Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Research on "High Hook" seat harnesses

Postby lindseym » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:18 am

I love my mystic worrier and found that a L is perfect. I should wear a medium but my believe is that the extra back support (surface area) is what's kept me free of any back issues...well, that and tons of Yoga. I am curious though about getting a seat harness. When I ride really overpowered I can tell it does a job on my back. I read in previous forums how Toby used the Pat Love 2Go for its high hook. I have the Airstyle DVD and have watched it many times and didnt even realize he was on a seat harness. Black board shorts seems to be the key for minimizing any "diaper look." So, I did a ton of hunting for "high (or med) hook" seat harnesses and found the following. Please input any thoughts or experience you have. Thanks all

1) Pat Love 2Go - This is what Toby uses or at least used in the Airstyle vids. It looks really comfy but a bit big. As mentioned though, it definitely doesn't have that diapering look. The only issue, they no longer make them. You can find a few on Ebay or German sites but I ultimately decided not to go with this one.

2) Dakine chameleon - This is a hybrid harness you velcro the seat onto. My only issue is that the actual seat looks a bit too bulky and while the strap going through the spreader bar is nice, its a bit too much when you are using the seat option. Even still, it looks pretty tight and is a good consideration.

3) ION X-Over (RevoXX & Axis) - Just like the Dakine, these 2 crossover line harness give you the capability to attach a separate seat to a waist harness. The only issue is that they don't give you an image of the actual seat portion. Although, I think its the one in the picture of the kids harness (Ripper X). It looks alot like Dakine but again, there's really no way to tell unless it can be tried on. Will not go with this one though on the account that I don't know what the seat portion looks like.

4) Ocean Rodeo Session2 - I like this harness and it looks pretty solid. Its been given alot of positive feedback here (search Ocean Rodeo session) and provides you with straps so you can turn the waste harness into a seat harness. My only issue with this one is that the straps seem a bit old school (straps to lock down). It does however look nice and this one is the runner up...or may be the winner.

5) ION X-Cite - This harness seems like it is best suited for my needs. They pitch it for those who want a waste harness feel but also want the support of a seat. It has a shorts look similar to the Pat Love and is not so "diapery" looking. With black boardshorts I imagine it will be difficult to tell. The Hook is high and ION makes really good stuff so even if I don't like it the resell value should remain intact. This will probably be the one I buy.

Just some random research I thought I'd share. Again, if anyone knows of any more or has any input on the above please post.
Cheers,
Lm

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Research on "High Hook" seat harnesses

Postby foilholio » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:06 am

You may wonder how the low hooks on nitrous shorts can still work, but all the forces stay on the hips not the back. If the hook is higher it will pull higher on your back, even on a seat...

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:17 am

My experience is that how your harness looks to others has zero impact on how you ride
These users thanked the author sarc for the post (total 3):
matth (Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:37 pm) • kjorn (Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:56 am) • FLandOBX (Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:05 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Good, tells me it worked with black shorts and black harness to avoid the seat harness look ;-)

For me the Xcite is ok, but it didn't sit as good as the 2Go. Gabe me more pain in the back and rips.

But try it and see how it works...I assume it will be good for you. We are all differently shaped.
Let us know!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:57 pm

sarc wrote:My experience is that how your harness looks to others has zero impact on how you ride

Amen!!!

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rando1994 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Hey Lindsey,
Ive been riding the Nitrous for 7 years and never, ever feel back strain or have experienced any issues.
The single disadvantage I've found is the low hook placement makes it more difficult to body drag because the pull is nearer your center of gravity.
They are comfortable to ride in, and have plenty of support, imho.
See you on the water!
Rando

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Rando, do you ride powered? Or normal powered?

nescio
Rare Poster
Gear: F-one Bandit, Slingshot Rally

Postby nescio » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:44 pm

The single disadvantage I've found is the low hook placement makes it more difficult to body drag because the pull is nearer your center of gravity.
I've seen a comment like this before, so to just put in with a little anatomy lesson:
If you are a guy, you're center of mass/gravity is about an inch above your belly button. The more built up (muscled) you are, the higher it will be (unless of course you only ever do leg presses 1000x a day). This, btw, is opposite to a woman (center is an inch below belly button, moves down with muscle build up).

So on a waist the hook is placed quite well, near the center of mass of your body, dividing your weight in half below and above the harness. (a seat may still give you more support against the pull of the kite nevertheless).
So it's harder to body drag with a really low hook because it's actually not near your center of mass, and you're off balance.

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king

Postby Rando1994 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:50 am

Hey Toby, I ride powered up as much as possible. I'm 220lbs and ride my 16m up to 26-30mph.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:05 am

Mystic Star waist/seat. Best and worst of both worlds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”