Medium Poster
Local Beach: Malibu
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: What style?
Gear: Core/Carved
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Perfect place for wife to learn to kite

Postby Wavebunny » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:57 am

Grizwald & wife, you are a blast! Giggling my head off. Your life deserves a movie. At least she can't complain life with you has been boring. Oh and, you'll survive a shot in the ass. I did! Why stop having fun now? Teach her to swim after unhooked kites, survive wave tumbles and material malfunctions, get sand burns, and so much more that's just inevitabe if you want to operate a kite. A few lessons w a pro are OK, but I really strongly recommend you teach her your style at the beginning. There are too many opinions out there. You want the family on the same page. Look at Arnie! Dems and Republicans really can't live under the same roof. You must agree on one style, otherwise you'll be singing "Are you lonesime tonight"...

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Absolutely horrible advice, do not think you are an instructor just because you can kite. There will be plenty of time afterwards to teach good habits and develop systems that work for both you you. The lessons required to get her out on the water independently will not have any negative effect on what "style" she learns.
Once she is skilled enough to safely fly a kite and be somewhat independent then you can work on how things are done regarding your style or systems or habits.
If she comes out of lessons thinking she is the authority on how things should be done... there is more wrong then just a few life choices...

Wavebunny
Medium Poster

Postby Wavebunny » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Seriously? I've seen enough drunk, stoned, half asleep or bad instructors to doubt Laughman is an expert at anything

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Wavebunny wrote:Seriously? I've seen enough drunk, stoned, half asleep or plain bad instructors to doubt Laughman is an expert
1. I never suggested using a drunk, stoned or half asleep instructor, if you cannot research and make a wise choice on who will be teaching your loved one to kite then you have bigger problems.
2. There is no need for personal attacks Wavebunny. I am speaking from my personal experience as I have been in the OPs shoes.

Your response suggest you fit this description
If she comes out of lessons thinking she is the authority on how things should be done... there is more wrong then just a few life choices...

Wavebunny
Medium Poster

Postby Wavebunny » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Yes, slaves need masters... If there are none around, they'll invent them, I know... Sad world

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:14 pm

all i know is that griz is having a killer life. bike trips from amsterdam to rome, trips all over the place, hikes in beautiful new zealand, climbing volcanoes sailboating all over the place.

And think about this, despite griz doing it seems every sport in the book he is still trying to get his wife to kiteboard. Says a lot about how awesome our sport is. he could be doing pretty much anything else in the world. I sure hope she is able to pick it up.

Wavebunny
Medium Poster

Postby Wavebunny » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:55 am

Grizwald, please take my advice w a grain of salt. I speak from personal experience. What else? But my husband, who taught me, is a licensed instructor, even though he never practices. Try to get your license, then you'd be on the safe side teaching her. Sorry if I was wrong!

Grizwald
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:58 am

Thanks again to everyone. Wavebunny thank you for the encouragement. I will definitely help and encourage my wife after she has taken lessons with someone who is much better than I am. Currently I am still searching for the perfect place for her to take lessons and if necessary I will bring an instructor to her. Kiting is indeed an awesome sport and I want both of us to enjoy it for a good long time.

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:40 am

Yeah, I kinda taught my wife to kitesurf 16 years ago (but basically she taught herself)
in the middle of Tampa bay in a boat. I just handed her off the kite, bar and directional
board and she went brilliantly right off the start,,,, for half a mile when as I was following
her in the boat , I said "watch out for the mangroves!" Then she just fell off the board
and I changed places with her. Nothing really too hard if you explain patiently what to do.
We then spent time and kitesurfed Mexico, San Carlos (the other one). Cali, Gorge, Tampa again, Hatteras,
Puerto Rico, Corpus Christie, Dominican Republic, South Florida, South Carolina and Pensacola.
The best place of these to actually learn is in Hatteras. Warm?, shorty or 2m full? clear water? Meh...
windy, shallow and cheap. Anyways, the morale here is that she learned fine on her own in the
first year without bodydragging or a trainer kite first. These were bona fide four line not much
de-powerable kites. She just used only as much power and board edging as was needed. I helped when she
had questions. Jan to Feb is kinda South Fl time. Goto Crandon Park in Key Biscayne, Miami. Expensive tho.

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:56 am

We usually goto Hatteras in May, Dominican Republic in June, Gorge in August and the rest of the year in Florida or Skiing in Hood Meadows, OR or WV.

Return to “Kitesurfing”