Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The wind carries 300 meters to a kitesurfer in Dénia

Postby romkite » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Tone wrote:
romkite wrote:
What I do see here is a low level kite surfer with a pure C-shape, boots, board short above wetsuit, gopro. I am surprised he doesn't have a knee brace though, it really adds to the style.

How much do I hate to see kiters keeping lines under tension when someone is struggling to control their kite !!
I think you are way out of order here. I think he is a good rider, solid rider. No noob would be able to change to the flag out as quick as that without knowing their onions.

I think he was caught out and actually handled it pretty well all things considering.
I didn't mean to say he was a total beginner, just not very experienced. Anyway. Did anyone mentioned that he made a big mistake going back to shore while no one was wiating for him ? Safest place is in the water when wind picks up so strong. Too windy to tack until someone is there to catch you ? Dont go to shore ! Release the kite while you are in the water !!
(though I admit in this particular case it's a wonderful ocean sandy beach with no dangerous obstacle it seems)

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / freeride / wave
Gear: Best & Axis

Postby Frank82 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:11 pm

romkite wrote:
Tone wrote:
romkite wrote:
What I do see here is a low level kite surfer with a pure C-shape, boots, board short above wetsuit, gopro. I am surprised he doesn't have a knee brace though, it really adds to the style.

How much do I hate to see kiters keeping lines under tension when someone is struggling to control their kite !!
I think you are way out of order here. I think he is a good rider, solid rider. No noob would be able to change to the flag out as quick as that without knowing their onions.

I think he was caught out and actually handled it pretty well all things considering.
I didn't mean to say he was a total beginner, just not very experienced. Anyway. Did anyone mentioned that he made a big mistake going back to shore while no one was wiating for him ? Safest place is in the water when wind picks up so strong. Too windy to tack until someone is there to catch you ? Dont go to shore ! Release the kite while you are in the water !!
(though I admit in this particular case it's a wonderful ocean sandy beach with no dangerous obstacle it seems)
Lol, dude, if you can't tell this guy is experienced than you definetly shouldn't give advice to others.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Learning to tack on the hydrofoil
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade, 142x42 SS Misfit

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:26 pm

I didn't notice him unhooked was he? Was he moving the leash to the Y b/c his typical leash attachment point flags to both lines and he wanted a single flag out?

I'm a bit confused as why he moved the leash, is it specific to the gear he had? I'm just playing this in my mind and even if I was suicide I would just remove the connection to the CL and then when I ejected it would single line flag out.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / freeride / wave
Gear: Best & Axis

Postby Frank82 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:02 pm

He probably rode suicide, when you pull the CL the kite is gone. Then he attached his leash to 1 frontline, at the beach he unhooked and hold on to the CL in the hope someone would land his kite. As nobody came he let go of the CL.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:49 pm

lovethepirk wrote:I didn't notice him unhooked was he? Was he moving the leash to the Y b/c his typical leash attachment point flags to both lines and he wanted a single flag out?

I'm a bit confused as why he moved the leash, is it specific to the gear he had? I'm just playing this in my mind and even if I was suicide I would just remove the connection to the CL and then when I ejected it would single line flag out.

that is an older sling shot bar, with the mickey mouse ears at the top, you can either ride this suicide, leash to the 5th line or leash to the center line and if you leash to the single center line your leash goes around the bar. You can't have your flagging line go inside the bar in this system unless you are riding a true 5th line. I believe the last year slingshot made the "lock-n-load" QR is 2009. If you ride it leashed single center or with a true 5th line it is a very safe quick release, you can also replace the mickey mouse ears with a true swivel to change it to system where the flagging line goes inside of the bar. In his case he was riding suicide which is also how I would have ridden with this bar, otherwise you can't do spins, the leash would get tangled up, then he moved it to single line flagging before he came in to land.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:49 pm

2009. Thats when they got the fat wingtip and decent relaunch. Came 4 line stock. Lenten was killing it.
IMG_2371.jpg
Last edited by Starsky on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:04 am

I know, its off topic.

https://youtu.be/Vfrmx5igrDk

https://youtu.be/oTkmed1xMq4

Looked for one of him doing a boardoff, but so far no luck.

Great kite tho.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:49 am

Starsky wrote:ooked for one of him doing a boardoff

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:09 am

I found a local forum with some more information about the accident.

http://www.mercakite.com/foro/viewtopic ... a6bd4a645a
(Spanish)

http://bit.ly/1RUmJcX
(poor machine English translation)

I have been having difficulty in finding details of the weather conditions which brought the riders into the beach and lofted one well inland. From the discussion it seems likely that there was an obvious storm cloud which two reacted to early enough securing their kites but one was late. There can be dangerous excessively gusty winds in some areas of the Med at times without any threatening clouds to indicate trouble is on the way. I don't think that was the case in this instance. Can anyone provide more specifics about the visible weather conditions on the shoreline at Denia around 4 pm on that day? Thank you.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:38 am

This is not a local forum, it's kiters from all over Spain, none of whom has witnessed the accident. The first few comments are guys raving about how the chap had done everything right, and how there are idiots making negative comments about his masterpiece of kite flying. Then comes a guy suggesting pulling the QR in the water is a good idea when you see a heavy gust approaching, and everybody agrees thereafter:

"Debemos practicar a HACER LA SUELTA EN EL AGUA, mejor que salir a la arena y solventar allí la situación. Nunca practicamos la suelta en el agua, nuestra "memoria muscular" no considera eso normal, estamos acostumbrados a salir del agua y aparcar. "

"We have to practice releasing when still in the water, which is better than stepping on the beach and resolving the situation there. We never practice releasing in the water, our muscle memory does not consider this normal, we are used to leave the water and land the kite."

Return to “Kitesurfing”