "progress". I've learned to react quickly when I realize I love a previously purchased product by ordering more ASAP!

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:15 pm

Just go a closer look at the new bar from a North Team rider in Barbados.
Very high tech, and super easy to use. The bar end on the right twists to power up. A silver button on the side of this twisting piece depowers when pressed.

There is a cool visual power indicator that you can see inside the bar through a little glass window.

The rider said he had been testing this bar for over a year and never had any issues.

The floats are new and now fold up much easier, there is a rubber cover on the center lines with stopper ball and the weight seemed the same as my quad bar. The lines were the same. Iron heart safety was the same.

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly
Been thanked: 0

Postby nick14 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:39 am

mkNY wrote:Just go a closer look at the new bar from a North Team rider in Barbados.
Very high tech, and super easy to use. The bar end on the right twists to power up. A silver button on the side of this twisting piece depowers when pressed.

There is a cool visual power indicator that you can see inside the bar through a little glass window.

The rider said he had been testing this bar for over a year and never had any issues.

The floats are new and now fold up much easier, there is a rubber cover on the center lines with stopper ball and the weight seemed the same as my quad bar. The lines were the same. Iron heart safety was the same.
Do you know if the bar width is adjustable?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:43 am

Thought of something else.... what about snowkiting?

evila
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish Park 12
Naish Motion Board 138
North Transformer Harness

Postby evila » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:43 am

The one i tried didnt seem to have any width adjustment... But maybe because it was as prototype...

gravey
Medium Poster

Postby gravey » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Anybody got any news on this? Apparently North reps will be demoing these to UK shops in the next couple of weeks. Very keen to see what these look like and hear about how they perform!

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil

Postby Don Lester » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Another advantage of getting rid of the chicken loop is getting rid of the f---ing spreader bar hook. When self rescuing or relaunching in light wind on race boards, foil boards and surf boards.......... how many dents has your spreader bar hook put into your board ?

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:09 am

Its pretty slick looking. The inventor (a mauritian) showed it to me in detail. Hope it stands the test of time ; )

Return to “Kitesurfing”