Wenceslao77
Rare Poster
Gear: Axon Rhythm Board, Core xr5 9M kite
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurfing NYC/NJ/CT

Postby Wenceslao77 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Hey guys, I am fairly new to the sport. Just got back from OBX where we were fortunate to have steady wind every day. I initially learned up in Boston where I have some family, but live in the Rockland County NY/Bergan County NJ area and was looking to find great local spots near me as well as join the community. I would very much appreciate suggestions and any tips.

Thanks for the help.

remtgnow
Rare Poster

Postby remtgnow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:07 pm

There are a lot of kiters in Ct. we Kite on Long Island sound. Mostly in the Stratford area near the airport. Further East, there are plenty of launches
Long Beach Park and Short Beach Park.
You can find many on the yahoo sports forum ctkiteboarders.
Croton park on the Hudson is a popular spot but probably not for beginners.
Wherever you go........ask for info by locals on site particulars. Kiters are very protective of their limited launches. One careless kiter can get the spot shut dow. Be safe have fun.
Don’t be THAT GUY,
Phil

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:44 am

Pros: Much better wind and waves than south florida. With modern wetsuit technology you can easily kite all year comfortably no problem. Lots more 'culture' than south florida in NYC.

Cons: The scenery is much worse, the water brownish and usually cold, and the cost of living insanely expensive compared to florida.

jsurf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Plumb
Favorite Beaches: Gilgo, Oak, Sandy Hook, OBX, Diani Beach, Goring, Greatstone, MUiderberg.
Style: All
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: Amateur team rider

Postby jsurf » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:55 pm

All the information related to kiteboarding in NYC you can find on: www.nyckiteboarding.com

Spot info on: www.kitespots.nyckiteboarding.com
(from the same source as above).

Return to “Kitesurfing”