Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Bars with other brand kites

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:13 pm

Maybe? I bought it used, hooked up my bar to whatever was there and watched it fly backwards. :lol: It took full depower and the bar sheeted all the way out to even stay in the air. Fortunately I know how to splice, made some nice long pigtails/lead lines, and had it sorted in a few minutes.

tab77
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Naish ride
Naish pivot

Postby tab77 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:44 am

Similar experience as bushflyr but with different gear.
Naish bar (fusion 2014 and Base 2013) + RRD Obsession 15m 2014.
Needed to add 24" extensions to rear lines to get the kite flying properly.
Naish bar has equal line lengths when sheeted in.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby keegster17 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:43 pm
All line sets from about 2010 onwards are equal line and pretty much all control bars will attach to all kites now. Pretty much all modern kites will work with #5 type of control bar, so you can swap just about any bar and kite nowadays (attaching the necessary pigtails)
This is true except for Ocean Rodeo kites, these kites require a longer pig tail on the steering lines... so all lines equal plus the pig tail added to the steering lines which is supplied with the kite and it is approximately 6" long.
I met 3 people this week who owned OR kites (purchased used) who did not know they about the pigtails and were experiencing stalling.

Also the new OR kites are backwards compatible, meaning they work on today's standard of a single center line flag and also work with the two line rollover which I believe would be #1 and #2 of edt's list.
Hi Laughingman, So in my case I have the 17m Ocean Rodeo Flite, with the 2015 Above the bar, which is a two line flagging system, and I did notice, the back lines only have pigtails. I want to use this bar with my Switch kites, Element 3 and Nitro 4, is this possible? I assume I remove the two rear pigtails, and add four universal ones?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:31 pm

keegster17 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:44 pm
Laughingman wrote:
All line sets from about 2010 onwards are equal line and pretty much all control bars will attach to all kites now. Pretty much all modern kites will work with #5 type of control bar, so you can swap just about any bar and kite nowadays (attaching the necessary pigtails)
This is true except for Ocean Rodeo kites, these kites require a longer pig tail on the steering lines... so all lines equal plus the pig tail added to the steering lines which is supplied with the kite and it is approximately 6" long.
I met 3 people this week who owned OR kites (purchased used) who did not know they about the pigtails and were experiencing stalling.

Also the new OR kites are backwards compatible, meaning they work on today's standard of a single center line flag and also work with the two line rollover which I believe would be #1 and #2 of edt's list.
Hi Laughingman, So in my case I have the 17m Ocean Rodeo Flite, with the 2015 Above the bar, which is a two line flagging system, and I did notice, the back lines only have pigtails. I want to use this bar with my Switch kites, Element 3 and Nitro 4, is this possible? I assume I remove the two rear pigtails, and add four universal ones?
Yes remove the rear pigtails and add the universal ones when using the bar with your switch kites.
Personally if I only had one OR kite I would leave the OR pigtails on the OR kite.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Postby juandesooka » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:31 pm
keegster17 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:44 pm
Laughingman wrote:

Yes remove the rear pigtails and add the universal ones when using the bar with your switch kites.
Personally if I only had one OR kite I would leave the OR pigtails on the OR kite.
Be careful Keegster ... are your switch kites designed to use 2-line flagging bars? EG like OR with the rollover bridle? If not, you cannot safely use that OR bar with them. If you use this bar on a kite designed for single line flag out, when you hit the quick release there's a good chance it will not 100% depower, and you could go for a ride.

If your switch kites are designed for single line flag-out, then you can only use single-line flag out bars with them. You CANNOT safely use the older OR bars.

The comment above about "Backwards Compatible" meant only the reverse is true: kites like OR's can use BOTH a single line flag out bar or the 2-line flag out bars.

As for pigtails, OR kites are designed to have the rear lines longer by the length of one pigtail on rear lines. No pigtail on front lines. So, to use your OR bar with any other kite, just ensure all 4 lines are equal length at the connection point on kite -- use 4 pigtails.

Return to “Kitesurfing”