Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Apple Watch Series 2...

Postby TomW » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:52 pm

I'm still waiting for the Nixon Mission. ATM 10.

foilonfoil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Current: Flysurfer Sonic 2's, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards. Previous: AlpineFoil Carbon 5.0, Spotz Tuna/Shark, Banga

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:58 am

alamos_kiter wrote:The apple watch 2 is water resistant to 5 atm / 50m according ISO 22810:2010. This means, it's nowhere fit for kiting. A watch fit for kiting has to be rated 2 classes higher (20 atm / 200m). The water pressure with splash on speed impact is pretty impressive,that's why.
Garmin Fenix 3 / Quatix 3 are only rated 10ATM.

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:55 am

Suunto Ambit has lasted ok - but have only used it for hydrofoiling, as the strap feels too weak for a boosting/wave session.

For normal use the Ripcurl tidemaster is fine - but no gps - there is a Ripcurl search/gps watch, but only 100m rated

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:21 am

foilonfoil wrote:Garmin Fenix 3 / Quatix 3 are only rated 10ATM.
I use watches rated 5 ATM no problem (most of the time), BUUUUT those are dirt cheap 10$ digital watches. How much was the Apple2 again? :D

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Nobile Flying Carpet

Postby pmaggie » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:05 am

Other than the water and the battery, it's the band of the Apple watch (and other similar stuff) that, imo, is not enough robust. I think that in case of a serious impact with the water (bad landed jump for example) there's 50% chance to loose a lot of $$$.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud

Postby airsurfer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:11 pm

I've been waiting for a good waterproof smart watch to come out as well but so far this works for me over the years (phone in aquapak worn inside of rash guard) Even better over the past several years with more water resistant phones with gorilla glass . Having a phone also adds a level of safety and opportunity for impromptu downwinder sessions.
aquapac.jpg
aquapac.jpg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 1463 times

foilonfoil
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Gear: Current: Flysurfer Sonic 2's, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards. Previous: AlpineFoil Carbon 5.0, Spotz Tuna/Shark, Banga

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:30 pm

I have been using the Garmin Quatix 3 and before that the Fenix 2. My only complaint is the brightness of the screen in darker environments but good in daylight and great on the water with activity tracking running- Unlike the apple watch, the screen on the garmin is on all the time. Awesome battery life, barometer, altimeter, compass, GPS, bluetooth, customizable activities.

The Fenix/Quatrix are up there in price but you the only real choice when looking at the apple watch is the steel case ($500+) or Ceramic case ($1100+) given aluminum and salt water do not go well together.

From yesterday...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 9.33.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 9.33.10 AM.png (255.88 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 9.31.31 AM.png

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:56 pm

that lawn looks clean & nicely cut now foil :D

foilonfoil
Frequent Poster

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:40 pm

alamos_kiter wrote:that lawn looks clean & nicely cut now foil :D
LOL! Staying local and practicing tacks is all I am doing these days ;)

Wind is coming 45 degrees from bottom left of the screen to top right. What's not clear is the insane upwind angeles foiling heading to the West/left and reaching heading East/right. The drops South/down are me positioning upwind for tack attempts. Regular twin tip lawn mowing cannot achieve these angles. The 27.8mph was a sustained high speed run chasing down a power boat.

Foiling tacks are kicking my ass but now kite control is really good as is board control... Just not coordinating moving my feet/body quick enough. Failures are now gentle miss steps whereas a month ago, they were spectacular crashes. Achieved a few tacks where after coming around, feet are in the right place but I dropped my butt in the ocean then power up and take off... So technically I have achieved the skill of "ass tacking" but obviously not good enough.

I'm 100% sure my lack of dancing skill impacts my tacking skills.

Attached is a "good old days" 24 mile round trip run upwind from a few months back which I will not start again until tacks are perfected. All the transitions below were gibes...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 7.52.45 AM.png

vide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby vide » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:52 am

I've been kiting surfing and swimming with the original Apple watch since day 1. I even took it diving by mistake and it survived. I now have the new Apple Watch. Kited with it today - worked a treat. Gps very fast, screen very bright. No issues with battery. My watch is still on 50% now at 6pm. I used the watch in cycling mode. You get heart rate too and can share map or run. Hopefully Apple allows custom sports to be setup or someone creates a kitesurf app. A surf app would be easy and would kill the ripcurl surf watch.

Return to “Kitesurfing”