Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Perfect place for wife to learn to kite

Forum for kitesurfers
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Perfect place for wife to learn to kite

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:29 pm

You guys would enjoy Hatteras, it is all of those things if you're a beach goer. 4/10 for civilization, clubs, shopping, etc., but there's every form of water/outdoor sport, good local restaurants, affordable rentals, and safe/easy access to highly qualified kiteboarding instructors in knee deep water.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby t3rse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:03 pm

Pierrot wrote:That place exists. Shallow. Warm water. Steady winds. No sharks. Not too crowdy (because pretty expensive).
Turks and Caicos.
No sharks? How is that?

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:06 pm

If I were you, I'd look into a kite-focused charter sail excursion to the Caribbean, and make sure there will be other women on the boat who will be kiting.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:10 pm

I think the outer banks in north carolina is one of the best places to learn. waist deep water seemingly forever, steady wind, flat water

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:29 pm

I have taught a lot of beginners to kite at several schools in various locations. My suggestion is to reduce the intimidation factor as much as possible. How? Shallow water is good (if a beginner can stand, she will be much more comfortable). Moderate, but not strong or gusty winds are good. Clear water gives a lot of people more comfort, too. (No offense intended, but you guys suggesting Hawaii or the Gorge for a beginner, presumably in her 50's or 60's since the OP says they're "retiring", need to think a little bit longer before suggesting what I assume must be YOUR favorite spot. Those would have to be two of the worst spots to teach an older beginner!)

With those considerations in mind, the Turks & Caicos Islands (Providenciales) would be my first suggestion. If you want to stay in the US, I suggest Hatteras Island (book morning lessons on Hatteras, when the wind isn't so strong). The TCI has shallow and perfectly clear water, and the winds are consistent and relatively light. (Yes, I have seen one or two small sharks at Long Bay, but they are more of a curiosity than an intimidation, and you can see them from afar because the water is so clear.) Hatteras has stronger wind with typical U.S. water (i.e., not clear), but the shallows go on for miles. In both locations, you'll find good quality instruction. April through October is good at Hatteras, and September through March or April works best for the TCI.

Just my humble opinion, of course. :thumb:

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:52 pm

t3rse wrote:
Pierrot wrote:That place exists. Shallow. Warm water. Steady winds. No sharks. Not too crowdy (because pretty expensive).
Turks and Caicos.
No sharks? How is that?
Well I mean on the "long bay" spot. Shallow sandy bottom for miles. Nothing interesting for sharks.

Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Postby Jwoo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:22 pm

My wife (late 50's) is also learning to kite. We tried Los Barriles and the Turks and Caicos and had some progress both places. Turks and Caicos (Long Bay Beach) was pretty good with it's shallow water and good instructors, but she was still not getting "over the edge" and was near ready to give up after continuing at home. As a last ditch effort we booked a trip to Hatteras and kited with Ty Lucket. He has a boom on his boat that was simply awesome for helping her improve her board skills without having to deal with the kite. The two days we spent in the boat with Ty was the best thing we ever did for her kiting. She improved more than during any other instruction we tried. Now she's actually having fun! I can't say enough about Ty's instructional skill and his teaching boom on the boat. It's what kept her from giving up! http://www.kitehatteras.net
Last edited by Jwoo on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:46 pm

edt wrote:What's wrong with south padre islands exactly. "other" is quite vague

I think he is looking for something more tropical island like, white sand, crystal clear warm water, palm trees swaying etc...
Turks, Long Bay Beach on low tide is my recommendation as well, but bring your bank account... it ain't cheap in January.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:59 pm

This IS the answer you are looking for-

FLandOBX wrote:I have taught a lot of beginners to kite at several schools in various locations. My suggestion is to reduce the intimidation factor as much as possible. How? Shallow water is good (if a beginner can stand, she will be much more comfortable). Moderate, but not strong or gusty winds are good. Clear water gives a lot of people more comfort, too. (No offense intended, but you guys suggesting Hawaii or the Gorge for a beginner, presumably in her 50's or 60's since the OP says they're "retiring", need to think a little bit longer before suggesting what I assume must be YOUR favorite spot. Those would have to be two of the worst spots to teach an older beginner!)

With those considerations in mind, the Turks & Caicos Islands (Providenciales) would be my first suggestion. If you want to stay in the US, I suggest Hatteras Island (book morning lessons on Hatteras, when the wind isn't so strong). The TCI has shallow and perfectly clear water, and the winds are consistent and relatively light. (Yes, I have seen one or two small sharks at Long Bay, but they are more of a curiosity than an intimidation, and you can see them from afar because the water is so clear.) Hatteras has stronger wind with typical U.S. water (i.e., not clear), but the shallows go on for miles. In both locations, you'll find good quality instruction. April through October is good at Hatteras, and September through March or April works best for the TCI.

Just my humble opinion, of course. :thumb:

TPink
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TPink » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:21 am

gotta throw in the A B C's (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao)

All a bit different, except the weather, always good and windy...

I would start at Aruba.

Return to “Kitesurfing”