Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: modofying a bar to 5 line

Postby edt » Sun May 15, 2016 5:07 am

if you flag to a single center line on a 4 line fuel (in non-bridle mode) even one from 2016 unlike a bridled kite it spins like crazy and is a mess. still pretty nice to have a 5th line option if you want to use it. 5th line bar is also useful to have for flying pretty much all C kites except for the fuel like the vegas, torch, best gp.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun May 15, 2016 11:50 pm

edt wrote:if you flag to a single center line on a 4 line fuel (in non-bridle mode) even one from 2016 unlike a bridled kite it spins like crazy and is a mess. still pretty nice to have a 5th line option if you want to use it. 5th line bar is also useful to have for flying pretty much all C kites except for the fuel like the vegas, torch, best gp.
I had 2012 and 2013 fuels all different sizes and i've never experienced this. flagging the kite makes it flop around on one line with zero power just like any other kite i've ever flown.

i would actually say the amount of pull while flagged is even less than 5 line c-kites i've flown, that fly into the air upside down (like walking upwind while holding your kite's LE)

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun May 15, 2016 11:53 pm

dylan* wrote:I had 2012 and 2013 fuels all different sizes and i've never experienced this. flagging the kite makes it flop around on one line with zero power just like any other kite i've ever flown.
quite surprised this never happened to you. You've pulled the safety in 30+ knots before right? That's a good way to watch it spin. I wouldn't say the kite powers up, it just spins in the same direction making a huge twist in your lines. It's not unsafe just annoying. A bridled kite flops around a bit, that's fine. But I wouldn't say that a C kite flags the same way as a bridled kite on that single center line. Dunno how to explain why you haven't seen this.

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ragzilla » Mon May 16, 2016 1:42 am

dylan* wrote:wait a minute.. your fuel is powered up and relaunches when you "flag" it? you are using the wrong bar obviously, you need one that flags to a single front line. No need for a 5th line. Throw away the ancient gaastra crap and buy something from this century, all your problems will be solved

dunno why Ive got the energy to reply to this.

its a modern bar. 2015 from memory
it flags out to a single line.

also.... ive used a few bars. cab, naish, slingy, ozone, even a homemade bar.... this gaastra bar is great.... better than all the rest!!!!!!!!
line set up is super simple and easy. has above bar trim.... and the swivel is built into the QR (love it)....... whenever your lines are twisted, all you have to do is sheet in all the way to the QR and it un-twists....... its the first time ive ever had a swivel that works.

watch at 3:00min for QR swivel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfw1EXaxQ1k

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ragzilla » Mon May 16, 2016 2:07 am

edt wrote:
dylan* wrote:I had 2012 and 2013 fuels all different sizes and i've never experienced this. flagging the kite makes it flop around on one line with zero power just like any other kite i've ever flown.
quite surprised this never happened to you. You've pulled the safety in 30+ knots before right? That's a good way to watch it spin. I wouldn't say the kite powers up, it just spins in the same direction making a huge twist in your lines. It's not unsafe just annoying. A bridled kite flops around a bit, that's fine. But I wouldn't say that a C kite flags the same way as a bridled kite on that single center line. Dunno how to explain why you haven't seen this.

yep....... that's exactly what it does.
28knot on my 11m fuel a few days ago and it does like a half powered up death loop.
its not completely powered up, but there is still too much power to hold the flagging line in your hand.

dunno about you dylan, but when i flag my kite, i want it to stop!!!!!!!!!
i dont want it spinning, or re-launching.
im not even willing to punch out on land (havnt had to yet, but just incase)..... for fear that the kite will start spinning and destroy itself in the grass.
i also kite some skethcy spots with dodgy grass, rocks, swamps, and cows, and electric fences, and kangaroos...... and i reckon 9 outta 10 sessions are by myself, so nobody is assisting launching or landing.

i flew the 11m yesterday with the 5th line.
it was a little fiddly to get it perfect, but i did!
frontal system came through, and kicked up to 30-32knots......

i honestly reckon i got a bigger wind range with the 5th line.---> is that possible?

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon May 16, 2016 2:37 am

Yeah no idea what the problem with your kite is, mine falls like a rock out of the sky on a single line.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon May 16, 2016 2:39 am

rag you get a slightly better wind range with a 5th line on the fuel. I mean it's not much but a little bit. for the other c kites like the naish or vegas, they are designed to always have a 5th line so they get a lot more depower from having that 5th line than a 4 line kite like the fuel

Return to “Kitesurfing”