Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo stick shift bar

forum for kitesurfers

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ocean Rodeo stick shift bar

Postby ORSales » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:29 pm

Alamos,

The CL head is the same one we use on our Control Bar. Loop to top of CL Head is 12cms. We spent heavily on the U bar and the design, including 2 years of testing on the bar to ensure strength and durability. The next focus is a next gen CL / QR head but the one we are using is a proven effective design in use by 4 or 5 brands. We could have continued to delay the launch or we could go with this design and then improve upon it. At some point, you need to make a design public.

I'd love to get you, Argh and Starsky on the early bird demo list if interested... let's get your thoughts once you've used the bar!

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Faxie » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:34 pm

Looks better than the North imo, but I'm still not completely convinced. Especially about the wear on the lines.

With a regular clamcleat, you have a 4-5mm line running through. Takes a loooong time to chew up.

But on the rearlines you have what looks like to be a 2 mm line. Less tension too, so sand and debris gets between the fibers a lot more easy, so trimming where the lines are wound up in a tight radius will eat your lines from the inside.

It even happens with those 'no wear' PU tubed lines. Sand gets in, bar rubs against the PU a million times, line gets chewed up, you all of a sudden have a 3x longer PU tube :P

How much testing went into this?

I don't like the release mechanism too. The pin tends to flop around so you cant' get the CL in sometimes. (it's the same as the BWS right? )

And why no on the fly adjustable width? Thought that was the 'game changer' some years ago...

And what's the risk of accidentally bumping the knob, say when fishpoling or after a crash?

O and does the stopper actually work?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:56 pm

Faxie wrote:Looks better than the North imo, but I'm still not completely convinced. Especially about the wear on the lines.

With a regular clamcleat, you have a 4-5mm line running through. Takes a loooong time to chew up.

But on the rearlines you have what looks like to be a 2 mm line. Less tension too, so sand and debris gets between the fibers a lot more easy, so trimming where the lines are wound up in a tight radius will eat your lines from the inside.

How much testing went into this?
We have been using various designs of this bar for close to 5 years. The patents were all filed in 2012 so that would have been the earliest we would have taken the early designs out of the office to try.

The trim line is easier to replace on this bar than on our existing Control bar. You remove 4x screws, 1x bushing, 1x winder and cut the old line out. You thread in a new line, replace parts and terminate lines with overhand knots at equal distances. Re larkshead on the rear lines and slide sheath back over the connector. Probably less than 10 min if you know what you're doing. Video coming shortly.
Faxie wrote:I don't like the release mechanism too. The pin tends to flop around so you cant' get the CL in sometimes. (it's the same as the BWS right? )
This CL head is the same, yes. I've mentioned here - a bunch - that we continue to work to refine the bar. I would guess we are 12-18 months away from having a different CL head for the bar but no promises there. I find the re-set on this one quite easy but it's all personal taste.
Faxie wrote:And why no on the fly adjustable width? Thought that was the 'game changer' some years ago...
Our focus was to keep this bar as simple as possible while addressing the obvious benefits of removing the trim settings from the front lines. Original designs included bar ends that rotated to change bar size... they were left on the drawing room floor due to complications that would play back into your initial concerns mentioned above.
Faxie wrote:And what's the risk of accidentally bumping the knob, say when fishpoling or after a crash?
Each bump = 2cm of depower. So if you accidentally bump it you will loose a little bit of power mid loop. If you watch the video IKSurfMag just posted it shows the action quite well. You will notice the knob needs to move about 5mm to disengage and rotate... so it is a pretty deliberate bump.
Faxie wrote:O and does the stopper actually work?
The stopper! Almost overlooked in all of this.

This stopper will be sold as an accessory and works great on virtually all PU tubed bars. Here is a close up. Note the opposing grip on the lower part of green and upper part of black. Using one hand you push up with your thump on the green and pull down with your index finger on the black and this loosens the grip and lets you adjust its location. Let go and the black bungee snaps it back to a lock position.
02-1.jpg
02-1.jpg (54.78 KiB) Viewed 799 times

Jonpnw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Pacific Northwest
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Quikfin

Postby Jonpnw » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:29 pm

Shout out to Ocean Rodeo , not only introducing a new product but taking the time to address everyone's concerns. Nice work from the fella's up in Canada.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:40 pm

Jonpnw wrote:Shout out to Ocean Rodeo , not only introducing a new product but taking the time to address everyone's concerns. Nice work from the fella's up in Canada.
Been a very busy day! But stoked to see the excitement on the new products!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:40 am

iriejohn wrote:I have a twin tip and never "unhook"
Sorry I can't relate.

P.S. you don't need the quotes.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:10 am

It's funny, I looked at what North did just a couple weeks ago and dislike everything about it.
Now I look at what El Rudo designed here and I like it a lot.
Nice job JZ and the rest of OR crew.
I agree with Alamos on not needing a chicken loop but this bar system would be easy to live with.
Mostly I don't want a hook anymore and I've got a solution for that.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:19 am

ORSales wrote:Alamos,
I'd love to get you, Argh and Starsky on the early bird demo list if interested... let's get your thoughts once you've used the bar!

Wtf am I....real bacon?

sabraxas
Frequent Poster

Postby sabraxas » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:33 am

A few questions, OR sales:
¿What is the real purpose to replace the clamcleat with this trimming system?
¿What is the real advantage of this system vs clamcleat?
¿How quickly can you depower the bigger kites with this system?

Its seems to me a little bit weird to power/depower the kite in one far end of the bar, instead in the center part of it.

I would like to test the Stick Shift Bar.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:24 am

I like the look of this bar a lot. It looks cleaner for some reason than the north one. Yet to be seen which works better and is more reliable. I do prefer a nice round bar and not something interrupting it like this U. I think having used auto unspin and bearings a lot on my flysurfers the square depower auto unspin on the north is going to create annoyances and issues, so I prefer this bar for avoiding that. The knob on this bar does look a bit big and I would prefer the north bar end maybe. If the knob was smaller I would have less issue with it.

These things are going to take many years to iron out all issues and find a market, if they do :-/.

Return to “Kitesurfing”