Local Beach: Long Island, Bay Side
Favorite Beaches: Tobay Beach, NY
Style: Laid back cruising - starting to jump
Gear: Griffin Argo 10m and 14m
Slingshot Turbine 17m
Brand Affiliation: None

Learning to ride a smaller board...

Postby MikeDobbs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:12 pm

Hey everyone- this is my first post on here. I've been power kiting for years, and kiteboarding the last few. I had a difficult time learning to kiteboard, and saw tremendous improvements when I purchased a Spleene door 159. I've been kiting exclusively with that board for the last two years and doing well with it, but I'm having trouble transitioning to a smaller board. I have a Slingshot Ignition 142 (or 144 I can't remember), and when I try to ride it, it just feels slippery and unstable under foot. I can get up on plane, but am not able to stay upwind at all.

Here's a video of me riding my door, so you can get a sense of my riding style, body position, etc.

Does anyone have any tips on what I could do to get more comfortable on my smaller board?

Thanks!
https://youtu.be/vUm600XfYO8

(I couldn't figure out how to embed, so I just posted the link to the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUm600XfYO8

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Re: Learning to ride a smaller board...

Postby Bushflyr » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:31 pm

You're putting your weight pretty equally on your feet it looks like. Also that board is sitting really deep in the water, you are going to need a lot more power when transitioning to a smaller (regular) board. Run a 2m bigger kite than you think you need and put all your weight on your back foot. Nice video editing BTW, I like all the different shots and angles, that takes a lot of work.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Agree, your problem might be power...but also practice makes perfect. The thing about kiting is that some things seem really difficult at first, after a couple of weeks of practice you wonder how you ever didn't know how to do it. Riding a really small board is one of those things, but again, small boards = big kites or lots of power.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:22 pm

I have learned on 135 and only own a 135 so can't help that much on big board feel.
More power is easier to figure out issue because with more power if you can t hold edge and go upwind it means bad edging technique then you get pulled downwind with body upright.
I think feet weight is good since whole edge seems to be engaged, if anything more front foot, as a beginner it's easier to ride with all weight in back but then you don't engage board edge and drag a lot of water.
you need to take your weight off the board and lean in your harness so the lines hold your weight instead of board.
You flatten board to get some speed and once you plane you lean back and keep kite high so it holds your weight.
just play around with laying down until you hit water with shoulder (not ass) also give some back foot pressure from time doing some big S to understand how to turn without breaking with back foot pressure
If you do those small exercise it will help you figure it out what the right stance is. It will help you to jump too.
When I first got up on the board I would always feel unstable and feel like I will fall down forward because I was upright and not trusting kite to hold my weight, once you lean back it becomes very stable especially in glassy water like that!

I imagine with big board you can go upwind thanks to fins and board doesn't drag as much.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:31 pm

You're on a door + 17m kite and look barely powered and going quite slow so I'm guessing that when you are transitioning to a smaller board you just need more kite and to get used to going faster. You can't go that slow on a regular board.

acctx
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:41 pm

more kite.. (or more wind)

MikeDobbs
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Island, Bay Side
Favorite Beaches: Tobay Beach, NY
Style: Laid back cruising - starting to jump
Gear: Griffin Argo 10m and 14m
Slingshot Turbine 17m

Postby MikeDobbs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:53 pm

Wow- thanks for all the responses everyone! :thumb: I see a theme developing that I might need more power. That's something I've been wondering about. I'm a little on the cautious side, and tend to go out in lighter winds (8-15) more than 15-20. I'll try to keep that in mind and reach for that Slingshot board the next time I'm really powered up.

For the record, in the video I'm riding a Slingshot Turbine 17m with winds about 8-12mph, which is pretty typical for my summer sessions lately.

@Bushflyr thanks for the kudos on the video! I really enjoy trying to make stuff that other people can enjoy too :D

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 pm

If you want to get more comfortable with the power, just practice going faster. As you go faster it will start to feel like the kite is pulling harder and you will have to edge properly to deal with it. If you are starting to jump, you are ready to ride in more than 8-12 mph wind, that is barely even kiteboarding :thumb:

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride
Gear: AGAMA KOMODO board, Affinis 12m kite
Brand Affiliation: AGAMA EXTREME

Postby abel » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:53 pm

It's a matter of basic physics...
You're fine :thumb:
For your weight (78 kg +/- 2?), and light winds do not use a smaller board.
It just won't work (you will not have fun).
The board is far more significant than the kite size, especially the width.
Under your regular light wind conditions, I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 44cm width board.
If you have a >=44cm board, you could even try a 15m kite instead of a 17m and see if your fun factor increases.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby kjorn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:55 pm

Bushflyr wrote:a lot more power
This. You looked really under powered. Do you have a device to measure the wind speed? Then take the kite out at the top end of it's recommended wind range (they always post the wind ranges quite low)

Return to “Kitesurfing”