Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Perfect place for wife to learn to kite

Postby Oldpeople » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:59 pm

For my 2 cents san andres colombia is where I would take her. Warm clear water flat really good instruction and inexpensive. Easy flights from US. Check posts about it and look at toby's pics of "the colors of san andres".
You have the right idea about taking a month. Besides being sure you will get enough good wind days she will be able to take it nice and slow and only go when conditions are just right. Its a steep learning curve and I felt when learning that about 1 and 1/2 hours at a time was all I could really absorb at a time. A friend of mine's wife learned at 62. She took every step very slowly and spent a very long time just flying the kite before getting on a board. So she was very comfortable with the kite before getting jerked around. Worked for her. She loves to kite now and is doing jumps.
I have watched a lot of people learn to kite over the last 4 years. The people who were the most successful had good instructors, learned in very flat water in mild winds. And their teachers had plenty of kites and boards to choose from so that for every lesson they were on the optimum kite/board for them at that moment. And they never were taught by by their boy friend/girl friend!
For san andres you would want to go in january to mid february. Message me if you have questions. And good luck. My wife ( who learned to wakeboard in her 60's so was certainly able) watched me learning to kite and said it just didn't look like fun.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Kitehatteras wrote:I took Laughingmans wife out, and she did great. She was booked for three days and only got 2-days of wind. That third day would of made A huge difference, that's the day things really line up in A huge way. Anyway, I am glad she is having fun.

Ty Luckett
Absolutely no doubt Ty is the best instructor on OBX, and he stands out further because of his boat setup.
http://www.kitehatteras.net/towertime.html

My wife had zero board skills, so this tower setup Ty has was invaluable to us.
If you do choose OBX as your destination for your wife to learn, definitely do her a favor and call Ty

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:06 am

Yah you guys are not married are yah?
LOL there is a huge difference between downhill skiing on a calm blue bird day and going out in a open field or frozen lake and snow kiting... hell I did it twice, never again, miserable conditions, freezing cold bone chilling wind, shitty icy barren snow conditions, wreck your skis hitting rocks. He wants his wife to want to kite... he doesn't want to freeze her solid!
I could count the amount of women kiters I know that go kiting in the winter on one hand... and I would not need all my fingers...
Geez - you should be ashamed of yourself! Call yourself a Canuck! :nono:

Well yes, I am married & lived for 12 years on Lake Simcoe, so got lots of snow kiting in. Can't say I ever got my wife into it, but then again, she's not much of a downhill skier. If Grizwald's wife is a good skier & happy to do it on a snowy/windy day she'll have no problem snow kiting. No: don't go out when it's cold, windy & icy. You wouldn't want to do that downhill skiing either. Pick a good day: sunny, not too cold, 10 - 15 mph wind, packed snow or a few inches of powder on a packed base. She'll have a great time & feel much more confident when it comes to trying on water. (This is dependent on being close to snow kiting country, of course)

Wavebunny
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Malibu
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: What style?
Gear: Core/Carved

Postby Wavebunny » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:05 pm

Hope this helps, from the girl side of things:
1. We freeze easily and much faster than you, so I vote for T&C. Brazil is warm, yes, but no place for beginners: huge shorebreak (even experienced instructors get mauled) and strong current on the ocean side and lagoons swarming with pros who make you feel like a bug for just daring to go near them (Toby is an exception)
2. It's so OK to teach your girl to kite! I don't understand the problem. Maybe I'm missing smth. But hey, If you get divorced over kiting, you were probably going to get divorced anyway.
3. In time, she'll change your style, may challenge you to do more fancy stuff that looks good in photo stream, and just knowing you are the role model makes you better, bigger, safer and more of a gentleman.
4. My honest advice is: once you teach her to kite your way NEVER EVER give into peer pressure and push her to kite someone else's way. That is really counterproductive! If there is anything we don't forgive is being a push-over and not having a syle of your own.

I think every kitesurfer should teach a girl to kite and commit to her safety for life. It might make the kiteworld a better place, less stressful and opinionated. :wink:

Grizwald
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Wavebunny. Thanks for that perspective. I will cogitation long and hard about it. I think in our case my wife has seen me do so many stupid things it is hard for her to accept that I know how to do anything.
Flyboy. The very first time I ever saw anyone kiting was on lake Simcoe. It was on the ice in Barry Bay. Very small kite and the guy was on skates. if memory serves me Gondwanaland was still together at that time. I now live in an area where frozen water is found in the freezer not in a lake. We have to travel to the mountains to ski.
Oldpeople I was surprised to see that San Andreas is much closer to Nicarauga than Colombia, although it is owned by Colombia.
Thanks again everyone,
Griz

Wavebunny
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Malibu
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: What style?
Gear: Core/Carved

Postby Wavebunny » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:51 pm

you got me, Griz. Now I'll be wondering what stupid things you've done forever... Maybe you can write a memoir. I'll read it. Good luck! BTW, you are still alive! At your age, that's a pretty good indicator you ain't that stupid. I look up to you in that respect and hope to make it. Hats off!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:02 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Yah you guys are not married are yah?
LOL there is a huge difference between downhill skiing on a calm blue bird day and going out in a open field or frozen lake and snow kiting... hell I did it twice, never again, miserable conditions, freezing cold bone chilling wind, shitty icy barren snow conditions, wreck your skis hitting rocks. He wants his wife to want to kite... he doesn't want to freeze her solid!
I could count the amount of women kiters I know that go kiting in the winter on one hand... and I would not need all my fingers...
Geez - you should be ashamed of yourself! Call yourself a Canuck! :nono:
Hah.... I lived in the Sault for many years, I know winter well, and what we get down here in SWO is not what I would call usable snow. I just do not get the attraction to lake or open flat field snow kiting, give me a mountain side and some soft puffy snow that somehow holds onto the ground on a blue bird day with 15mph, I would be all over it. But just to kite on a frozen lake... I'd rather take a golf nap.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:20 pm

Oldpeople wrote:For my 2 cents san andres colombia is where I would take her.
that's almost on the equator. is there any wind there?

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Postby Oldpeople » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:38 am

San andres is in the caribbean trades. Nice wind december to march generally and for some reason also in july. It at 12 degrees latitude. Same as aruba (but no comparison as to wind strength) , bonaire, and grenada.

Grizwald
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Windbunny. There was the time I tried to teach her rock climbing and we were stuck on the cliff in a freak thunderstorm. The bike trip from Amsterdam to Rome where we ended up in Marseille. The trip to Guatemala where we (in no particular order) were robbed, pickpockets, held hostage, pinned down in a fire fight, had the windows of our hotel shot out and ended up sleeping in a cave because we couldn't get back to town. Then there was the hike in New Zealand were she followed me across a crater broke through and melted her hiking boots. The airplane flight where I ran out of gas and had to land on a Mesa. The sailboat that I chartered sight unseen that kept trying to sink. The sailboat that I grounded in front of about a hundred other boats. The list goes on and on and on. I am not really worried about divorce but I am worried that one day she will become so fed up that she will shoot me in ass. Most of our friends wonder shy she hasn't done so already. Thus it is fear of being shot that prevents me from trying to teach her to kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”