Forum for kitesurfers
droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Re: Ozone edge V8 stitching on leading edge

Postby droffats » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:00 pm

I think the problem may be in a combination of factors. With my 13m, 9m, and 7m, Edges, I put them on the fastest turning back line attachment point -- the one closest to the wingtip. I found I often went out with the kite under inflated, or at least that is what I thought. When I jumped or turned real hard, or got hit with a strong gust, the wingtip would fold back a little bit. So I'd go in and put a few more strokes of air in the kite. Then I'd go back out and boost. I never used even the 13m as a light wind kite, all my Edges are for big air.

So, could the problem with the LE stitching occur when the kite is flown aggressively on the light bar pressure/fastest turning setting? What setting were you on when the LE started to fail?

- Stafford
www.adventurekiteboarding.com

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:16 pm

OK, fellows. I took a lot of kites apart. There is no kite out there with a closing seam over a single layer of dacron, except for an ancient Ckite. There is no such thing. On the top of that mistake, thick thread using fat needle. Smaller kites might hold for a while. Take all 11m and bigger for reinforcement fix at least in the fat sections.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Puetz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:48 am

droffats wrote:I think the problem may be in a combination of factors. With my 13m, 9m, and 7m, Edges, I put them on the fastest turning back line attachment point -- the one closest to the wingtip. I found I often went out with the kite under inflated, or at least that is what I thought. When I jumped or turned real hard, or got hit with a strong gust, the wingtip would fold back a little bit. So I'd go in and put a few more strokes of air in the kite. Then I'd go back out and boost. I never used even the 13m as a light wind kite, all my Edges are for big air.

So, could the problem with the LE stitching occur when the kite is flown aggressively on the light bar pressure/fastest turning setting? What setting were you on when the LE started to fail?

- Stafford
http://www.adventurekiteboarding.com
... I reckon your onto something. I believe the smaller kites have so much lift when pushed hard, especially in the upper wind rages that they need extra stability from the LE and the only way to get it was pump the kite up harder.

A few years ago, I tried my mates V6 17m Edge and I couldn't even ride it properly because no matter what, the damn LE would bend. We pumped the 17m past 8 psi too and no matter what, it still bent. Not too impressed I gave it back say thanks but no thanks. Later on he got the 19m V7 and I had a go. No worries, no bending, nice kite and importantly, has a stable non bending LE.

A year later my Dyno broke so I got myself a V8 19m and so far so good. No bending LE and I haven't noticed any stitching problems either (touch wood)!

Prior to reading the thread, I was pumping the kite up to the top of the green section of the Ozone gauge, which I believe is 8 psi. Still no worries and even better, no stitching problems. Mind you, having said that, I haven't had a good look so next session, I will.

Maybe the 19m has a different bridle geometry or the LE is larger so naturally stiffer at lower psi so less stress on the stitching or material. Just a thought.

cheers,

Robbie :)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:56 am

Puetz wrote:
droffats wrote:I think the problem may be in a combination of factors. With my 13m, 9m, and 7m, Edges, I put them on the fastest turning back line attachment point -- the one closest to the wingtip. I found I often went out with the kite under inflated, or at least that is what I thought. When I jumped or turned real hard, or got hit with a strong gust, the wingtip would fold back a little bit. So I'd go in and put a few more strokes of air in the kite. Then I'd go back out and boost. I never used even the 13m as a light wind kite, all my Edges are for big air.

- Stafford
http://www.adventurekiteboarding.com
... I reckon your onto something. I believe the smaller kites have so much lift when pushed hard, especially in the upper wind rages that they need extra stability from the LE and the only way to get it was pump the kite up harder.

A few years ago, I tried my mates V6 17m Edge and I couldn't even ride it properly because no matter what, the damn LE would bend. We pumped the 17m past 8 psi too and no matter what, it still bent. Not too impressed I gave it back say thanks but no thanks. Later on he got the 19m V7 and I had a go. No worries, no bending, nice kite and importantly, has a stable non bending LE.

A year later my Dyno broke so I got myself a V8 19m and so far so good. No bending LE and I haven't noticed any stitching problems either (touch wood)!

Prior to reading the thread, I was pumping the kite up to the top of the green section of the Ozone gauge, which I believe is 8 psi. Still no worries and even better, no stitching problems. Mind you, having said that, I haven't had a good look so next session, I will.

Maybe the 19m has a different bridle geometry or the LE is larger so naturally stiffer at lower psi so less stress on the stitching or material. Just a thought.

cheers,

Robbie :)
I tried the Airush Zero in Thailand a couple of years back. Came back to the beach moaning about tip folding too. Twiddle twiddle with the bridle settings and back out, and it was good to go. I've only experienced a few kites that did that...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:46 am

marlboroughman wrote:OK, fellows. I took a lot of kites apart. There is no kite out there with a closing seam over a single layer of dacron, except for an ancient Ckite. There is no such thing. On the top of that mistake, thick thread using fat needle. Smaller kites might hold for a while. Take all 11m and bigger for reinforcement fix at least in the fat sections.

^That.

The weight sacrifice they've made is nothing compared to decreased durability. So how to fix it? I would say some self adhesive dacron from inside the LE over stitching might help. How much overlap, duno, 5cm each side over the stitching?

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:07 pm

downunder wrote:
marlboroughman wrote:OK, fellows. I took a lot of kites apart. There is no kite out there with a closing seam over a single layer of dacron, except for an ancient Ckite. There is no such thing. On the top of that mistake, thick thread using fat needle. Smaller kites might hold for a while. Take all 11m and bigger for reinforcement fix at least in the fat sections.

^That.

The weight sacrifice they've made is nothing compared to decreased durability. So how to fix it? I would say some self adhesive dacron from inside the LE over stitching might help. How much overlap, duno, 5cm each side over the stitching?
Two kiters ; that know there $h!t ; i Love it !!! ------------------ :thumb:

Bille

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:12 pm

downunder wrote: The weight sacrifice they've made is nothing compared to decreased durability. So how to fix it? I would say some self adhesive dacron from inside the LE over stitching might help. How much overlap, duno, 5cm each side over the stitching?
This is exactly it. I use light insignia dacron adhesive tapes. It is not the same strength as original dacron but there is something about mixing different weaves and adding adhesive to the mix that makes it strong but still LW. On the other hand if there is already damage eg: stretched holes I would use a original thickness dacron over double side basting tape.
downunder wrote: How much overlap, duno, 5cm each side over the stitching?
4-5cm. I prefer to put the tape on the inside so the bladder presses against it.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:36 pm

If you don't want to spend the money and the kite had a good number of sessions, this is what I did before, and it worked:
If the stretched hole seam can be reached by hand through the zippered bladder opening you can put an adhesive dacron patch over two sides of a bad seam on the inside without sewing . It will never get dirty and the bladder is pushing against it, helping the bond. I did a fix like that on a 2007 Ozone that had reinforcement strip too far away from the edge so it was doing nothing. The repair lasted until the end of the kite.

thetrash
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby thetrash » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:59 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
thetrash wrote:I've got Enduros and at 7psi they are solid.
Your gauge is reading low :lol:
It's fine, I don't need to pump it up any harder.

mattenzuchtig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: all that is good quality and affordable
Has thanked: 0

Postby mattenzuchtig » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:20 pm

my mistake
Last edited by mattenzuchtig on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”