Forum for kitesurfers
droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Re: xensr poor customer service

Postby droffats » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:33 pm

From what I can tell is they sold out completely of the old version so they can't send out a replacement. Then the new version has been delayed over and over again because of manufacturing problems. I think they wanted to switch back from Asia to the USA for building them, but I don't know if they achieved that. It's insanely frustrating for sure. A refund should be an option for everyone with an RMA all along.

I once kited with a guy who I found out later is the owner of the company. He sited the problems Samsung has had with the Note 7 and said, "only make as many as you are willing to take back". Meaning, if there is the smallest problem at the factory, everything is lost. Maybe they are intensely testing the new one(?)

When riding with him, he was on a pole board and I was boosting a 9m. I saw a ramp coming in, hit it, then looked down to see him right below me. I first thought I might hit him. Then he front flipped below me. When I didn't land on him, I thought he was going to be pissed. But talking to him later he was like, "I saw that ramp coming and thought, he is going to boost, that's what I'd do." Seriously cool dude there.

BTW, I do sell Xensrs but have two on RMA right now.

Thanks,
Stafford
www.adventurekiteboarding.com

richlee
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Jimmy Lewis, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby richlee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Follow up to my Nov 19 2016 post on Xensr: Xensr finally sent me a new 1st Generation Xensr (I'll send back the old one). I hope to use it in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it works as designed.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:49 pm

My Trace has never worked properly. Updated, reset, downloaded new app etc. Never worked at all. One day i went out on my strapless board, said i caught 27ft of air. I dont catch 27ft on my twin. Just not accurate.
The service was pretty good, but TJ at Big WInds ended up just replacing it for me.

It seems all these products have come to market prior to them being dialed in.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:29 pm

I love my Woo, I would say it is very accurate. Customer service is excellent and social media aspect is outstanding. I can honestly say the woo has made kiting more fun for me , I love going out and trying to get my personal best or beat my friends for bragging rights. :thumb:

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:51 pm

skideeppow wrote:My Trace has never worked properly. Updated, reset, downloaded new app etc. Never worked at all. One day i went out on my strapless board, said i caught 27ft of air. I dont catch 27ft on my twin. Just not accurate.
The service was pretty good, but TJ at Big WInds ended up just replacing it for me.

It seems all these products have come to market prior to them being dialed in.
I had to return trace too (for refund). They have a decent customer service, but the device is mostly geared towards surfers and skiers.
It did pretty accurate gps tracking but as far as the jumps go - more like a random numbers generator.
At first round it was giving people too many 3 second - 20 meter jumps.
Their solution was to quarantine "suspicious jumps" so most of the stuff over 5 seconds and over 8-9meters was thrown away.. This becomes obvious when the data is overlapped with the session video..
I don't think they have competent kiters in their team to really QA the device..

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Well with Woo you cannot detect glitches because of missing gps. I mean you cannot check correct jump trajectory from gps track. Nor it is not easy to overlay anything to video via dashware etc. Nor bragging rights of gps speed, have you hit 100km/h or ~60mph - no you cannot and Woo is useless piece of something.

Also I read:
Woo 2.0 gives higher heights than Woo 1. Xensr gave slightly higher heights than Woo1 as well. Was Xensr correct all the time about the height? So you can say I have jumped 13 xensr meters which is 13 woo2 meters which is 12.5 woo1 meters. There is your bragging.

Also with Woo you could jump @ Cape Town. Then upload it to a local lake. And claiming highest local jump.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:14 pm

joriws wrote:Well with Woo you cannot detect glitches because of missing gps. I mean you cannot check correct jump trajectory from gps track. Nor it is not easy to overlay anything to video via dashware etc. Nor bragging rights of gps speed, have you hit 100km/h or ~60mph - no you cannot and Woo is useless piece of something.

Also I read:
Woo 2.0 gives higher heights than Woo 1. Xensr gave slightly higher heights than Woo1 as well. Was Xensr correct all the time about the height? So you can say I have jumped 13 xensr meters which is 13 woo2 meters which is 12.5 woo1 meters. There is your bragging.

Also with Woo you could jump @ Cape Town. Then upload it to a local lake. And claiming highest local jump.
Consumer GPS is useless for measuring kitesurfing jumps
It can be helpful in re-creating session details though. In both Trace and xensr sessions you would sometimes see a zigzag, corresponding to a sent jump, but no jump data. If woo misses a jump there is nothing left of it in the session logs..
Yes, with woo you can post your session to any spot, and I have seen a few people abusing it. However I like this better than TRACE trying to auto-assign a spot from it's limited database.. Most of the time it ends up even less believable (like picking a nearby spot with offshore conditions for that day, etc)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:28 am

richlee wrote:Follow up to my Nov 19 2016 post on Xensr: Xensr finally sent me a new 1st Generation Xensr (I'll send back the old one). I hope to use it in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it works as designed.
Hope everything goes well for you. The latest firmware updates have made it a better product. Just be careful to wait at least 30 seconds after stopping a session before starting a new session. Currently it takes longer than you might expect to finish saving a session and as others have pointed out its not always easy to see the spinning pattern to see if the device is still saving. I'm told they are looking to speed up saving in a future firmware but at present its easier to record one long session rather than splitting it up into short sessions.

Current working tips (probably fixed in future versions)
- plug into PC first then turn on to detect.
- Don't turn off whilst plugged into your PC or power (can cause a reset). Unplug and turn off.
- Don't interrupt saving at end of session (causes a reset)

I'm happy with mine (dull LEDs aside). Just wish the android wear app was more consistent. Sometimes I can see the jump heights and sometimes I can't. Might just be a Sony issue though.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:13 pm

I'm told they are looking to speed up saving in a future
I really wonder why Xensr have selected that kind of file format structure they did and if using current format how to optimize. It really does not support proper writing method of time-based stream data in my opinion.

Current format (I've reverse-engineered Xensr file):
- header section
- imu-data section
- gps-data section
- event-data section (jumps with jump data)
- text summary-data section

So writing like this means it must be written in sequel because all IMU-data must be cached and in the end of session written to flash at once. Then same for GPS-data and event-data.

Other option would have been constant streams with different packet type very similar to "transport stream" what your digital TV receives, video-stream, audio-stream, epg-stream, closed captions-stream, all interleaved together. With this approach Xensr could write block to flash when block is ready (write single block aka old-fashioned-sector at time to save battery and write wear). And if battery power goes to zero or system crashes you loose only some seconds of data instead for all session. Closing session would be instant and opening new session as well.

[Atom refers to a basic block of data - single stored value structure like timestamp, longitude, latitude, speed, gps alt, visible satellites. Imu atom would have timestamp,gx,gy,gz,rx,ry,rz,ax,ay,az,euler angles or quarternions, sx, sy, sz or anything what is calculated by IMU-unit on the fly.]

header
imu-"atom"
imu-"atom"
gps-"atom"
imu-"atom"
event-"atom"
imu-"atom"
gps-"atom"

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:52 pm

I see your point. Do you think it makes it easier to verify the accuracy of the gps and other sensors? e.g. there are a bunch of gps 'correction' programmes that you chuck in a GPS coordinates file and it spits out a corrected file. With separate sections its probably easy to cut/paste just the data you are testing and get a reference against established GPS trackers out there?

I'm guessing the save enhancements I have been told about could well be a change to the file format. Possibly not worth sinking a lot of time into examining the format at present if this is the case.

Return to “Kitesurfing”