Kiting since: 2014
Gear: 9&12m 2015 FX
7m 2012 Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None

Recoil to trimlite conversion, Cabrinha bar

Postby riseng » Sun May 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi all!

First time writing on this forum.

I currently own a couple of 2016 cabrinha overdrive 1x bars with the recoil system and I think the depower range is too short. I'm constantly having my hands up in the recoil system (long arms apparently) so I was thinking of converting it from recoil to trimlite.

Started disassembly this morning as I got a hold of a replacement part KS6QLCLKT from my local dealer.
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/spareparts ... ystem.html

What I found was that the flagging line / lower center line from the recoil system is too long to suit the trimlite system:

It seems like the trimlite system is way shorter than the recoil (black tube is shorter):

This leads me to believe that the center lines will be too short when fitted to trimlite compared to the recoil system? My dealer told me the lines were the same on both systems, are they really??
I must surely also be needing a shorter flagging line?

Anyone got any info?

Thanks!
Andreas

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Re: Recoil to trimlite conversion, Cabrinha bar

Postby matth » Sun May 01, 2016 8:54 pm

Sounds like you are riding overpowered or maybe you should just setup on the last Knot on the steering lines. I have both systems and like them both.
The recoil system IMO was ingenious. Once in the air it works great, controls always in reach and tons of depower when needed. Standard cleat systems work great but can be a challenge to reach at times.

riseng
Rare Poster
7m 2012 Switchblade

Postby riseng » Sun May 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Might be riding a bit overpowered. I really liked the old IDS bars where the depower range was longer (before hitting the recoil). Seems like the recoil has been brought closer on these new bars. I also don't like the new bungies as they are way too soft / have to pull the handles much farther than the old ones - hence why I would like to convert to trimlite!

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon May 02, 2016 2:09 am

Well you're flying cabrinha, so chances are your center lines have stretched quite a bit anyway to balance out any shortage you might have with the new setup :thumb:

riseng
Rare Poster
7m 2012 Switchblade

Postby riseng » Mon May 02, 2016 9:56 pm

lol, thanks dylan.

gator1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 4
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:26 pm

What you are saying doesnt make sense.

The recoil bar has more depower throw than the trimlight, so should suit you better.

If you are hitting the recoil spring then you are riding overpowered. You can shorten the spring or take it out.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Postby matth » Tue May 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Or just lengthen your back lines.....problem solved!!

riseng
Rare Poster
7m 2012 Switchblade

Postby riseng » Tue May 03, 2016 9:09 pm

So are you guys riding with the bar pulled all the way in? I like to have a bit more power available than that for bigger jumps, without having to constantly trim. Yes, the recoil have more available depower, but not unless the coil is completely compressed. I think the throw before the bar hits the spring is too short. Yes, I can shorten the spring, but Im considering that a last resort.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think theres to little depower, just that the length between the chickenloop and spring is too short.

foilonfoil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: El Segundo, CA / Torrance, CA / San Pedro, CA / Belmont Shore, CA / Seal Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Event Site, Hood River, OR / Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sherman Island, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 2 FR 11/13/15/18, Core Section 5/7/9/12, Alpinefoil 4.5/5.0 Carbon / Spotz Shark

Postby foilonfoil » Wed May 04, 2016 4:18 am

Cabrinha and just about everybody else have standardized on equal line length when trim is in full power position and bar is pulled in less than an inch from the stopper. This is a standard test that you should be familiar with...

If you are modding your bar, you possibly need to adjust line length through adding/removing extensions to the ends of the lines or adding extensions to the leader lines that exit the bar ends.

riseng
Rare Poster
7m 2012 Switchblade

Postby riseng » Sun May 22, 2016 12:10 pm

Ok, for those interested the conversion requires a new lower security line, the bungee one that goes through the rubber tubing, as the rubber tubing on the trimlite is shorter than the recoil. You will also need to lengthen and tune your center lines with a pigtail on both.

The Cabrinha part numbers required for the conversion (2016):
1x Trimlite cleat system: KS6QLCLKT
1x bungee line tensioner: KS6SLFLTL
2x center line pigtails: KS6RPCOST

Total cost is around $100

Follow the video instructions from Cabrinha for how do break it down.
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/videos/tech-tips.html

Bar feels way better with the increased throw from the cleat system imo.

Return to “Kitesurfing”