Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gear advice for very light winds (around 7-10 knots)

Forum for kitesurfers
fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gear advice for very light winds (around 7-10 knots)

Postby fogmeister » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:49 pm

this a foil session by a foiler in about 7 to 10 knots..........

FullSizeRender.jpg

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:00 pm

this rider is typically on a 12m in these winds but decided to experiment with the 8 diablo.........from what i am hearing the diablo is the lightest kite on the market so pairs well with a foil in super light.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:09 pm

WOW the wind must be extra extra extra dense to be able to use a 8 sqm ram air in just 7-10 knots of wind

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:15 pm

........whatever works for the day :wink:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:00 am

dylan* wrote:
matth wrote:No one is saying its impossible to ride in 8mph, we are saying its a waste of time. Been there, 17m flite, litewave wing , Dialer surfboard
You say you've been there, but your gear is a door board and a surfboard. Try a foil.

Or don't. I don't care how much wind you ride in. But stop knocking other people's experience when you have no idea what you're talking about.

What part of "no one is saying its impossible to ride in 8mph" are you confused by? If you enjoy it, god bless you, have a blast :lol:

This is my first response to the OP question.

"Not much happens in 7 to 10knots IMO. Lots of skill, lots of patience, expensive specialized kites , foils, monster TT, or race boards needed. And after all that you will basically be mowing the lawn"....

What part do you disagree with? Sounds like good advice to a noob on lake with shit wind to me...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:32 pm

matth wrote:
dylan* wrote:
matth wrote:No one is saying its impossible to ride in 8mph, we are saying its a waste of time. Been there, 17m flite, litewave wing , Dialer surfboard
You say you've been there, but your gear is a door board and a surfboard. Try a foil.

Or don't. I don't care how much wind you ride in. But stop knocking other people's experience when you have no idea what you're talking about.

What part of "no one is saying its impossible to ride in 8mph" are you confused by? If you enjoy it, god bless you, have a blast :lol:

"Not much happens in 7 to 10knots IMO. Lots of skill, lots of patience, expensive specialized kites , foils, monster TT, or race boards needed. And after all that you will basically be mowing the lawn"....

What part do you disagree with? Sounds like good advice to a noob on lake with shit wind to me...
Just came across this thread again...

Dylan and Fogmeister and others are spot on :thumb:

matth, you go wrong when you apparently put hydrofoils into the same group as other light wind boards like big doors and raceboards.
Let alone you write this, shows that you have no idea what its all about :roll:

Its the classic mistake we see over and over, and it is unfortunately impossible to tell what its like to those who dont know nothing because they "think" they know what its like, without having learned themeselves :wink:

An 8m2 Diablo in 7-10 knots ?
Of course that is possible, in fact easy in the upper end...
You will most likely not be able to start when only 7, but if up and riding you might be able to continue riding :naughty:

8) Peter

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:09 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: matth, you go wrong when you apparently put hydrofoils into the same group as other light wind boards like big doors and raceboards.
Let alone you write this, shows that you have no idea what its all about :roll: 8) Peter
I regrettably disagree with you Pete and definitely agree with matth
Did you miss where he says that he has been watching foilers's low end of riding for past 2 years ?
There is no drastic difference really of doing better when they do go to the lowest wind 6 to 7 knots they need big ass kites just like everybody else
If all you own is a 12-13 tube or 10-11 ram air and it is a "hot summer" day you will not be able to go unless it is minimum 10 knots on a foilboard from what i have seen
Low end drops to 9kn in winter / spring / fall from what i have seen

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:42 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
matth wrote:
dylan* wrote:

Just came across this thread again...

Dylan and Fogmeister and others are spot on :thumb:

matth, you go wrong when you apparently put hydrofoils into the same group as other light wind boards like big doors and raceboards.
Let alone you write this, shows that you have no idea what its all about :roll:

Its the classic mistake we see over and over, and it is unfortunately impossible to tell what its like to those who dont know nothing because they "think" they know what its like, without having learned themeselves :wink:

An 8m2 Diablo in 7-10 knots ?
Of course that is possible, in fact easy in the upper end...
You will most likely not be able to start when only 7, but if up and riding you might be able to continue riding :naughty:

8) Peter

Are you reading what I wrote? I did not say its impossible. Again, Lots of skill, lots of patience , expensive specialized kites, FOILS, monster TT, or race boards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knock yourself out, have a blast. I'm glad you enjoy it...

And I do understand that foils are a different animal, Thank you!. But people also ride sub 10 conditions on Monster TT, race boards, 21m flysurfers, 19m cores and so on.
:argue:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:19 am

It is not about whether it is possible or not, it is about hydrofoils being a very different kind of animal NOT to be compared with other light wind options.

As with the latter I agree with you, mostly moving the lawn and not fun at all eventhough just possible.

But the part where we disagree with you, is that you put hydrofoils and other boards in the same category :wink:

It is not about us having fun, we could just let it rest and let the OP find another sport or hobby as so many make the classic moving the lawn comments, without knowing what they are talking about.
Trying to help those who don't know (which is almost everyone), when they ask a serious question, as you CAN not know before you have learned foiling :thumb:

8) Peter

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Hydrofoils are in a different league when it comes to performance, I would say they are about 2x the best non-hydrofoil boards and about 3to4x the performance of most boards. Mowing the lawn is most all that is going to happen below 5knots, some surfing would be possible but I would think only with tension in the lines like upwind etc. If mowing or cruising is interesting and it can be, doing it in such light winds is probably the most fun time to do it. With flat, clear, large, open, uncrowded spaces of water it can be really enjoyable to just relax and take it in.

Just reading the OPs post it would seem he is budget conscious, some thing like an Ultralight Pansh kite would get him out in those winds for a third or less of the cost of a hydrofoil. An A15 18m or Aurora2 19m or 22m would be perfect. If he want to go a hydrofoil a kite in 12meter would be better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”