Perfect place for wife to learn to kite

forum for kitesurfers

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Re: Perfect place for wife to learn to kite

Postby Laughingman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:54 pm

SSK wrote:
the beach is okay but that is not where you will be taking lessons, the sound is more like a huge swamp... there are duck blinds all over the place so you get the idea. very few large soft clean sandy rigging spots, mostly grassy sandy muddy... not the place to woo your wife into the sport if she has reservations.... and its certainly not beach weather till summer. I love it there but it is not what you are looking for in order to woo your wife
Laughingman's description of Hatteras is a pretty misleading representation. Yes it is not tropical, but just as nice. The sound is not like a huge swamp. The vast majority is sandy bottom and comfortable to walk around in. There are a few muddy spots if you are back in the canals. I have never met anyone who describes the beaches as "just okay". There are definitely not duck blinds everywhere. I can count on one hand all the duckblinds in the tri-villages. And it is pretty much beach weather from early May - early October. Maybe a ligth spring suit in May and October, but warm water. If you rent a house on the sound or beach during May, June, July, Sept, or October and your wife is not "wooed" and does not learn to kite, I would just get a divorce. To high maintenance. There is probably no more comfortable place to learn. Since money is no option, rent a big house with sound access so you can kite in and out.
Come on now, the beaches in Hatteras are nice, but they are certainly not tropical. The Caribbean has much nicer beaches, there is simply no contest. Sure you can go to the beach in Mar to October.. but if you are getting in the water you are likely going to want rubber. I doubt OPs wife is interested in cooking and cleaning and shopping and having to do all the things that they do at home so renting a house is probably not great either.
My wife learned with Ty in Hatteras... but she already knew what she was getting into watching me kite for years. My read on what Grizwald is saying... his wife is entertaining the idea for him, and if she can find some reason not to like it... that will be the end of it, Grizwald is trying to sell kiting (the life style) to his wife.

And as far as the sound is concerned... sandy bottom... is that why most people learning are told to wear foot protection... I've had more foreign objects stuck in my feet in the sound then any other place on earth! When the shore is lined with spiny seaweed and sharp sea shells embedded into muck and/or rock break walls to stop erosion and then swam grass slicks (which are awesome) but not tropical. The widest beach on the sound is kite point... you can't tell me you don't find it swampy there...

Here is one of my favorite ones Hatteras cannot compare... imho
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG
Hatteras Pics
164897_10151561848053584_809780188_n.jpg
164897_10151561848053584_809780188_n.jpg (55.9 KiB) Viewed 806 times
DSC_0018 7.jpg
DSC_0058 18.jpg
I think it is pretty clear....

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:58 pm

and a few more thanks to JeromeL

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392244&p=925686#p925686

ROFLMAO - not a swamp...

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: All kinds.

Postby POACHER » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:35 pm

I've been to both, and yes both are primetime. Provo in TC is unbeatable in my mind for teaching someone if budget isn't a concern. Hatteras is awesome too, but you can't touch the Caribbean for gorgeous beaches, water clarity and a place to hit the smooth button with the Mrs. My wife actually expressed some interest in kiting after our vacation to TC this winter. It's the nicest water we've seen yet.

Laughingman isn't wrong really.....there are some parts of Hatteras that suck. We had to stay in Buxton in 2011 because the hurricane leveled the house we had reserved. That was the nastiest stuff I've kited in. Mucky shit bottom, sharp objects everywhere with stuff squirming all over the place. Booties were a must. It stunk like complete ass too with dead seagrass everywhere(I know....mostly due to the Hurricane.) I wouldn't go back to Hatteras if that was my first experience with it. Luckily I know where the promised land is and keep going back.

Both places are awesome. I love kiting Hatteras and the Caribbean. If I had a choice I know which place I'd go if cash wasn't a consideration.
I think it's win/win either way. Just make sure you pick the right place in Hatteras! My $.02.

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Brown's Bay Wolfe Island
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bigdog » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:00 pm

I have to Hatteras many times and I think its a great place to learn and progress. Can anyone tell me how SPI compares nd where you should ride and stay? ANy good beach pics too ;)

Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Mexico
Style: strapless freeride, surf
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Firewire

Postby Jwoo » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:12 pm

My 2 cents worth again, I'd go to Hatteras ( if it works out for you) for lessons and wait to go to Turks and Caicos until she's independent. T&C is beautiful but I think it would be MUCH more enjoyable, especially because of how much it costs, if you were both out riding all day together rather than her only being able to enjoy her two hour lesson. I won't go back until my wife and I can both kite together and enjoy it more, which will hopefully be soon!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: what works for the day

Postby PullStrings » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:19 pm

Grizwald wrote:Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
To clarify. Until I am officially released from bondage I have very little choice about when I can take time off.
Griz
Are you a good kiteboarder ? Is your wife really motivated and can't wait to get good at kiting ?
If so don't even wait til your retirement.
You go and teach her yourself.
Many of us have done it successfully.
Girlfriend...wife...it does not matter..be nice..be patient..do not bark instructions and foremost keep her safe.
By the time you both retire you can just have fun together on the water.
Is it possible for you to get out of bondage and teach her at least once a week til the big day arrives ?

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:41 pm

PullStrings wrote: ...

You go and teach her yourself.
Many of us have done it successfully.
Girlfriend...wife...it does not matter..be nice..be patient..do not bark instructions and foremost keep her safe.
By the time you both retire you can just have fun together on the water.
Is it possible for you to get out of bondage and teach her at least once a week til the big day arrives ?
YEP -- get a 4-line traction kite, and teach her how to fly it on handles ; the transition to
a bar, is almost a non-issue. Smooth steady wind is a MUST ; just use the appropriate size kite .
The 1M ozone imp, is the kite my friend trained his 6 year old daughter on ; she was good enough
to use a buggy at age 7.

Bille

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:39 pm

around here we a have a name for a husband that teaches his wife. we call then divorced. you have to be a dictator when you teach. do this do that. you must body drag before you ride. couple hundred in lessons well worth it. also sometimes kiter in lessons gets scared they blame the instructor that's fine if you are teaching but if your wife thinks you secretly want her dead....

I know it can be done so cheers to those that a taught your wife. I wouldn't recommend it as your first choice.

i do recommend buying a trainer for her to play with while you ride.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:21 am

I would be surprised if there is anywhere in the world that offers a better combination learning environment & teaching knowhow than Hatteras. A couple of weeks of professional kite lessons should do it, at which point you could probably move on to many different places where your wife could practice & hone her skills. Hatteras is quite beautiful, in its way, but not equivalent to a Caribbean destination, but if your first priority is to make sure your wife gets to master the basics of kitesurfing I would seriously consider it. Any time from the end of April on, temps in Hatteras are likely to be in the '70's, which is surely warm enough for comfortable kiting.

jorg
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Best

Postby jorg » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:37 pm

we did a whole documentary about it.
http://hobbybetweenus.com

See the poll yourself:
http://hobbybetweenus.com/#Poll

edt wrote:around here we a have a name for a husband that teaches his wife. we call then divorced. you have to be a dictator when you teach. do this do that. you must body drag before you ride. couple hundred in lessons well worth it. also sometimes kiter in lessons gets scared they blame the instructor that's fine if you are teaching but if your wife thinks you secretly want her dead....

I know it can be done so cheers to those that a taught your wife. I wouldn't recommend it as your first choice.

i do recommend buying a trainer for her to play with while you ride.

Return to “Kitesurfing”