Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Has anyone used tile to track stolen kite equipment?

Forum for kitesurfers
acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Has anyone used tile to track stolen kite equipment?

Postby acctx » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Tile is a small waterproof square that communicates with bluetooth. Your phone will connect to the tile via bluetooth if the equipment is near. It also can connect to anyone elses phone who has the app in a crowdsource sort of way.

I was thinking about sticking a tile under the footpad of one or more of my boards and in one or more of my kitebags. Presuming if they stole some of my equipment they would be taking it all, so one might be sufficient.

Tile depends on other people being around with the app loaded. In cities like LA apparently there is high density.

The tiles cost about 20 each and last for a year. I guess for that much you might be able to just buy kite insurance?

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Re: Has anyone used tile to track stolen kite equipment?

Postby skullcandy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Why not just take measures to ensure your gear is not stolen in the first place?

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:31 pm

what a stupid response, why don't we all give up car insurance and take measures so tht we never have an accident. problem is having an accident or something stolen does not always depend on your actions but the actions of others. I think its a great idea except I don't see how it would work at the beach as Bluetooth has a limited range and most times ure more than a few feet from your gear ex. while riding.

skullcandy wrote:Why not just take measures to ensure your gear is not stolen in the first place?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:55 pm

For loosing something it would be good too

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:49 pm

In near future ( within 5 years is my guess) we will have 5G versions of this that work as long as there is cell connectivity.
Problem is that thieves can remove these devices and they can be detected with right equipment.
But i guess it will stop small time thieves.

I´d love to hear of anyone using these kind of trackers and experiences both positive and negative.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:55 pm

windrider1 wrote:what a stupid response, why don't we all give up car insurance and take measures so tht we never have an accident. problem is having an accident or something stolen does not always depend on your actions but the actions of others. I think its a great idea except I don't see how it would work at the beach as Bluetooth has a limited range and most times ure more than a few feet from your gear ex. while riding.

skullcandy wrote:Why not just take measures to ensure your gear is not stolen in the first place?
Ummm big difference here man.... Insurance works because it allows you to NOT have to interact with the idiot who rear ended you. OR for home owners insurance for theft, it doesn't require you to interact with the person who stole your property. Had a road bike stolen from my garage many years ago. Oh well... filed a claim, $500 deductible, showed receipt, received a check for $2500. Done. Big difference there when you have to actually go confront the thief.

You mean to tell me you are going to track your stolen gear and then go confront the thief? I dont think so bud. You think you are going to call the cops and they are going to track down your stolen gear? Thats not going to happen either. Cops cant go into someones house based on some software showing them that your property might be in there. I know this from when my phone was stolen... tracked it and cops couldnt do anything.

pstkk
Medium Poster
Gear: Zeeko, Flysurfer, Taaroa, Horue

Postby pstkk » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:00 pm

There are bicycle trackers available that rely on GPS and mobile networks. They fit inside a seatpost, so could probably fit inside a kite bar as well.

http://www.spybike.com/index.php?route= ... duct_id=51

tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco

Postby tr3v » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:59 pm

I use Tile for tracking my jacket, keys, umbrella etc. It is great for tracking things that you are likely to misplace, especially smaller things that you can lose in your own house, or leaving your jacket in a bar etc.

The trouble with using Tile to track stolen items is that you then have to rely on other Tile users, and one of those users being in the vicinity (very close) of your stolen item, to alert you that the item as been "seen". I would not want to rely on this. Maybe the Tile user community is bigger than I think, but in my opinion all you are going to know is where you last saw your kite.

Koolthing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dead Sea
Favorite Beaches: Even Deader Sea
Style: Topless
Gear: Cabrinashi

Postby Koolthing » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:42 am

I just had my kite bag, anchor, and WMFG pump stolen at the beach today. Although I'm certain that they were not taken by kiteboarders they still have great taste in kite pumps. All kidding aside, I wish I had a tile in my bag so that I could go and repo my "borrowed" equipment.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:39 am

skullcandy wrote: ...

You mean to tell me you are going to track your stolen gear and then go confront the thief? I dont think so bud.
WRONG on That one Bud !! :lol:

I got a 9mm Glock , that says the f***-head, will Definitely give me back my shit, when i
confront him/her .

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”