Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / freeride / wave
Gear: Best & Axis
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: selecting a kiteboard

Postby Frank82 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:41 pm

h11t0n wrote: As regards the Carbon F-One Trax.......rides well, average upwind ability but I'm sorry shitty build quality. I had the 2013 it started delaminating after the second session.
They changed factories in 2014, solved that issue. F-one also has great warranty. The build quality has always been so-so but the latest models seem to be doing good. The carbon version is a bit more vulnerable than the regular version.

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Mon May 30, 2016 9:32 am

So many monk lovers out there including myself. I'm on my 3rd one. Gotta love it when something just works. They also come with a 2 year warranty and top notch customer service from Mr. Shinn himself. No doubt why his brand accelerates to the top.
Another board I've just bought but not tested yet is the Axis Vanguard. Couldn't resist the price with all good reviews backing it.

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Tue May 31, 2016 4:34 am

bought the shinn monk, thanks everyone.

Im 75kg and bought the 130x40. Thought about the 132x41, but decided to go smaller so I can ride overpowered.

It will be my travel board and the dimensions are right around the dimensional limit for regular luggage.

Jake-Skymonster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: 2016 Cabrinha FX 7/10/14
2016 Shinn Ultrasonic
Brand Affiliation: Co-owner at www.skymonster.com

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:10 am

Shinn Monk all the way - no spray in your face, superbly easy to ride, jumps high and will last you ages. Otherwise, if you're looking for something with more grunt try Ultrasonic at your local shop. I've managed to convert number of our clients to US and they've never looked back :)

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:11 am

just wanted to give an update. I definitely like the monk it is super smooth in chop and doesnt have much less face spray.

Something I discovered though is that the setup can tremendously impact the board spray

I started with narrow stance and felt like it needed to be wider. I set the straps to the outer position and all of a sudden I was getting major face spray. I changed the straps to have less duck and all of a sudden there is less face spray.

Turns out in the wider stance, waves are hitting my calves and riding up my calf into my face.

Im going to try the crazy fly with a modified foot position to see if that eliminates the face spray.

The shinn monk is a great all around board, especially in chop. The one downside is that it doesnt have the pop that the crazyfly has.

Return to “Kitesurfing”