forum for kitesurfers

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Many
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo stick shift bar

Postby corbett » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:40 pm

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster

Postby corbett » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:47 pm

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:50 pm

So is this bar a high "Y" or a low "V" or both like North's?

corbett
Very Frequent Poster

Postby corbett » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:53 pm

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Naish Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2014 8m,10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM
2015 17m Blade Fat Lady v3
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2014 Naish Antic 142, 2017 Core Choice 2 142

Postby dracop » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:38 pm

ORSales wrote:
Faxie wrote:O and does the stopper actually work?
The stopper! Almost overlooked in all of this.

This stopper will be sold as an accessory and works great on virtually all PU tubed bars. Here is a close up. Note the opposing grip on the lower part of green and upper part of black. Using one hand you push up with your thump on the green and pull down with your index finger on the black and this loosens the grip and lets you adjust its location. Let go and the black bungee snaps it back to a lock position.

02-1.jpg
So the stopper will work on a standard circular PU tube (Im hoping it works on the PU tubed Naish Fusion line - I miss my Deadmans!)?

I will love you guys forever if thats the case. When will this accessory become available for order? Any chance you could get me a demo version to test out on a variety of brand's bars? hehe

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Kanaha - Maui, HI
2014 8m,10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM

Postby dracop » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:58 pm

ORSales wrote:
windybrit wrote:Looks most interesting... I'd love to be able to say I "drive a stick" again. 2 questions when you have half a mo' please.
1, High or Low Y ?
2. Safety line runs inside the centre PU tube ?
Current design is a relatively high Y to allow maximum options for the sliding stopper ball. However, plans include a later release of a low Y option, this will be popular with schools, etc.

Safety line runs inside the PU tube...
How high does the Y split at the moment? 4 line only ?

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Kanaha - Maui, HI
2014 8m,10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM

Postby dracop » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:02 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
deniska wrote:The thing is made out of hollow plastic (per some expo videos).
What are the chances of it breaking up into 2 parts during a jump?
It happened to me (and not only me) with the old CORE plastic bar before the titanium reinforcement was introduced..

Can you operate it with 5mm mittens? (Love the new Soul Suit :-) )
"at least as strong as a regular bar" but they really need me on the payroll to test gear to destruction....
Im with you Kamikuza.

110kg with an aggressive style. I break alot of gear because manufacturers never have genuinely heavyweight riders pushing it when doing testing. Perhaps one day a brand will get the idea that large, heavyweight riders willing and able to throw hard tricks/maneivers can help them find out out the weaknesses in their systems BEFORE they release to market. Composite for the bar material? hehehhehe, bet I could bend it in normal use with a few loops in Cape Town.

Still, happy to see companies innovating at least.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:58 pm

corbett wrote:Hello Ocean Rodeo,

As someone who likes to landboard on sand, I seem to spend half my life dealing with seized bolts and rounded heads on my board.

You say you have several screws in your new bar, have you considered the problem of corrosion on bolts, seized bolts and rounded heads? I can round a bolt in 1 second.
The bar's winder is held in place with one stainless steel flat headed bolt. Given that you're likely to only ever remove this bolt once in the life of the bar, we are not worried about this but time will tell. I am sorry I cannot give you a better answer other than to say, all fittings are stainless.
corbett wrote:Will these bars be for sale on Amazon like other OR products? I ask because I've boycotted kite shops since I was a child and I love Amazon.
We proudly support brick and mortar shops, including the fact that our online store farms order fulfillment out to our retail partners. I cannot yet speculate if this bar will be in stock with Amazon or not.
corbett wrote:
Slappysan wrote:So is this bar a high "Y" or a low "V" or both like North's?
dracop wrote:How high does the Y split at the moment? 4 line only ?
Yes, with respect OR, I don't quite understand your answer on the Y or V question.

How far from the bar does the V start? in Feet or Metres.
The bar you see in the video iKiteSurf Mag posted on their Facebookshows a very low Y. This was only done for the trade show in order to allow proper demo of the trim adjustment. The production bars will have a high Y of about 1 meter of PU tube to allow maximum sheeting options for guys with long arms to slide the stopper all the way up. I expect - but cannot promise - that we will eventually release a version that features a lower Y for those who prefer it.
dracop wrote:So the stopper will work on a standard circular PU tube (Im hoping it works on the PU tubed Naish Fusion line - I miss my Deadmans!)?

