Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Guincho
Gear: RPM 9m, 7m, 4.5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', Airush Converse 5'11'', FW Spifire 5'8''
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot Wave SST for 2017?

Postby Al_Kiter » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Yep. I ended up buying 7m and 9m 2017 Wave SSTs and had my first session today, first with the 7m and then, when the wind dropped a bit, with the 9m. Liked them very much as they flew very similar to my RPM's (perhaps a bit deeper in the window). Very grunty but didn't notice any difference going upwind compared to the RPM's. The turning speed didn't seem that much faster than the RPM, but the drifting was somewhat better.

In general I'm very pleased with the kites. The one pump speed system is amazing. Coupled with the new Kim K pump it's a big improvement over my old kites. I think I pumped the 7m with 5 or 6 strokes or, at least that's how it felt :thumb:

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: Ocean Rodeo, Ride Engine and Slingshot.

Postby tommeltot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:42 pm

What weight are you Al and what board are you riding?

I haven't experienced riding conditions to date that'll test the low end of either the 7 or 9 SST's I have on demo. If anything I've been in over powered conditions with both. At 64 kilos and riding a strapless 5'6" board they drift nicely, turn sharply and handle the gusts well. I feel they need to be 'driven' down wind briefly to build some speed and they don't go upwind as easily as my current kites. That said I was still able to ride in and out from my starting position.

Today I was on the 7m here on the south coast UK and had the kite fully de-powered. I think I would need a 5, 7 & 9 quiver or 6 and 8.

I'm not a fan of the Compstick Sentinel above bar trim. Despite the magnet designed to hold the excess trim line on the cleat I found it didn't work and having if flap about in front of me was annoying. I would purchase the Guardian control bar or pair the kites with an alternative compatible bar from another brand.

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Guincho
Gear: RPM 9m, 7m, 4.5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', Airush Converse 5'11'', FW Spifire 5'8''
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Al_Kiter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm 82kg and I rode with an Airush converse 6'1'' by 18 1/4'' (not exactly a light wind board). I could go well enough with the 7m while the wind was around 20knots and then it dropped a bit (probably 15-17 knots) and the 9m was enough to keep me going upwind. These kites like to sit deep in the window and you loose a bit of ground to gain speed, but once you're powered up you can move them further to the edge of the window and they go upwind as well as any other low-AR.

I also bought the guardian bar as I much prefer the depower below the bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”