Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone replace their Ride Engine rope slider yet?

forum for kitesurfers

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None

Anyone replace their Ride Engine rope slider yet?

Postby Yodarocket31 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:47 pm

Has anyone discovered the average life cycle of the dyneema rope on the Ride Engine harnesses? Ride Engine has the specs on replacement rope from West Marine, it is not expensive to replace ($1.10 USD/foot).

Some of us replace a critical component early, some of us wait and try to get maximum use from them, regardless of price. Maybe it is like some people who fill up their gas tank at 1/2 full, other people always wait until the "Empty" light goes on.

It seems silly to replace this too frequently, but you certainly wouldn't want that rope snapping when you are boosting!

I am curious to hear what other people think. Below is a photo of my current rope, used 3-5x per month since January 1, 2016.
Attachments
Ride engine rope.jpg

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Re: Anyone replace their Ride Engine rope slider yet?

Postby Bushflyr » Tue May 17, 2016 12:49 am

That thing looks like hell. I'd definitely replace it. And I'm one of the "run it till it breaks" guys. But honestly I'd look into your slider. I've been running my rope with an Antal ring for something like 2 years and a couple hundred sessions and it still looks new. Whatever you're doing is resulting in abnormal wear and tear on that line.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Sherman Island, CA

Postby Yodarocket31 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:57 am

Thx, good to know! I have been using an anodized rappel ring, normally used for rock climbing. Before I bought the harness, I had heard of people using stainless steel rings/shackles and I didn't think anodized aluminum would wear much differently. If anything, I figured it would be lighter, and at least it had a listed strength rating.

I just looked up Antal rings on the West Marine site. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/antal--lo ... P014018253

Do you happen to know which size fit the curve of your chicken loop best? The chicken loop curves around the outer portion of the Antal ring and nests in the groove, right?

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Tue May 17, 2016 1:08 am

No because I haven't gotten the ride engine harness yet

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Tue May 17, 2016 1:36 am

I would not worry about replacing it just yet. You could wax it but until you tear thru a full strand your good. That rope is stupid strong. All so do you kite in a really sandy spot? Might be the cause of the wear. You don't really kite that much.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Sherman Island, CA

Postby Yodarocket31 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:40 am

TheJoe wrote:I would not worry about replacing it just yet. You could wax it but until you tear thru a full strand your good.
I haven't heard of anyone maintaining these dyneema ropes with wax, Ride Engine doesn't seem to mention it anywhere on their site or product info...

What kind of wax would you recommend?

3asy_pie
Rare Poster
Gear: Sonic 9m & 15m
Taaroa Sword 2

Postby 3asy_pie » Tue May 17, 2016 2:17 am

I've replaced mine once already. Maybe 5 months use multiple times a week. Luckily I was really close to shore. I now just wax my lines real with surf wax. Smooth and I tightened up my rope a bunch so now it's a touch closet to me.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Postby juandesooka » Tue May 17, 2016 2:43 am

Your rope snaps a km offshore and you'll have a long swim ahead. For the buck and for your safety, if not your wasted time, replace it, no question!

In the DIY threads, people using steel ring recommend using 2 rings -- spreads the load more evenly on rope, lessens the wear.

And I think a good tip: string a second rope, slightly looser so it takes no weight from the slider. Then, when you break your rope, you have a backup to get you back to the beach. However, that will cost you a second buck....so not sure of the cost-benefit. ;-)

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Tue May 17, 2016 3:33 am

As far as the original post with picture, I would replace that ugly thing! Not worth it.

Along these "lines" do you guys just replace them with stopper knots?

Has anyone had any issues with their QRs hanging up on the line? Whether through a ring or direct QR to line, when testing one in my kitchen, I didn't like how my QR slid out of the rope when direct contact to my QR. "Seems" like it could hang up. Thoughts?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Tue May 17, 2016 4:03 am

Well I would just use some paraffin wax. Soft waxes might not work as well since they would be more prone to clumping up and not sliding as well. The big problem with a slider like this is that your ropes tinsel strength is greatly reduced. I don't remember how much it drops vs the angle as I have not worked in construction in a long time and have not done any rigging in over 10 years. Rope is made to hold the load on the length of it not off to the side. If you do replace you might want to go with a larger diameter or a little longer piece of rope.

Return to “Kitesurfing”