my first deathloop in +30 knots

Forum for kitesurfers
johnm
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: my first deathloop in +30 knots

Postby johnm » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:56 pm

regards what you just quoted - i was specifically talking about the common experience of most people who handlepass - that as you come out of the pass - sometimes you notice INSTANTLY - that your big fat black leash has got snagged on the end of the bar

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:30 pm

Sure absolutely there are some situations where you don't have to think. But there are other situations where you suggest thinking and figuring out what the kite is doing and what the bar is doing, and in these particular situations it is very difficult to figure out what is going on. That's what I don't like. Thinking is slow. Not saying it's wrong, just that I don't like it. I used to have all sorts of responses for all sorts of situations but I have gradually thrown them away because I didn't like how much it slowed down my reaction time. Now I just keep it to very basic responses. Which is actually kind of weird. Because when I first started that's how I was, I had very simple responses. Then when I was an intermediate kiter I had all sorts of responses based on all kinds of different situations. But with more experience I have gone back to same simple responses that I learned when I first started.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:55 pm

edt wrote:Sure absolutely there are some situations where you don't have to think. But there are other situations where you suggest thinking and figuring out what the kite is doing and what the bar is doing, and in these particular situations it is very difficult to figure out what is going on. That's what I don't like. Thinking is slow. Not saying it's wrong, just that I don't like it. I used to have all sorts of responses for all sorts of situations but I have gradually thrown them away because I didn't like how much it slowed down my reaction time. Now I just keep it to very basic responses. Which is actually kind of weird. Because when I first started that's how I was, I had very simple responses. Then when I was an intermediate kiter I had all sorts of responses based on all kinds of different situations. But with more experience I have gone back to same simple responses that I learned when I first started.

Paralysis by analyst.....just freakin punchout before you go for a Nantucket sleighride

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD

Postby herbert » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:43 pm

For those who don't unhook, I think this reduces the risk of some of the problems discussed along the way in this thread...(those related to spreader bar hook, bull-horn bar ends, hanging leashes, releases hard to reach, two actions always needed to completely lose the kite):
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.26.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.26.55 AM.png (546.05 KiB) Viewed 1734 times

johnm
Frequent Poster

Postby johnm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:15 am

longwhitecloud wrote:what i'd REALLY like to see happen going forward is for KITE MANUFACTURERS - to take ownership of this known issue and DESIGN IT OUT.
i been banging on about this here for years...

you can see some of the people that died or critical from deathloops here : dont even bother opening the link if you dont like that kind of stuff :-)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... h0M1-nAmM/
Do you maintain that spreadsheet? I tried to add a comment but not sure if it worked.

namely the fatality at Hunstanton last year was 7.3.15 and was due to a deathloop following a wipeout and was on an F-One bandit

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:34 am

Yup, doesn't surprise me, those piece of s5it designed fone kites shouldn't be on this earth IMO.

added what you wrote to the cell thx :-)

i been updating this with help from many others for a couple of years now - anyone see a pattern... i do - 5hit kite design that actually greatly increases the risk of deathlooping kites.

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:46 am

Had similar situation last week but Kite didn't loop. Just pulling and it flied 1 meter or so flipped above water. Quick release pulled ,Kite still pulls hard so second release pulled but didn't let go because where I was going out not enough place and power cables. When I was reaching the reef I placed my board under me. And finally when I reached swallow water ,( here it makes huge difference low V bar) I grabbed one middle line Kite looped powerless and walked all the way up.
The windsurfers just looking noone came to grab my Kite,even they knew above me where the power cables.

romkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane

Postby romkite » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:19 am

I did not read the whole thread so sorry if this as been discussed before ..
Your kite was not properly inflated from what I saw in the the video and this doesn't help whne you kite starts turing aound like that.

mbevo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Gear: cabinha and switch

Postby mbevo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:02 am

romkite wrote:I did not read the whole thread so sorry if this as been discussed before ..
Your kite was not properly inflated from what I saw in the the video and this doesn't help whne you kite starts turing aound like that.
Could be the cold water - happened to me going from like 8psi to almost soft when the air temp is like 70 and water temp is like 40.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:49 am

"happened to me going from like 8psi to almost soft when the air temp is like 70 and water temp is like 40." interesting!

Return to “Kitesurfing”