Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The wind carries 300 meters to a kitesurfer in Dénia

forum for kitesurfers

windrt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Kite + Board + rest of stuff you normally use.

Re: The wind carries 300 meters to a kitesurfer in Dénia

Postby windrt » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:13 am

That spot (Denia) is quite dangerous, the wind is offshore, except for a little bay that coveres part of the beach, we are used to cold gusts from 16 to 30, and the oldest guys insist that it's not the first time it happens.
That day everyone was on 7-8m and ALL of them pulled the CL, except him, he was on sand.
He flew, and he flew, and he flew away till he was lost. Everyone started running around the buildings and streets looking for him and no one could find him, it was a bit "dramatic", specially when they gave up. As he says, a Fireman saw him flying and followed and found him. Crazy story.

That's the spot:

And that's the buildings he jumped and landed almost at the street behind.

Revenant. Crazy stuff.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:32 am

alamos_kiter wrote:Interesting vid.

- The guy kites in a puddle, with a storm front approaching, IN SUICIDE MODE. Has to change his leash to the mickey mouse swivel before he can proceed downing the kite.

- Again, it shows a kiter who does not pull the QR until the shit hits the fan. Why the hell is he being dragged for an eternity before he hits the QR? Ruining his board and wettie, risking to trip over and go for a ride?

- It also shows that you never, ever rely on some non kiting bystanders. They don't know what's going on.
The most interesting thing for me about this vid, is the way he is so annoyed that he had to release. FYI, they were kiting bystanders who were trying to launch a 12m kite (noobs), they would have been killed for sure!

I have no qualms about punching out. I have done it only a few times but each time it was either me or someone else who was about to eat shit.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:40 am

Tone wrote:...FYI, they were kiting bystanders who were trying to launch a 12m kite (noobs), they would have been killed for sure!...
:o

Punching out BEFORE you eat shit is the essence of having a QR. At least in my book. But I'll sit and watch people jumping buildings and getting dragged all over the place, if that's fashionable. No problem :D

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fat blokes can fly » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:47 pm

Tone wrote:
alamos_kiter wrote:Interesting vid.

- The guy kites in a puddle, with a storm front approaching, IN SUICIDE MODE. Has to change his leash to the mickey mouse swivel before he can proceed downing the kite.

- Again, it shows a kiter who does not pull the QR until the shit hits the fan. Why the hell is he being dragged for an eternity before he hits the QR? Ruining his board and wettie, risking to trip over and go for a ride?

- It also shows that you never, ever rely on some non kiting bystanders. They don't know what's going on.
The most interesting thing for me about this vid, is the way he is so annoyed that he had to release. FYI, they were kiting bystanders who were trying to launch a 12m kite (noobs), they would have been killed for sure!

I have no qualms about punching out. I have done it only a few times but each time it was either me or someone else who was about to eat shit.
I know the rider in the video and it is filmed at my local sport Humberston Cleethorpes.

The rider is experienced and level headed.

If the day is dark and overcast it is possibly difficult to see a front approaching especially if already out in strong winds.

How I see the video is that he was trying to down the kite, but the other kiters on the beach were not looking. That is the reason for cursing. I do not recognise the guy who eventually grabbed his kite.

romkite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane

Postby romkite » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:43 am

Tone wrote:Sounds like this guy dealt with as best as could be expected once he had made the choice to not pull QR.

Check this vid from a few years ago, obviously the rider should not have underestimated a cloud like that when he was already lit on a 7m. It does show how sharp the front can be!

action starts at 1m 30s

phpBB [video]
What I do see here is a low level kite surfer with a pure C-shape, boots, board short above wetsuit, gopro. I am surprised he doesn't have a knee brace though, it really adds to the style.

How much do I hate to see kiters keeping lines under tension when someone is struggling to control their kite !!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:03 pm

I'll give you the shorts and go pro, but nothing about his riding says low level. 09 fuel is a great kite and pairs pretty well with a cab custom. He's confident enough to pull decent loops in shallow water and handles the situation properly.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Starsky wrote:I'll give you the shorts and go pro, but nothing about his riding says low level. 09 fuel is a great kite and pairs pretty well with a cab custom. He's confident enough to pull decent loops in shallow water and handles the situation properly.
Well said Starsky.

As previously mentioned, I know the rider and is filmed at my local spot.

The rider is well experience and handles it well.

As for mention of sheeting in, I don't see that. All I see is Matt controlling the kite accordingly.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:41 pm

windrt: I think you meant onshore, not offshore? The wind in the video is onshore.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Toby wrote:windrt: I think you meant onshore, not offshore? The wind in the video is onshore.
General direction is side-off. Only at the end of that bay it's onshore.

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 17.09.50.png

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:34 pm

romkite wrote:
Tone wrote:Sounds like this guy dealt with as best as could be expected once he had made the choice to not pull QR.

Check this vid from a few years ago, obviously the rider should not have underestimated a cloud like that when he was already lit on a 7m. It does show how sharp the front can be!

action starts at 1m 30s

phpBB [video]
What I do see here is a low level kite surfer with a pure C-shape, boots, board short above wetsuit, gopro. I am surprised he doesn't have a knee brace though, it really adds to the style.

How much do I hate to see kiters keeping lines under tension when someone is struggling to control their kite !!
I think you are way out of order here. I think he is a good rider, solid rider. No noob would be able to change to the flag out as quick as that without knowing their onions.

I think he was caught out and actually handled it pretty well all things considering.

Return to “Kitesurfing”