Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Seat Harnesses

Forum for kitesurfers
DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite Seat Harnesses

Postby DSZ » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:37 pm

EricSanders wrote:When I started kiting a couple of years back, I chose a seat harness because that is what I was used to from wind surfing since the '80s with the intent of "progressing" to a waist harness when I got better. I really never felt the need to go to a waist harness. The only thing I can see that may be different is when boosting, you are suspended at a higher position so you are more prone to stay upright. The other thing is with your hook lower, you have more mechanical advantage over the pull of the kite.
I currently use a B2 ION board short harness. I found and bought a hard to find new Dakine Nitrous board short early this year, but it ended up being too small..
I too went from windsurfing to kiting with a seat. I never liked the waist for windsurfing. After a couple of years I felt the pressure to go to a waist and rode that up until this summer when my back just couldn't take it any more. Had a huge day Monday thanks to the fringes of Hermine wearing the old Nitrous and now don't think I'll ever wear a waist again. My Pyro is going on E-Bay and probably my new ION Apex as well. A buddy wears a Nitrous and was jumping at least 30' with his strapped surfboard slashing waves like Robbie. He also swears by the J Bar so I just ordered one. He actually thinks there are advantages to jumping with the Nitrous/J Bar combination. I feel much freer riding the Nitrous.

I agree with your comments above too.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:11 pm

I like my Ocean Rodeo Session harness. It is billed as a hybrid...a waist harness with removable leg straps. It isn't like a seat, doesn't have the diaper package scrunching effect. The leg straps simply hold it down, keep it from riding up.

The cool guys around here have all removed the leg hold downs, so it's a waist harness. I seem to be the last of nerds with my leg straps -- as well as my helmet and impact vest. :thumb:

They just released V3, after 5-8 years of second version. They sometimes go on sale cheap on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K5 ... z_bw_c_x_1

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:07 pm

DSZ wrote:
EricSanders wrote:When I started kiting a couple of years back, I chose a seat harness because that is what I was used to from wind surfing since the '80s with the intent of "progressing" to a waist harness when I got better. I really never felt the need to go to a waist harness. The only thing I can see that may be different is when boosting, you are suspended at a higher position so you are more prone to stay upright. The other thing is with your hook lower, you have more mechanical advantage over the pull of the kite.
I currently use a B2 ION board short harness. I found and bought a hard to find new Dakine Nitrous board short early this year, but it ended up being too small..
I too went from windsurfing to kiting with a seat. I never liked the waist for windsurfing. After a couple of years I felt the pressure to go to a waist and rode that up until this summer when my back just couldn't take it any more. Had a huge day Monday thanks to the fringes of Hermine wearing the old Nitrous and now don't think I'll ever wear a waist again. My Pyro is going on E-Bay and probably my new ION Apex as well. A buddy wears a Nitrous and was jumping at least 30' with his strapped surfboard slashing waves like Robbie. He also swears by the J Bar so I just ordered one. He actually thinks there are advantages to jumping with the Nitrous/J Bar combination. I feel much freer riding the Nitrous.

Give the Jbar a try before you buy if you can. I recently started using one and on my first backroll kiteloop hand drag transition I was thrown off when the pull point changed from center to the side. Was a crazy strange feeling. I like it for strapless surfboard riding but not so + on it for jumping. Went back to fixed hook Monday and had more control and confidence when jumping.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:19 pm

A waist harness is not your style anymore huh? Perhaps you might want to try a thong harness? I know you could probably add some pink ruffles to it if you shop at victorias secret...

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Postby DSZ » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:30 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:A waist harness is not your style anymore huh? Perhaps you might want to try a thong harness? I know you could probably add some pink ruffles to it if you shop at victorias secret...
Ha Ha maybe in my younger days. You remind me of something Toe Side Tommy would say to me!

DSZ
Frequent Poster

Postby DSZ » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:33 pm

NHKitesurfer wrote:
DSZ wrote:

Give the Jbar a try before you buy if you can. I recently started using one and on my first backroll kiteloop hand drag transition I was thrown off when the pull point changed from center to the side. Was a crazy strange feeling. I like it for strapless surfboard riding but not so + on it for jumping. Went back to fixed hook Monday and had more control and confidence when jumping.
I can see that. Its really for surfboard riding not tricks though, kinda too old for that stuff. I've used the Manic sliding bar and liked it for surf riding.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:50 am

DSZ wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:A waist harness is not your style anymore huh? Perhaps you might want to try a thong harness? I know you could probably add some pink ruffles to it if you shop at victorias secret...
Ha Ha maybe in my younger days. You remind me of something Toe Side Tommy would say to me!
Glad you're being a good sport about it, just had to throw that in there :thumb:

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:24 am

Used Dakine Nitrous. Good but wear out quickly. Now using Dakine Vega. Thin, light, comfy. It was on sale, so very cheap as well.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:48 pm

DSZ wrote:Ok so I know these may be for kooks but my old back can't seem to take a waist harness anymore and I've tried several types. Been using an old Dakine Nitrous I got years ago when I injured a rib. Back is not bothered anymore but not really liking the "trunks" style. Anyone used the ION Radar seat or B2 trunk style and/or Dakine seat and care to comment. Thanks!

Lots of locals wearing Ion trunks, better built and more padding than Dakine Nitous. I picked up a new Dakine Fusion seat this year and like it but it has been giving me some hip discomfort, not sure why. My last fusion( 2012) was super comfy and never gave me any problems.
I really like the look of the board short harnesses , but they offer very little lower back support, I wish someone would make a pair with more padding and a higher back..

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm an old guy that did the reverse switch due to a hip issue. I started windsurfing forever ago and always used a seat harness. Started kiting about 8 or 9 years ago, and used a seat harness. The pressure on my hips from the seat harness eventually caused an irritation of my IT band (left side, mostly) and had to switch to a waist harness. I miss the comfort and low hook from the seat harness, but sure don't miss the compression on that IT band.

Don

Return to “Kitesurfing”