Style: Freeride
Gear: 2016 Cabrinha Switchblade 8m
2016 Cabrinha Switchblade 11m
2017 North Jaime Textreme 133
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Apple Watch Series 2...

Postby BrollocksRSA » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:04 am

Would also like to know how accurate the jump height is in comparison to a WOO or Xensr Device.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Umm, this requires a xensr device to work. Android version works nicely.

My experience is that the Xensr logs similar heights to Woo v1 and PIQ. I'd test against Woo v2 but I'm awaiting a replacement device after it leaked. My personal theory is the charge pins corrode just enough to leak over time (I would rinse with fresh water as soon as I came in every session but it still leaked in the end).

I'm intending to coat with lithium grease before each session if my replacement ever turns up.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:54 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:41 pm
Umm, this requires a xensr device to work. Android version works nicely.
Your comment confused me, so I checked and this apple watch app does it all by itself! No Xensr device needed. :thumb: They have watch apps that work with their sensor air, but this app works all on its own.

Holy hell, how did they do that? And the app is free? Did Woo and Piq just get busted by a free app that does more than their hardware? :o I can see why these guys made this app. f'ing awesome! :D

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Ah yes (from the press release):

“It’s exciting for us at Xensr to unlock the potential of wearable technologies into sports where dedicated devices like the Xensr Air, Trace, Woo or PIQ tracker were required for detailed data like jumps and airtime."

I had assumed that this would have been a similar app to the android one. I guess this explains the shortage of hardware for warranty claims :-(

Edit:

Although this earlier post here: http://xensr.com/2017/06/

The Xensr Sessions app running on the Apple Watch connects to the Xensr Air 3D GPS wirelessly and enables athletes to integrate their Xensr Air session data into the watch. Combining motion analytics with heart rate creates a powerful tool for athletes to analyze their sessions in a new light with health data such as calories burned during their surf session, wave caught, waves attempted, swell height measurement and more. The Xensr Air combined with the Sessions app on the Apple Watch is the first surfing performance analytics solution to encompass surf data, environmental data and health data.

Seems they made huge progress between June and November.

Xensr
Rare Poster
Gear: n
Been thanked: 0

Postby Xensr » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:58 pm

No Xensr Needed: The app uses the watch's built in GPS, Gyro, Accel, & Pressure sensors. We had demo'd a direct connect between a Xensr and an Apple Watch on stage at Apple's WWDC event early this year.

Almost as accurate: Accuracy is pretty close to an Air, but because it's mounted on your arm instead of the board, you can cheat a little. Jump with your hand on the bar and then put your arm over your head at the apex of the jump and you can squeeze out an extra foot or two. That's the biggest difference. We'll run a quick comparison test this afternoon between Xensr Air, Piq, Woo, and the Sessions watch app and post the results here later today.

Updates/Bugs: The app is new, and there are a few bugs. We're working to fix the metric/imperial setting sync mentioned in a previous post. You can expect frequent updates and lots of improvements over time. If you run into a problem, have a feature request, or have questions, let us know!

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Great news! Looking forward to my next session. As for features, it would be nice if it was possible to see maximum and average speed while riding.

Xensr
Rare Poster
Gear: n
Been thanked: 0

Postby Xensr » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm

direnc wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:12 pm
Great news! Looking forward to my next session. As for features, it would be nice if it was possible to see maximum and average speed while riding.
Right now we show max speed. The watch screen is small, so we're not sure the best way to display all the information at once. You can't interact with the watch when water lock is enabled, so that makes toggling stats in a session difficult. I'm noting the request, and we'll see what we can do.

Qman
Rare Poster
Gear: 6m and 9m

Postby Qman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 am

This looks brilliant and a reason to buy a 'smart' watch.

Will it be launched on Android / or is there an Android equivalent?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Not if it's not waterproof enough it ain't.

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn

Postby Jelle_vw » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm

If my phone has the right sensors I could put it in a waterproof bag and wear it around my neck. I look forward to the development of this.

Return to “Kitesurfing”