Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Perfect place for wife to learn to kite

forum for kitesurfers

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Advance Kaiman-5 12m
Ozone Edge 9m (2012)
Ozone Edge 11m (2012-2017 - RIP)
Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Perfect place for wife to learn to kite

Postby gilana » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:09 pm

A sailboat in the San Blas Islands ticks every box you listed. My better half learned there at 55 years old, starting in thigh deep water on white sandy bottom. Sleep 100m away from the beach or sandbank. In January 10 days will get her kiting for sure.

Grizwald
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:42 pm

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I continue to research every place that anyone has suggested.
I am not good enough or crazy enough to try and teach my wife myself. We do have a trainer and she is reasonably proficient at it. I am going to encourage her to go to the local wake park before we head out into the kiting realm. She is a brilliant snow skier but has no board sport experience at all.
She is interested in giving kiting a go but wants it to be in a nice place with lots of room. The local spot has showoffs doing tricks ten feet off a very small launch area while rookies are trying to get in or out. It usually amounts to some sort of accident about once an hour in the summer.
She definitely wants warm shallow water. We are probably looking at January February of next year. We could wait a few months if necessary to get the best wind in the perfect place if necessary.
Again thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Griz

h11t0n
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: East Coast Park, Singapore; Trikora Beach + Agro Beach, Bintan;
Favorite Beaches: Adam's Bridge, Mannar, Sri Lanka; Kalipitiya, Sri Lanka;
Style: Freeride
Gear: Stats
=====
Heavy weight 90kg 180cms

Kites
====
F-One Bandit 6 (8m,11m,14m)
Ozone Zephyr 2014 17m

Boards
======
Shinn Monk Midnight Lover (135 × 42)
Shinn Shinnster
Shinn Speedball W18 Gen 1
Nobile Flying Carpet (160 × 46)

Harness
=======
Mystic Code 01
Brand Affiliation: None but willing to sell out to the first person who puts enough money in my hand.......;).

Postby h11t0n » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:43 am

Grizwald wrote:Hello All,
I know there have been multiple variations on this post before and I apologize for bringing it up yet again but I am looking for the perfect place in the world to take my wife to learn to kite board. I am willing to spend whatever it takes, travel wherever necessary. We will be retired in 265 days so we will have the time to stay for months if necessary. I am going to have only one shot at this so it needs to be as perfect as possible. Nice weather, nice accommodations, nice people, good food, wine, things to do if the wind doesn't cooperate, safe enough that we are not going to fear for our lives getting out of the airport, warm shallow flat water.

We have gone to south padre a couple of times. It has great conditions once you get to the water it rather lacks in the other attributes. Texas sports bars not withstanding.

Thank you for your suggestions,
Griz
Griz,

I live in Asia and I can recommend a few spots here if you want to make a holiday of it too Wakatobi(Indonesia) or Mannar in Sri Lanka, etc. Its warm water kiting and they aren't fished out areas packed with kiters.

BTW, has your wife done some sessions with a trainer kite yet? This helps loads and loads. She could be onto blind flying and figure 8's in only a couple of hours. Unless you have access to system 2.0 I'd also recommend boat verses cable for beginners with no previous board skills. Its an easier start and the wipeouts are less sketchy. Thats how my wife learned. This will make her life and yours infinitely easier.

Best of luck with your journey bro.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:07 pm

She is a brilliant snow skier but has no board sport experience at all.
One other thing worth considering: The absolute easiest way of learning to kite is to do it on snow with skis. I don't know where you live, but if you are somewhere proximate to snow & not planning on introducing her to kitesurfing until next year, I would recommend she try kite skiing. She could start with the trainer kite & progress by easy steps to a bigger, more powerful kite. She wouldn't have to deal with the issues of water starting, water launching & (especially) dealing with the surge of power required to get planning on water. She would get the basics of controlled kite flying while moving & edging against the pull of the kite & would, no doubt, enjoy the feeling. Having this sorted out will make the transition to water MUCH easier.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:23 pm

Flyboy wrote:
She is a brilliant snow skier but has no board sport experience at all.
One other thing worth considering: The absolute easiest way of learning to kite is to do it on snow with skis. I don't know where you live, but if you are somewhere proximate to snow & not planning on introducing her to kitesurfing until next year, I would recommend she try kite skiing. She could start with the trainer kite & progress by easy steps to a bigger, more powerful kite. She wouldn't have to deal with the issues of water starting, water launching & (especially) dealing with the surge of power required to get planning on water. She would get the basics of controlled kite flying while moving & edging against the pull of the kite & would, no doubt, enjoy the feeling. Having this sorted out will make the transition to water MUCH easier.
PERFECT idea. :thumb:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Yah you guys are not married are yah?
LOL there is a huge difference between downhill skiing on a calm blue bird day and going out in a open field or frozen lake and snow kiting... hell I did it twice, never again, miserable conditions, freezing cold bone chilling wind, shitty icy barren snow conditions, wreck your skis hitting rocks. He wants his wife to want to kite... he doesn't want to freeze her solid!
I could count the amount of women kiters I know that go kiting in the winter on one hand... and I would not need all my fingers...

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:48 am

Haha! Point taken, Laughingman. You're right ...... a bad day on ice could be end of story. But it might be worth a shot on the right day if she's more comfortable on snow skis than in the water. Only Griz knows for sure!

BTW, I am married (some days, only marginally), but my wife won't go near a kite. So you're correct that I'm way outside my area of expertise. :rollgrin:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:13 am

I suppose that makes me the local pro. Took my wife 4 years to get the bug, fortunately she had enough exposure to the local launches that she already accepted she would be Kiting in swamps half the time. Ty Lucket did a good job getting her started in the Pamilco Sound. I finished the job at home.I never tried to get her to kite, I was happy she was there to launch and land me and take pictures... Now I gotta do all that and take pictures of her... Fuck sakes!
Anyhow, sometimes it's better to let them figure it out for themselves...

Kitehatteras
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Cape Hatteras
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitehatteras » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:57 pm

I took Laughingmans wife out, and she did great. She was booked for three days and only got 2-days of wind. That third day would of made A huge difference, that's the day things really line up in A huge way. Anyway, I am glad she is having fun.

Ty Luckett

Grizwald
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:21 pm

Gentlemen,
re snow kiting. I suggested it and got "the look". To be fair to my wife she is not a blue sky skier and will rip through a black diamond mogel field in visibility that would challenge a seeing eye dog but wind on a frozen lake doesn't have much appeal.
I am checking out the Asian sites. Thanks for those. While the venue has not been nailed down the plan will be to rent a place for at least a month so we can have some wiggle room in terms of wind.
In addition to the spots themselves if anyone has any specific recommendations with regards to accommodation those would be gratefully received.
Thanks everyone,
Griz

Return to “Kitesurfing”