forum for kitesurfers

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Ocean Rodeo stick shift bar

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed May 03, 2017 2:27 am

John, that's great to hear. Thanks for posting all the details.
And yes, I had a traditional bar this week in the ocean and to unwind the center lines, I'd have to puts several twists in the lower lines as you indicated before the leverage got up to the split. It was annoying. That must be why a lot of bars are going to the PU center. I hadn't thought of that.

andylc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: JN PD3/6
North Jaime
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby andylc » Wed May 03, 2017 8:11 am

Or you could just get the North Click bar which has a completely awesome automatic untwist system as well as back line depower and the option of 4 line or 5 line setup.

EastCC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor & LT138
Ocean Rodeo Roam & Jester
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo dealer Australia

Postby EastCC » Wed May 03, 2017 11:49 am

CaptainArgh wrote: Have people ridden production versions of this yet?

How does it handle center line twists (from downlooping on ocean runs)?

I saw the North version last week and the build looked to be pretty nice, but I like how all the lines on the OR version are exposed for easy cleaning and maintenance. Have some concern that fine sand could bind up in the knob and be tough to clean out.

Is it a turn to depower and repower? On the North one (which was news to me) you turn the crank to power it, but to depower it you smack the button in the center of the knob and it depowers with each hit. That made good sense to me as you can more easily spill power in a sustained gust event.

In any case, it looks good. Be curious to read real rider feedback.
Had my first run on one today, nice clean bar and light in the hand.
Sand didn't worry it at all, I changed from a 9.5 to an 8 and had the bar covered in sand, it still worked fine - I did dunk it in the water on my way out though to be sure, checked and it was all clean.
Centre line twists no drama, the swivel is actually easier to use as John mentioned (not automatic), as is the trim mechanism. Twist 1/4 turn to power and bump or twist 1/4 turn to depower. This also worked fine on the beach with no line tension. Once you get used to the position of the knob it is quite easy to depower without taking your hand off the bar at all. I was interested as to how hard it would be to wind the knob when under load, but it is surpisingly easy to turn.
andylc - I have used the North Clicker bar as well, also a nice piece of kit - the OR bar is very easy to see any wear or damage on everything, and all the components and internals can fully dry out. It looks as if it would be quite easy to replace the winder and lines if required. It does seem more natural to me using the winder on the OR Stick Shift Bar rather reaching on the side of the bar but that is personal and negligible to the function of them both.
Lines looked (and are) good quality and easy to untangle, the bar came with a set of different sized pigtails.
The stopper worked well, easy to use and slide but held the bar when set.
Bar diameter and grip was nice.
QR works well and besides the different front line swivel it looks the same set up as the Control Bar.

Another run tomorrow perhaps - so far impressed.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed May 03, 2017 5:50 pm

Should start seeing more online reviews coming in this week... first POV video of the bar in use (click image, should take you to Instagram. If not, click here.)

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.49.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.49.18 AM.png (248.21 KiB) Viewed 911 times

dwarf
Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 pm

Does the CL stay in position when you unhook? This is one thing that annoys me on the normal OR bar.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed May 03, 2017 11:26 pm

dwarf wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 pm
Does the CL stay in position when you unhook? This is one thing that annoys me on the normal OR bar.
If you mean, does it have a male / female interface with the bar opening to lock into place when unhooked, no it doesn't but the PU is quite stiff on this bar and does hold it pretty firm.

Frankw
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Lake Rathbun
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, SPI, OUter Banks
Style: Old Man easy
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Frankw » Wed May 03, 2017 11:31 pm

Just rode the stick shift bar. Very cool inovation. Rode it on a lighter nite on a 14.5 flite. Bar and new technology worked great. Very very easy to depower by just clicking up the shirt knob on the right end of the bar. Tightening takes a small amount to get used to. It is hard to click when powered, and easy to turn when you push the bar out a bit to take tension off the lines. It works great that way. very simple to use and adapt to. There is a channel at the bottom of the bar to allow sand and grit to drop away from the inner mechanism. Bar I rode had not delightful foam covering, but its already being upgraded to be more comfortable. In all its a pretty slick and much more precise way to adjust power to the kite. Cudos to OR for the innovation.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed May 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Frankw wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:31 pm
Bar I rode had not delightful foam covering, but its already being upgraded to be more comfortable. In all its a pretty slick and much more precise way to adjust power to the kite. Cudos to OR for the innovation.
Frank, I suspect you're one of the OBX Crew. If so, 2-3 of those demo bars were built on older EVA gripped bars. You should have access to some of the newer EVA bars too if you can get out in the next few days?

Production will be the softer style!

JZ

djoel123
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Cabarete Dominican Republic
Aruba - St. Nicholas
Punta Cana - Zoetry
Style: Cruise Freeride
Gear: SOLO 12m,
CrazyFly Raptor LTD 140
Ocean Rodeo Flite 17m

Postby djoel123 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:05 am

Here in Hatteras for the week on the Ocean Rodeo Crew trip. Love trying all the different kites and equipment. Yesterday I spent a decent amount of time with the Stick Shift bar. Love the grippy thick bar - I have big hands to bar felt great compared to my Liquid Force Response Bar. I really liked the elimination of the center line sheeting above the bar. Hate the long tassel that dangles down when sheeted in and inevitably wraps around the lines. I also really like the below the bar swivel to straiten out the center lines - this was really nice. With my limited experience and expertise I didn't do much adjusting using the shifter knob - usually i just get a good setting and keep it there until I finish up. But upon coming in after a session the easy couple of knocks on the knob outward to quickly depower the steering lines was really nice. The bar overall feels really solid and well built - I liked it.

scott1326
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: 2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 6m, 8m, 12m; 2006 Cabrinha Switchblade 16m; 2008 Slingshot Rev 11m

Postby scott1326 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:11 am

Also in Hatteras with the Ocean Rodeo gang and had a chance to check out some of the new equipment they're coming out with. I rode a 12m Prodigy with the new Stick Shift bar for about an hour the other day. The new bar is very impressive. You can tell a lot of thought was put into the design and new features. The bar is very 'clean' looking without depower lines hanging above or below the bar. The new twist knob on the right side of the bar is easy to use, with just a bump to depower and twist to power again (a twist will depower as well). I personally tend to set and forget my depower unless there's a big change in the wind, but I have spoken to some riders who change theirs quite often during a session, and I think they would benefit most from this new setup. The bar has springs on the steering lines which tell you at a glance exactly how much depower you're currently riding with, something not easy to tell with some other setups. Springs fully extended indicate maximum length on the rear lines while contracted indicate the opposite.
Though I did not test it, an OR rep explained that the kite flags out on just one of the front lines when the osr is pulled, which I think is handy since most of my older kites tend to flag out on both front lines. The bar itself is attractive, very sturdy looking. It is rectangular with grips molded in, which makes it very easy to hang on to. My older bars all had rounded grips with a slightly smaller diameter. Which you like best is probably a matter of personal taste, but one would probably get used to it very quickly.
Only possible drawback I could imagine is if the depower knob gets gunked up with sand or crud, but OR has tried to mitigate this possibility with an open knob design that would allow all that stuff to fall out during normal use. I think the best test of this will be hours on the water, and I expect this bar will see a lot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”