Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Perfect place for wife to learn to kite

Postby edt » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:01 am

Laughingman wrote:
edt wrote:What's wrong with south padre islands exactly. "other" is quite vague

I think he is looking for something more tropical island like, white sand, crystal clear warm water, palm trees swaying etc...
Turks, Long Bay Beach on low tide is my recommendation as well, but bring your bank account... it ain't cheap in January.
he might just hate texans I know I do. texans can hate us michiganders back it's all good. if he wanted to say white sand he could have said it. the way he left it vague i dunno i mean sort of sounds like when you bite your tongue so you don't say something bad about someone.

SuperMorriso
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Portugal
Table View, Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Strapless, Foil
Gear: Airush Wave
Brand Affiliation: Airush Kiteboarding
Progression Sports
Kiteworld Magazine
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SuperMorriso » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:10 pm

This may help http://www.progression.me/blog/kitesurf ... -kitesurf/

...but again it depends on what time of year - if January then beautiful Langebaan (just 1 hour from Cape Town and all it has to offer) is a great option...

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Grizwald » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
To clarify. Until I am officially released from bondage I have very little choice about when I can take time off. It makes it tough to plan an expensive holiday. So we are probably talking about next year January onward. It sucks to loose a non-refundable deposit.

South Padre is a great place to learn, that is where I went, but clear water, white sand beach swaying palm trees it ain't.

I have heard great things about Hatarra but it is my understanding that it is wet suit water and I know she would prefer something warm.

I completely agree with those posters who state that shallow water is key if one doesn't want to intimidate a beginner.

I am personally intrigued with Brazil but friends from Braxil all talk about the violence, but those friends we know that touristed there said they have had no problems.

Thank you everyone. I guarantee that I will check every suggestion that everyone makes. If anyone feels more comfortable with PM don't hesitate to send me a note.
Thanks,
Griz

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:11 pm

Grizwald wrote:Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
To clarify. Until I am officially released from bondage I have very little choice about when I can take time off. It makes it tough to plan an expensive holiday. So we are probably talking about next year January onward. It sucks to loose a non-refundable deposit.

South Padre is a great place to learn, that is where I went, but clear water, white sand beach swaying palm trees it ain't.

I have heard great things about Hatarra but it is my understanding that it is wet suit water and I know she would prefer something warm.

I completely agree with those posters who state that shallow water is key if one doesn't want to intimidate a beginner.

I am personally intrigued with Brazil but friends from Braxil all talk about the violence, but those friends we know that touristed there said they have had no problems.

Thank you everyone. I guarantee that I will check every suggestion that everyone makes. If anyone feels more comfortable with PM don't hesitate to send me a note.
Thanks,
Griz
Just to point out... Hatteras is not clear turquoise water, white sand beach swaying palm trees.... the beach is okay but that is not where you will be taking lessons, the sound is more like a huge swamp... there are duck blinds all over the place so you get the idea. very few large soft clean sandy rigging spots, mostly grassy sandy muddy... not the place to woo your wife into the sport if she has reservations.... and its certainly not beach weather till summer. I love it there but it is not what you are looking for in order to woo your wife

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:38 pm

laughingman you were right! He wants that thing on the picture postcard.

griz keep looking I know you'll find what you are looking for.

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot

Postby saildawg » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Isla Holbox, Holbox Kiteboarding School. 2 hours from Cancun. Everything you asked for.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:30 pm

I think you were on the right track with turks and caicos - you pay, and you get what you want: warm in winter, fairly consistent wind, great food, low stress, great beaches diving etc if you like....
I am pretty self sufficient after a dozen years and have only visited big blue unlimited, but hear good of kite provo as well.
A little time behind a boat will have the board skills sorted out, if still an issue, as mentioned earlier.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:47 pm

the beach is okay but that is not where you will be taking lessons, the sound is more like a huge swamp... there are duck blinds all over the place so you get the idea. very few large soft clean sandy rigging spots, mostly grassy sandy muddy... not the place to woo your wife into the sport if she has reservations.... and its certainly not beach weather till summer. I love it there but it is not what you are looking for in order to woo your wife
Laughingman's description of Hatteras is a pretty misleading representation. Yes it is not tropical, but just as nice. The sound is not like a huge swamp. The vast majority is sandy bottom and comfortable to walk around in. There are a few muddy spots if you are back in the canals. I have never met anyone who describes the beaches as "just okay". There are definitely not duck blinds everywhere. I can count on one hand all the duckblinds in the tri-villages. And it is pretty much beach weather from early May - early October. Maybe a ligth spring suit in May and October, but warm water. If you rent a house on the sound or beach during May, June, July, Sept, or October and your wife is not "wooed" and does not learn to kite, I would just get a divorce. To high maintenance. There is probably no more comfortable place to learn. Since money is no option, rent a big house with sound access so you can kite in and out.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:03 pm

when i think hattie i think "planet of the apes" you know what I'm talking about. ps that picture postcard sort of photo above is from this blog:http://www.offshoreodysseys.com/

" A seafaring expedition to seek out the world's most remote and dynamic kitesurfing and surfing locations."

Their boat is the "Discovery II" and "Offshore Odysseys" has been doing adventure business for a while, and in 2006 they started with Best sailed until 2011, then restarted in 2012 with Cabrinha and is now the cabrinha quest. They went to the azores, cape verdes, mozambique, madagascar, cargados, maldives, andamans, myanmar, sumbawa, palau, pohnpei, marshall islands, tonga, cook islands, huahine, bora bora, french polynesia, tuamotos, galapagos, perlas islands, ok that's enough, click the "Captain's blog" to see the details of each leg of the journey.

Maybe you can get ideas from their trip. I think Gavin McClurg the CEO used to read the forums, he might respond if you send him an e-mail.

yowobx
Rare Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby yowobx » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:20 pm

I am with SSK and others, Hatteras is the place - from mid May to end of September the sound is a perfect place to learn. Am also a huge fan of Long Bay, but its pricey. The sound is sandy with some vegetation but its no big deal..warm, shallow water. Also, in general, the sound doesn't get as choppy as Long Bay. And as one poster mentioned, Hatteras has Ty Luckett and his boat, will follow you everywhere as you body drag and learn the sport. Can't say that about Long Bay. Ty is never more than a few yards away with the boat - which is important if you are learning and a little nervous, the best peace of mind you can get while figuring everything out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”