Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epoxy or polyester?

forum for kitesurfers

Hpr
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: Cab FX 9 + 7m, SB 9m, LF Envy 7m, RRD Religion 7m, Cab Xcaliber and Imperial TT, Spowy Cyclone SB.

Epoxy or polyester?

Postby Hpr » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:57 am

I need to fix my surfboard, but not sure whether to use epoxy or polyester resin. Is there a way to check what was used to make the board? Would it matter if I use epoxy on a board that was made with polyester resin? I mean, is the foam possibly different so the epoxy might dissolve it, or is the same type of foam always used?

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Re: Epoxy or polyester?

Postby alamos_kiter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:32 am

Epoxy. Does not matter if the board is made of epoxy or polyester, for repairs always use epoxy. Poly does not bond well with old poly.

Only very cheap epoxies have dissolvents, you would not want to use those for a repair anyways.

Hpr
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: Cab FX 9 + 7m, SB 9m, LF Envy 7m, RRD Religion 7m, Cab Xcaliber and Imperial TT, Spowy Cyclone SB.

Postby Hpr » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Cool thanks a_k :thumb:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:43 pm

alamos_kiter wrote:Epoxy. Does not matter if the board is made of epoxy or polyester, for repairs always use epoxy. Poly does not bond well with old poly.

Only very cheap epoxies have dissolvents, you would not want to use those for a repair anyways.
Maybe also mention that if you use polyester resin on polystyrene foam (EPS) board it will dissolve foam, whereas epoxy will not (its because polyester contains styrene).

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:48 pm

Yep. for more wisdom check the board lady http://www.boardlady.com

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:24 pm

If you want to make the repair lighter and easier to finish mix the epoxy with micro balloons - as long as the epoxy mix is at least as strong as the weakest material you are bonding then it will be strong enough.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:23 am

Also use peel ply. It is a fabric you put on top of the epoxy when it is wet and peel off after it cures. Gives you a much smoother surface. The West Epoxy packets are pretty good for the typical small repairs and you can get all different sizes of fiberglass or carbon fiber cloth.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:20 am

Are you going to paint over it, or does it need to be clear, or do you care what it looks like? If the board is clear fiberglass over the foam, then try to find surfboard grade epoxy, meaning some thing with UV inhibitors. West System will turn brown and ugly in the sun. Most other epoxies also will unless they were formulated for surfboards. Resin Research Epoxy is commonly used in the US, but I'm not sure what's available in other parts of the world. Filler like microballoons also needs painting over if you want it to look nice.

Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”