Lake Garda

Forum for kitesurfers
Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Lake Garda

Postby Alysum » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Heading to near the south of Lake Garda next week for a week with some family 8) Is it worth taking my gear with me ? What's the wind and water temperature like this time of the year ?

Looks like there's not many beaches and I read that some go out by boat ? Would appreciate some tips. I have a 9m and 13m.

Cheers :thumb:

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Re: Lake Garda

Postby Frank82 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:43 pm

I think there's only wind in the north of lake garda and there's few launch spots.

kooma
Rare Poster
Gear: 9m2, 12m2, 13.5m2, 18m2 LEI
Been thanked: 0

Postby kooma » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:33 am

The launch and landing spots are horrible, it's best to do what practically everybody does: get a boat ride out there. The kitesurfers seem to be mostly in the center part of the lake, whereas north is very populated with windsurfers. I liked it a lot, was there two years ago. Most of the towns in the north have an operator that can get you out there with a boat, and they are used to setting you up for the boat launch. I wasn't in the south so don't know what the situation is there.

sindarlotodo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lago di Como
Gear: Airush DNA 6m 2012
Best Kahoona 9.5 2015
Best Kahoona 13,5 2011
Clash Reincarnation 138 2012
North Freestyle fish 5'3 2009
Naish Alaia 2013
White door LW unknown
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150 2013
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sindarlotodo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:15 am

Check out Campione del Garda.

Its by far the best spot in the area.

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks for the responses. Not sure I'll take my gear as it seems tricky to find space to launch and I'm not madly keen on having to go out on a boat !

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:57 am

you came from australia to kite in garda lake launching from a boat?
leave stuff home ....get a car and visit places ...alps...venice ...florence ...treviso etc
expect traffic everywhere you go
ciao

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:10 am

Garda lake is under the authority of two different italian regions, Veneto (southern part) and Trentino (northern part). Kiting in northern Garda lake (and in all the Trentino region) is forbidden, so you can kite only in the southern part. As Piccio says, you have to launch from a boat since there is (almost, with the exception of 2 horrible spots) no beach you can launch from. Anyway, the wind is very very good, especially in the early morning (called Pelèr) and I think it really deserves a go. The only thing I can tell you is to "prepare" the kite day: contact a school and book your seat on the boat. Normally it's not very expensive. They will ask for sure a float vest (mandatory by law on all the northern Italia lakes, also in my home spot in Como lake) and an insurance for damages against others (you can buy it directly at the school if you don't have one). Also, they will for sure ask for an IKO or similar certificate to be sure you're confident with your kite.
This is one school's link but there are many, just check the web.

http://www.mks-kite.com/

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:37 am

I'm considering the possibility of buying a place near Lake Garda. Beautiful scenery, hiking, biking, skiing & amazing Italian towns to visit, as well as proximity to Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, France etc. How good is the kiting on Lake Garda? I would still make trips to wave spots in the winter & would probably be more focused on foiling on Lake Garda. How consistent is the wind in the area you can kite in? Also ... how is kiting in Sicily?

Return to “Kitesurfing”