Re: Free kite plans on GitHub

Postby TheKiteDesigner » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:38 am

PanTau
Medium Poster
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Postby PanTau » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:53 am

TheKiteDesigner wrote: I also designed a strutless kite, with attachable struts wth a clever velcro system, so you can have a strutless, 1 strut, 2 strut or 3 strut kite, by adding struts. Kite worked great, but I did not want to go into production with it, now the idea is out there, some other kite company may bring it out as the next original game changer idea. Unless its been done before somewhere I don't know about, I can assume I came up with the idea. Only downside is its not 1 pump.
Hi,
I also tried this many years ago before the strutless kites came out since I hated to sew struts to the leading edge with my household sewing machine. It took me so much time and it was really annoying. So I built two strutless kites and mounted the struts with straps, velco and a short zipper. I flew the kites with and without the struts. Great idea but it was not worth the extra effort since the kites were not flying **that** much better with the struts attached. And yes no one-pump and extra weight (but better relaunch). So I ended up with one fixed strut in the center which I think is a very good compromise for hobby kite builder.

PanTau

PanTau
Medium Poster

Postby PanTau » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:44 pm

And if you want to build a freestyle kite then take a look at the Circus 11 on Github

PanTau
Medium Poster

Postby PanTau » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:01 am

Ventus 16 (Single Strut LW): Github

TheKiteDesigner
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Reef NSW Australia
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Hawaii
NSW Australia Beaches
Style: Surf and Freeride
Gear: I make my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TheKiteDesigner » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:48 am

A way to prove a kite design works, is to fly it in gusty overpowering conditions and see how well it holds its shape, is there any video of these kites in 25+ knots and jumping? I would love to see it :)

The thing that takes the most time for me with a new kite design is getting the bridle perfect, perfect width, height, attachment points, each bridle length correct, tow point correct etc, Do you have a method for finding the ideal points and location and length for making a bridle on a kite?

My last kite design was built from 5 years for bridle mods and tweaks,

stevet25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: West Cornwall
Has thanked: 0

Postby stevet25 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:46 pm

i would like to say a huge thanks to Karsten at Wingworks for helping me realise a dream - I have just made, flown and hydrofoiled with a kite made by me and a sewing machine! I contacted Karsten 6 months ago after reading this thread - I mentioned that i am a great fan of strutless kites, already owning Clouds and Voyagers - almost overnight I was in possession of the plans for a 7m prototype. I was hoping the project would improve my sewing skills and I might end up with a kite that flies - ha - so far both expectations have been surpassed. Initial flight trials have proved the Agilus to fly straight out of the box - very stable, quick to turn, good relaunch, very good low end. One overpowered foiling session so far and I am certainly confident enough to take my eyes off it - I see a few tweaks a;ready that we may do to the bridlle/leading edge to hold power under load. but heck - for a small man on a hydrofoil (which was the goal) this project exceeds all expectation - I`m hooked! Bring on the next project

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=WaRFy83J6I8[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=GTgJyJijyyw[/youtube]
Attachments
IMG_3781.JPG
IMG_3798.JPG
PB220003.JPG
IMG_3803.JPG
IMG_3785.JPG
IMG_3797.JPG

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon May 01, 2017 7:22 am

Thanks for the info!

When you say "I was hoping the project would improve my sewing skills", how skilled were you before doing this kite? Can you summarise number of hours spent on sewing?
It looks like the above shop is a professional shop, is it yours, or is that Wingworks where they cut the fabric?

Cheers

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon May 01, 2017 11:01 am

stevet25 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:46 pm
I was hoping the project would improve my sewing skills and I might end up with a kite that flies - ha - so far both expectations have been surpassed. Initial flight trials have proved the Agilus to fly straight out of the box - very stable, quick to turn, good relaunch, very good low end. One overpowered foiling session so far and I am certainly confident enough to take my eyes off it - I see a few tweaks a;ready that we may do to the bridlle/leading edge to hold power under load. - I`m hooked! Bring on the next project
Okay thats it for me. T
After some Nasa chutes and powerkites (speedwing etc) year and years back about time to build something again. My sewing skills and Pfaff 1222 combined with the thought through plans of PanTau or Thekitedesigner should allow me to succesfully build a strutless.

I currently own and fly a 10m Trip (1st version) and would like to build/own a bigger and smaller strutless. The Gong strutless kites have very attractive pricing should it should pay off to build one myself.
If price of materials is below that of new gong strutless I would happily invest some time.

Karsten en Steve, could you give me cost estimates for materials (7m and 13m strutless)?

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon May 01, 2017 12:11 pm

stevet25 wrote:
i would like to say a huge thanks to Karsten at Wingworks for helping me realise a dream - I have just made, flown and hydrofoiled with a kite made by me and a sewing machine! I contacted Karsten 6 months ago after reading this thread - I mentioned that i am a great fan of strutless kites, already owning Clouds and Voyagers - almost overnight I was in possession of the plans for a 7m prototype. I was hoping the project would improve my sewing skills and I might end up with a kite that flies - ha - so far both expectations have been surpassed. Initial flight trials have proved the Agilus to fly straight out of the box - very stable, quick to turn, good relaunch, very good low end. One overpowered foiling session so far and I am certainly confident enough to take my eyes off it - I see a few tweaks a;ready that we may do to the bridlle/leading edge to hold power under load. but heck - for a small man on a hydrofoil (which was the goal) this project exceeds all expectation - I`m hooked! Bring on the next project

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=WaRFy83J6I8[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=GTgJyJijyyw[/youtube]
Great job Steve, congrats!!!
Could you please re post the above youtube links as it looks like something's gone wrong?

Cheers

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon May 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Peert wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:01 am
stevet25 wrote:
I was hoping the project would improve my sewing skills and I might end up with a kite that flies - ha - so far both expectations have been surpassed. Initial flight trials have proved the Agilus to fly straight out of the box - very stable, quick to turn, good relaunch, very good low end. One overpowered foiling session so far and I am certainly confident enough to take my eyes off it - I see a few tweaks a;ready that we may do to the bridlle/leading edge to hold power under load. - I`m hooked! Bring on the next project
Okay thats it for me. T
After some Nasa chutes and powerkites (speedwing etc) year and years back about time to build something again. My sewing skills and Pfaff 1222 combined with the thought through plans of PanTau or Thekitedesigner should allow me to succesfully build a strutless.

I currently own and fly a 10m Trip (1st version) and would like to build/own a bigger and smaller strutless. The Gong strutless kites have very attractive pricing should it should pay off to build one myself.
If price of materials is below that of new gong strutless I would happily invest some time.

Karsten en Steve, could you give me cost estimates for materials (7m and 13m strutless)?

I would suggest to check this:
http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/adva ... &x=13&y=13

You can find Dacron there as well, but they might fold it for shipping.

Depending on location, one might get away with no VAT. Which is 19% I think in DE, and is attractive price for a non EU buyers.

For others, this is a must:

http://www.zeroprestige.org/sewakite.pdf

Return to “Kitesurfing”