I will love you guys forever if thats the case. When will this accessory become available for order? Any chance you could get me a demo version to test out on a variety of brand's bars? hehe
Drop me an email or PM and I will see what I can do for you. I expect the accessories will be for sale by the spring. Please note my earlier comment that this current version needs to slide onto the PU tube. We are already looking at ways to let it clamp on for version 2.0. This would make this accessory much more applicable for aftermarket re-sale for other brand's bars but even this current version is fine if you are OK disassembling your bar to allow it to slide on. This video shows the stopper in use pretty effectively.
dracop wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
deniska wrote:The thing is made out of hollow plastic (per some expo videos).
What are the chances of it breaking up into 2 parts during a jump?
It happened to me (and not only me) with the old CORE plastic bar before the titanium reinforcement was introduced..

Can you operate it with 5mm mittens? (Love the new Soul Suit :-) )
"at least as strong as a regular bar" but they really need me on the payroll to test gear to destruction....
Im with you Kamikuza.

110kg with an aggressive style. I break alot of gear because manufacturers never have genuinely heavyweight riders pushing it when doing testing. Perhaps one day a brand will get the idea that large, heavyweight riders willing and able to throw hard tricks/maneivers can help them find out out the weaknesses in their systems BEFORE they release to market. Composite for the bar material? hehehhehe, bet I could bend it in normal use with a few loops in Cape Town.

Still, happy to see companies innovating at least.
We worked with Camosun College's Industrial Design team to test these bars for 2+ years. In that period of time we tested a variety of other brand's bars and found an industry standard of roughly 185 kgf needed to break the bars. Our composite U bars are tested to tolerate up to 200 kgf. The materials are completely different than other brands may have ever used. We brought in plastic experts to consult on the project and refined the design through numerous iterations and re-tests. We absolutely insisted that if we went this route the bars would meet or exceed current bar strength standards and that if they failed, they would fail in a similar buckle to aluminum and not in a shatter of parts.

Dracop - please visit our Stick Shift Bar Page and sign up for early bird delivery of the bar. Make a note in the message field that you're Dacrop from kiteforum. We will reach out to you once the bars are available. I would be happy to see you test the gear.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: All kinds.

Postby POACHER » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:39 pm

John,

What is the length of bar throw (usable trim) to the Y?

Part of what I liked about the old school OR Freeride bar I had was the length of throw was huge, you didn't have to touch the chicken loop if you screwed up on something. We have pretty gusty, up/down wind where a ton of range in the bar can be really helpful.

What have your demos/testers thought of it in let's just call them "non caribbean/inland lake/survival sailing/shit conditions"?

I looked at the North Click, but I just can't imagine it being too intuitive (assumption!....) when I need to make a quick trim adjustment or use in gusty scenarios. I'm one of the weirdos that actually prefers below the bar for easy trim and more throw for our wonderful area kite conditions.

Youz guyz in Canadar get kinda shitty winds too eh?*
(I can say that as I'm an honorary Canuck being this far north....)

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:19 pm

POACHER wrote:John,

What is the length of bar throw (usable trim) to the Y?

Part of what I liked about the old school OR Freeride bar I had was the length of throw was huge, you didn't have to touch the chicken loop if you screwed up on something. We have pretty gusty, up/down wind where a ton of range in the bar can be really helpful.

What have your demos/testers thought of it in let's just call them "non caribbean/inland lake/survival sailing/shit conditions"?

I looked at the North Click, but I just can't imagine it being too intuitive (assumption!....) when I need to make a quick trim adjustment or use in gusty scenarios. I'm one of the weirdos that actually prefers below the bar for easy trim and more throw for our wonderful area kite conditions.

Youz guyz in Canadar get kinda shitty winds too eh?*
(I can say that as I'm an honorary Canuck being this far north....)
Final production bars should have 1-1.3 meters of PU tube, so plenty of distance to adjust your stopper. There may then be a shorter PU tube version for those who prefer the low Y.

Testing has gone perfectly. The bar strength was the single biggest hurdle. The winder is such a simple mechanism that there is almost nothing that can go wrong. The spool is held in place with tension, it rotates and a pin locks it off at 1/4 turn increments. Bump the knob and the spool pushes away from the pin and releases the spool to unwind... it is not rocket science and that's the way we wanted it. Simple, clean and minimal moving parts to fail or clog.

Return to “Kitesurfing”