Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: North Neo 12M as light wind kite

Postby Don Lester » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:35 pm

The 2015 Dyno compared to the 2015 Neo..........

The Neo turns just a little bit faster, but not as much as you would think. The Dyno is a amazingly fast turner for being a high aspect ratio kite.
The Neo will relaunch easier. To relaunch a Dyno in light wind you have to use the 5th line option, but the Neo is still better.
The Neo will "drift" better and not back stall as easily, but again the Dyno is remarkably good at staying in the sky when losing line tension. The 2015 Dyno is way lighter than any other High Aspect ratio kite.
The Dyno is: faster, goes upwind better ( remember, the 2015 Dyno was the best race kite before foil kites took over). Speed is your friend in light wind.
The Dyno will out jump a Neo and give you much better hang-time.
So, it's matter of priorities vs trade-offs. Both are great kites.....State of the Art.
No time on the new Mono, but my guess is: even more toward what the Neo is and further away from what the Dyno is, i.e.. even better light wind, but even less flying performance IN wind.

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Nice find ThickAir, thx.

I have read some of WestOzzy's rave reviews of the Dyno, but wasn't sure. Do you have first hand experience on it, how does it fly and what does it compare to? I have ridden pretty much everything in the North Range. Currently fly Dices (8,10), Juice (15)

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Yes, I've tried every version of the Dyno, I think, and the 2015/16 is in a league of it's own. I've never flown another kite that feels quite like this one. I think it must have something to do with the bridals. They attach to the struts as well as the leading edge. It makes the whole structure incredibly rigid and stable, and the there is near zero flex or deflection of the edge of the kite when you crank the bar to turn it. The entire canopy simply cranks around while keeping its speed up. It's a very bizarre sensation, and I never realized how much edge deflection other kites have during turning until I rode the new Dyno.

It's a lot of fun in light wind, primarily because it is not too large and turns very well. If you can manage to stand up on your board, you will be cranking upwind with this kite. Once it gets some speed, it just keeps building more and more power. Jumps are super floaty, way more than the Rebel, and the Rebel is a fantastic jumper.

I've ridden Rebels since the beginning (07 was version 1) and have a few Neos for waves. I've been on every kite that North makes, except for the Mono, and the Dyno truly feels like none of them. I ride mine with Nugget in light wind and Monk when it fills in a little more. Guys love them on race boards and foils also (prob wouldn't need a 13m for foil as the 10 would get you going in just a slight puff of wind.)

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:12 pm

mkNY wrote:I currently have a Juice 15M that I ride with TT in light winds (11-16knts) at 150lbs.

I'm looking to switch to riding a surfboard in light winds and wanted something more agile than the Juice, which turns like a truck. Would a 2015 NEO 12M be a good option and give enough low end to get out in 11-12knts on a surfboard?

The North site says 11-22knts range but wanted to hear some first hand reviews.
Any 12m will get you there. I'm 145lbs, and at those wind speeds you're using your Juice at I can ride my 12m Dice and 139 2015 Gambler (I.E. HEEPS of rocker). If I remember right the wind speeds for north are roughly based off a dude 180lbs.

With my Juice as long as the lulls are 6kts or above I can ride my 5'8" Airrush Choptop.

Return to “Kitesurfing”