Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lib tech puddle jumper to replace sweet potato for light wind board

Forum for kitesurfers
clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,
Brand Affiliation: None

Lib tech puddle jumper to replace sweet potato for light wind board

Postby clint2070 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:37 am

So its been a year now that I've been waiting for someone to get the puddle jumper and write a review on it for light wind. I didn't want to be the one forking out the cash first only to find out I still needed my sweet potato for kiting in san Diego. I finally broke down and bought a 5'9" lib tech puddle jumper and rode it today for the first time. I was in a hurry so I didn't bring my potato with me so Ill have to follow up with this review when I can do a side by side comparison. Its also been a long time since I've had a need for original fcs fins so I had to pull the HI1s off my sup (really large fin !). I ordered the stretch quads but I might also order the Rainbow fins' Heater quads just because they are the closest to controllers but with fcs tabs, to make a true comparison between the 2 boards and get me out in ultra light winds. even though today is usually as light as I kite in. It was 12-14mph. I kited Tourmaline and the Silver Strand. The board goes up wind great and even did well at strand in 12mph. It handles steep drops coming in from behind the wave a lot better than the potato. It also likes having weight on the tail. The sweet potato hates this ! It takes off out from under you and leaves you on your ass. The puddle jumper likes being ridden on the tail. The HI1 fins stopped me from doing any really hard snap turns but I'm confident that when the stretch fins come in the mail that they will cure this problem. Im just hoping I won't need the controller type fin because they hinder performance and the whole reason for me buying this board is to have a more high performance light wind board then the potato. The construction seems solid but not bullet proof ! we will see if it stands the test of time ! Pressure dings are fine but delamn sucks. My FST potato with no reinforcement at all has lasted me 2.5 yrs and I finally have a small soft spot. Im very light footed though. Does anyone else have a puddle jumper ? What fins are you running on it ? Are you in light wind ?
This is my quiver:5'8" sweet potato fat 43L no reinforcement,5"2" sweet potato fst double 6oz full deck patch
5"7' tomo nano LFT with full wrap nose to tail 6oz glass job
5"8' Tomo vanguard fst no reinforcement (not kite construction)
5'9" lib tech puddle jumper 37.65L no reinforcement
Kites: 14,12,10,8m- 2016 Naish Pivots. 6m BWS Noise
Attachments
IMG_6634.JPG
IMG_6635.JPG

Hasse
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Agger, Hanstholm
Style: Wave and foil. Little freestyle.
Gear: Gin kites, Hyde Kites, Kauper.

Re: Lib tech puddle jumper to replace sweet potato for light wind board

Postby Hasse » Fri May 06, 2016 10:30 pm

I have one. But just use it for regular surfing. Maybe should try it for kite some day..

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat May 07, 2016 12:58 am

What size potato does the low end on the puddle jumper compare? Libtechs look a lot more durable than firewires, yours should last a long time.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat May 07, 2016 1:57 pm

I just got a Tomo Evo 5'10" for our mushy surf. Have not got out to try it yet will do that Monday morning. I have a 5'7" Wainman but it just does not have enough volume for our local waves most of the time.

How does your SP work in mushy waves. I was torn between the Evo and that board.

turfAndsurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Diego

Postby turfAndsurf » Thu May 12, 2016 5:15 am

TheJoe wrote:I just got a Tomo Evo 5'10" for our mushy surf. Have not got out to try it yet will do that Monday morning. I have a 5'7" Wainman but it just does not have enough volume for our local waves most of the time.

How does your SP work in mushy waves. I was torn between the Evo and that board.
I have also been debating between the Evo and Puddle Jumper. I was thinking I'm getting the Evo in the kite construction but apparently they're still working on it. I have surfed it and liked it a lot. My concern with the Puddle Jumper is the construction. I used to have the Lib Tech Ramp (older construction - apparently they're using high density foam now) for kiting mostly but I pretty much trashed it from jumping so much on it. I now have the Vanguard in the kite construction and I've been jumping a lot with it and and no dings, dents or cracks.

So have you had a chance to try Evo and what type of construction is it?

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:14 am

TheJoe wrote:I just got a Tomo Evo 5'10" for our mushy surf. Have not got out to try it yet will do that Monday morning. I have a 5'7" Wainman but it just does not have enough volume for our local waves most of the time.

The sweet potato works amazing in light wind with controller or sea worthy fins. I got the puddle jumper because of the low performance characteristics of the SP. If you step on the tail of the SP in a critical maneuver it will for sure come out from under you. Don't kite on your Evo ! its LFT construction won't last a minute and you'll rip out the fin boxes amongst other bad things. I had to completely regales my Nano and put a reinforced fin block in it. Now its bullet proof but at a major cost. $245

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu May 12, 2016 8:18 am

turfandsurf How did the Lib Tech Ramp fail? soft spots?

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:51 am

foilholio wrote:What size potato does the low end on the puddle jumper compare? Libtechs look a lot more durable than firewires, yours should last a long time.
I already have a front foot indention in my PJ my 5'8" SP took 3 years to get deck damage and it was just FST construction w/o enforcement. I bought the rainbow heater fins which are the original FCS copies of the sea worthies. I took both my 5'8 SP and 5'9 PJ to kite today meaning to do a side by side comparison but I was having so much fun on the PJ that I never compared them.I don't know if lib tech is claiming the new construction is dent proof rather than delamn proof but we will see. I like foot indentations but dolman and cracks in the glass are no good. we will see in time I guess. So far I love the board though. It cranks up wind and goes top to bottom no problem. Loves to be ridden on the tail ! And it also has a ton of drive with the right fins. Next I'm putting on my new from creature mitch coleborn vert front fins and rainbow heater rears to see what happens. I sold my vanguard kite construction and bought a fst 5"8 VG to replace it.Since Ive started to learn small strapless airs Ive decided that weight is as important as durability now. $500 for a year of use with progression is better than riding a pig forever. The kite construction VG will last forever if you keep it from sharp objects but it will fall off your feet when jumping.

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Thu May 12, 2016 4:20 pm

This may interest you.
It's similar in shape to the puddle jumper but it has beveled tail rails instead of just a bump.
And this board is made of soft flex memory foam.
Ive been riding it for 2 years now....no issues at all. No dings. And I have saved my skull a few times when it hit me rolling in the surf.
https://vimeo.com/166301738

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu May 12, 2016 5:34 pm

interesting! Is the memory foam on the outside like a softboard or inside under the glass?

Return to “Kitesurfing”