Drysuit help please

Forum for kitesurfers
Adolfo
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Drysuit help please

Postby Adolfo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks for the heads up on the Patagonia. It would be my first choice. Unfortunately I’m going to buy the drysuit with a credit I have on a shop, and the three I mentioned are the only ones they carry.
So it looks like the ION is out of the question for being too warm.
Is there any evident difference in quality or durability between the Mystic and the NP?
Thanks again for the replies.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:43 pm

Adolfo wrote:I’m not sure I ‘need’ a drysuit. But yes, I want a drysuit.
I have a 3/2 and a 4/3, that I can use with a hood, boots, and gloves, and I’m not that cold with it. But there are days in winter when I rather stay dry.

Regarding the ION, that was my concern. It looks to be the best for the money, but I’m afraid it will be too warm.

Thanks for the replies.
I don't know those suits, but I'd say get the lightweight baggy one (as opposed to the heavy drysuit neoprene) as the best benefit in your climate will be ease of entry/exit. It's nice to have a normal winter layer underneath a loose fitting suit.

I tend to go from my shorty, to my 5/3 and right into my drysuit. I skip my 4/3 these days and I no longer bother layering up my 5/3 with boots, hoodies and extra layers. It's too much hassle. A drysuit in shoulder season (when you could layer up a wet suit if you wanted) is really nice. You'll find yourself skipping the gloves and booties some days because your core is warm enough to keep the blood flowing to them.

Good luck with your decision! It will be nice to take off one dry suit instead of stripping off all those wet layers on a cold day. :thumb:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:57 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Adolfo wrote:I’m not sure I ‘need’ a drysuit. But yes, I want a drysuit.
I have a 3/2 and a 4/3, that I can use with a hood, boots, and gloves, and I’m not that cold with it. But there are days in winter when I rather stay dry.

Regarding the ION, that was my concern. It looks to be the best for the money, but I’m afraid it will be too warm.

Thanks for the replies.
I don't know those suits, but I'd say get the lightweight baggy one (as opposed to the heavy drysuit neoprene) as the best benefit in your climate will be ease of entry/exit. It's nice to have a normal winter layer underneath a loose fitting suit.

I tend to go from my shorty, to my 5/3 and right into my drysuit. I skip my 4/3 these days and I no longer bother layering up my 5/3 with boots, hoodies and extra layers. It's too much hassle. A drysuit in shoulder season (when you could layer up a wet suit if you wanted) is really nice. You'll find yourself skipping the gloves and booties some days because your core is warm enough to keep the blood flowing to them.

Good luck with your decision! It will be nice to take off one dry suit instead of stripping off all those wet layers on a cold day. :thumb:
And just drive home in your fleece, never cold , never wet :D :D :D :D

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Why a drysuit, i have had the lucifer, the mystic, the bare and the soul. Favorite was the soul.

Now i use a xcel drylock 5/4 and use it until the water turns into ice. It floats a lot better, dont have to worry about how many layers to put under, if you ever wind up in trouble..... try swimming with a wetsuit vs a drysuit.

I lost a kite far from the beach in 40+ knots wind in almost frozen water. It was the 1st of april. Barely made it to the beach and was in hypothermia. The air temp was hot but the water cold. Had put just a small layer of merino under my or soul.

Sold it the wek after and now i only ride wetsuits.

Ps: the or soul was my favorite. As for looks the lucifer was really hot. They had years of problems with drysuits taking water. Heard that it has been fixed (lucifer)

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:52 pm

I live in Canada, I use the drysuit when the air is really cold or the water in the 4C range.

It is shame that you donut have the Vucanic on your list. Best Neoprene drysuit around. It has a front zip.

If the front zip is not a problem then I would go Ion: Boyant, you don't need to put much underneath, you can go in boxer and T-shirt, when cold I put winter running leggings and a stretch fleece top, very thin.

BUT, if kiting in humid air conditions, you will get humid inside...not wet, humid. When I come out of mine and it is 3-4C outside, I just put my down coat righ away and I have no chills.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:25 pm

I also second the Lucifer - without having used it.
Our water temps never fall below 50F (well almost never), and our air temps in the winter are often enough in the 30s and 40Fs - especially when the cold fronts move through and we have the most wind.
These are conditions when drysuit shines - no evaporative cooling from the wetsuit freezing you & staying relatively toasty as I change into and out of the dry suit. Mine leaks just a little bit around the ankles - mainly cause I end up off my board and standing in 4' of water! and there is a bit of perspiration moisture on warmer days but I love using a loose fitting breathable drysuit.
Mike

Adolfo
Medium Poster

Postby Adolfo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:53 pm

Finally I bought the Mistic, and I’m happy with the choice. I used it the weekend.
On Saturday with 12ºC temperature and 12 knots, learning to foil. Used it with full Hydroskin and a sleeve less light fleece under the dry suit. Had a lot of crashes head first, and got some water in through the neck seal. Spent a lot of time in the water and was a little cold at the end of the session. Just a little.
On Sunday temperature was lower (8ºC) and wind was blowing much harder (28 / 30 knots), so I layered with the same hydroskin, but a heavier long sleeves polar. I was on my surfboard and almost never fell. It felt great. Everybody was getting out of the water complaining of the cold, but I was very comfortable. It was very nice to be dry on the water with 30 knots of wind!!
Thanks a lot for your help.

Return to “Kitesurfing”