Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Sunset Beach - Cape Town
Style: Wave, Wake
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing near Vancouver, Canada

Postby janeko » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:39 pm

Hi guys,

I have option of moving to Vancouver. Was wondering how are the conditions for kitesurfing there. Especially within a short drive (like 50km) or further trips. What are the best spots around? Any opinions will be highly appreciated.

According to windfinder it is not a very windy area. Except place called Squamish but there are thermal winds in the summer. Anything else around worth considering?

Thanks!

BillyKP
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Kitesurfing near Vancouver, Canada

Postby BillyKP » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:00 pm

Maybe try contacting Ocean Rodeo? Headquarters is in Victoria about 3hrs away....they will know all the best spots.
Very helpful friendly crew.

1-888 544 4969 ext#1 for sales...I'm sure they will give you 5mins of their time.
OceanRodeo.com

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:42 am

Have a look at this local forum in BC
http://www.kiteboardbc.com

There are several spots people kite at around Vancouver but the one talked about the most is in Squamish, BC. It is a bit father away than 50 km but the drive is awesome!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Postby juandesooka » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:26 am

yep, KBBC above is a good bet. The other local forum http://wtfbc.ca/ is combined kite/windsurf, seems to be more active lately.

I live on Vancouver Island, near Victoria, so am not really a Vancouver local, though am in town a fair amount. Squamish is daily thermals from about now to Sept (30 min drive). There is sometimes good wind right in Vancouver on NW storms (Spanish Banks), but only a few days here and there. There is a foil crew who kite about 3-4 days a week in Van....8-12kt kind of stuff. There is stormy SE wind much of the winter in the south part of Vancouver (Tsawwassen, White Rock, 30-40min drive). And then 1-2 hours away there's a bunch more spots, including a ferry ride over to Van Island.

Mxwllms
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: PNW
Style: Kiteboarding
Gear: Torches

Postby Mxwllms » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:00 pm

The 1 hour drive to locust beach in Bellingham, WA is always worth it if your looking for shallow/flat water with minimal crowds and it has good wind all fall/winter/spring if you don't mind kiting in a 6mm suit on rainy days in winter. When the Squamish crowds get crazy in the summer lots of locals also make it to Hunter, about 30mins south of Bellingham for the board short temp water and consistent afternoon winds. As mentioned above, the drives between spots are pleasant and scenic so even a long drive rarely seems like a chore.
Around here you have to do a bit of wind chasing but it's a great place to kite once you figure out the weather. I kited 4 days or more every month in 2015 without much effort or taking days off work. Needed every kite from 5m to 17m..11m is my bread and butter. I hope that helps you out, take care.

alankitesurf2
Rare Poster

Postby alankitesurf2 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:52 pm

But any given weekend it seems half the kiting population is down at the Oregon coast or the Gorge!

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:53 am

Perhaps you are confusing Vancouver, BC (Canada) with Vancouver, WA (USA).

While we do make trips to both the Oregon coast and Gorge, each about 6 hours drive away, it's like once or twice a year kind of thing. Not an every weekend kind of thing.

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:32 am

Vancouver BC is a great town. Beautiful women, youthful vibe, healthy lifestyle, great food and nightlife, vibrant high-tech employment opportunities, world class skiing and biking, surrounded by water and forests, Squamish for kiting, Whistler for skiing and boarding...

What are you waiting for!

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:56 pm

Vancouver is a great spot, but be aware that it has the worst traffic in Canada, and is 2nd in North America. It also has by far the most expensive real estate in Canada which looks kind of bubble-like. It's great if you can get things to work, but there are many people who live there who spend way too much time commuting and paying a mortgage and not much time on the water. I lived there for 11 years and it was great, but after a while it stopped working for us. Various pluses and minuses that everyone has to weigh for themselves.

I should add though that if I was kid-free and able to choose my home and work location I would still be there. If moving there now, being able to afford in most nice areas is pretty tough.

As for wind, windiest near the city is in the fall or winter in generally cooler wind and water. In the 90's (windsurfing days) you could get skunked all summer some years, but other years were not as bad, and kites need a bit less wind too. The wind does vary a lot from place to place around there, but its not always easy to get to where it might be windy after work in all that traffic. Squamish is certainly windy, but think cold water, fresh from the mountains! Waves are only wind generated nearby, due to the big island blocking things to the west.

Peter

janeko
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Sunset Beach - Cape Town
Style: Wave, Wake
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby janeko » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:33 pm

Many thanks for the replies guys! Also appreciate the ones regarding just the city of Vancouver. It's a new topic for me as I was supposed to go to Seattle first but things has slightly changed and now Vancouver is the option.
And if considering some longer trips for example holidays of 1 week, is there any wind reliable place to go like Tarifa for European kiters, within up to 5h flight range? I guess Hawaii is a bit too far for that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”