forum for kitesurfers

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Slingshot Wave SST for 2017?

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks for the 12M feedback! Hmmm, I wonder if at sea level, with a big board, it'd be a light wind kite. Well, all I want to do it be able to kite in 12mph, with a big board, at 180 lbs. So, replace my 12M Rally with a 12M SST.

And yeah, those 2011/2012 Rallys were light. I'm sure the current generation of Rallys is heavier than them as well. The 3 strut Rallys rolled up real small and compact. The new ones have those little wingtip struts that will add probably the same weight or more than what you see on the SSTs. It's a tough call... for durability, they add more material and reinforcements. That stuff takes up weight, though!
proletariat wrote:Oh yeah, and also interested if anyone knows about additional 2017 design changes.
Seems like the mail was answered by the KB post. These are the 4 refinements for 2017, as I read them;
SS wrote:-For 2017 we're releasing more sizes to include a full range (4-10 meter and 12 meter) so kiters can set themselves up with the perfect quiver.
-Trailing edge tension is now controlled with the addition of Teijin T2 Polyester ripstop canopy material, which decreases trailing edge flutter and increases durability.
-We reinforced the one-pump inflation valve's connection to the bladder to help prevent blowouts caused by improper hose attachment/detachment.
-Finally, we added two Kevlar patches to prevent bridle rub on the trailing edges.
:thumb:

Hasse
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Agger, Hanstholm
Style: Wave and Wakestyle
Gear: Switch Kites, LF Boards
Brand Affiliation: Team Rider for Switch Kite

Postby Hasse » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:20 pm

So I was out with the new 2017 Wave SST last Friday. Some new things on it. But not so many.

It's performance like the old one almost. In my eyes is was it maybe a little bit quicker but that can be for it was smaller then the 6:er I try earlier.

Love the new graphic any way. Need to try it more before a real judgement...

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Guincho
Gear: RPM 9m, 7m, 4.5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', Airush Converse 5'11'', FW Spifire 5'8''
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Al_Kiter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm thinking of selling my 2012 RPM's (7m and 9m) and going for the 2017 wave sst. I ride 99% of the time in waves with a surfboard strapless and strapped. Looking at the wind ranges I was considering of going for a 7m and a 10m. Would that give me a range similar to my RPMs or should I go with a 7m and 9m?

ulx
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller area
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:53 pm

I didn't try rpm and SST head to head. But had rpm's before SSTs and had the feeling they have pretty similar pull. So, I would probably go for 7 & 9 if you liked that with the rpm's.

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Al_Kiter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks ulx. I'm also tempted to go for the 9/7, but I find it strange that Slingshot states the windrange of the Wave SST 9m is only 17-28 knots while the RPM 9m is 14-29 knots. Seems like, on paper, the wave SST 10m has a more similar range as the 9m RPM:

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 3
Local Beach: altona
Favorite Beaches: pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: NRG 2014, Ride , REO,

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:29 am

hi,

I have the 2016 sst 6, 8 , 10 and 12. They are great for wave riding, turning, drifting, built quality but suck taking you up wind. The SST need more wind than other kites on the same size. The vendor said on his video "they don't know s...." I know because I have many other brands of kites and i can feel the difference. Also I can see my mates going upwind and I am not catching up to them. It takes longer to get back to the start point. I know how to kite. Why i don't sell if I am not happy because I can't afford to buy another quiver again. I am stuck with this one for a very long time.

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Al_Kiter » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 am

That's a very interesting point. Looking at the SS description they give a better upwind ability to the wave sst compared to the rpm. Myself, I never had any trouble going upwind with rpms. Would you say the upwind ability is actually worst?

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 3
Local Beach: altona
Favorite Beaches: pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: NRG 2014, Ride , REO,

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 am

it is my personal opinion. I always said Demo then buy. last summer I demo the kite for a few hours and like it. I purchased the 12 meter a few months later. I noticed it was not as good as my NEO kites but it was good. I got a killer deal and purchase the 10, 8 and 6 kites. I have been using them for 6 months- twice a week. I can see the different in upwind with the following kites, Airrush Waves, REO, NEO and the boots from flysurfer. I am sure there a lot of people that would disagree about the upwind issue. . It is an amazing kite but I like getting back to the take of zone as soon as possible. I will be changing boards as soon I see a killer deal for a Tomo Vanguard 5 foot to help me with the upwind.

cheers

ulx
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller area
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Al_Kiter wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 am
That's a very interesting point. Looking at the SS description they give a better upwind ability to the wave sst compared to the rpm. Myself, I never had any trouble going upwind with rpms. Would you say the upwind ability is actually worst?
I was a bit surprised by the other comments. But I guess personal preference is always a big factor.

I just talked to a friend of mine who has used rpm and SST head to head. He confirms what was my guessing, that they are pretty similar both in range an der upwind ability. So, if you were happy with upwind riding with your rpms you should be happy with the SSTs.

I have not witnessed yet that everybody around me is riding upwind more efficiently than I do with the SSTs.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Al_Kiter wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 am
I don't have an issue going upwind on my SSTs, but I have to say I haven't done side by side comparisons with other kiters on similar gear. I saw an interview with Tony Logosz when it first came out... He was describing the effect of those little bungees in the bridle on the kite's position in the wind window. When you have no trim pulled in, bar tight, the kite will sit forward in the wind window and go upwind great. When you have depower pulled in and/or you sheet out, you can see the kite actually sit back in the wind window a bit, and it does not go upwind as well. There's something about the bungee changing the balance point of the bridle to affect where the kite sits. I believe this is by design so that when you are riding a wave, you can sheet out, the kite will kick back, let the wave pull you, and not yank you off it. I'm speaking out my ass a bit as it's been a while since I've seen the video, but, by design the kite will fly differently at different times. So, pay attention to how you have it sheeted the next time you fly it and you will see it change position in the wind window. :thumb:

I love the platform. Think it's the most solid kite SS has ever made. To the OP, I'd say you can get the same sizes as you have in RPMs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”