Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

The Jester - The Duke's courtyard entertainer

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:22 am

Ocean Rodeo News:

The Jester - The Duke's courtyard entertainer

1 or.jpg
The Jester joins the Duke as the trickster of the court, rounding out the world’s first line of kiteboard dedicated funboards!

Team riders and the design team classify the Jester as hyperactive, twitchy and one hell of a fun board to ride. Built for riders of all sizes who crave a light and lively ride or ideal for a smaller, lighter rider who will appreciate the thinned volume and outline.

Preloaded with its own punk attitude and flare on the water, the Jester begs for strapless freestyle riding or charging the outside peak and into a wave that only a fool would dare.

Built with our Duke tested compression molded construction, full eva deck pad and future fin boxes; the Jester ships ready to ride with three possible fin set ups: Quad, Tri-Fin or Thruster. The Jester ships complete with 5 fins, foot straps and a multi tool.

Remember, all Ocean Rodeo Products come with a 60 day Satisfaction Guarantee.

First deliveries start, early October.

https://oceanrodeo.com/kiteboarding/boards/jester/
2 or.png
2 or.png (342.16 KiB) Viewed 3317 times

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The Jester - The Duke's courtyard entertainer

Postby ORSales » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Thanks for sharing Toby! We are pumped on this board!

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:02 am

Love the dayglo colour - especially when its black stormy weather, makes for great photo shots down the line too..

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .
Been thanked: 0

Postby tommeltot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:12 pm

Is anybody in a position to post a review on the board yet? What are the advantages over the ''slightly' bigger Duke?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:22 pm

tommeltot wrote:Is anybody in a position to post a review on the board yet? What are the advantages over the ''slightly' bigger Duke?
Adam did a pretty bang up summary on the other OR thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2393822&start=50

In terms of advantages, the board is lighter and more nimble so for those who wish to be more expressive in their riding, it works beautifully. Also great for lighter / smaller riders looking for the Duke experience.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:56 am

tommeltot wrote:Is anybody in a position to post a review on the board yet? What are the advantages over the ''slightly' bigger Duke?
Yeah, I really want a couple more of good sessions on it to make sure I don't miss anything.........unfortunately our governor in SC has called for a massive evacuation which in turn closed the beaches to non-residents (I live on an island 10 minutes away, yet can't surf/kite/anything until they say so). Can you tell I'm a bit frustrated?

Anyways - I'm 6'0, 175 lbs, and I ride mostly the Mako Duke and now Jester, and I've ridden the whole Mako line at one time or another, but these two are by far my favorite.

My overall thoughts on the Mako Duke/Jester is that it's the perfect directional for kiteboarding because it's made for what we are in typically - wind-driven, short period waves. I'd love to be blessed with long period, side-off conditions, but generally it's 4-5 second side-onshore bumps with chop. So, the line has an instant advantage over a traditional surfboard because it's smooth and has more grip, and therefore more speed in chop.

With all of that said, here's some thoughts:

-Ride/Feel
The Jester has the same smooth ride as the Duke, I really didn't feel much of a sacrifice there at all, the concave is doing it's job. It's definitely quicker rail to rail on bottom turns, and overall more nimble.
The trade-off is that the Duke will get up and going a bit earlier, but it's not a huge gap say from going from the Duke to a traditional twintip, probably a 1m kite size difference.
I rode the Jester as both a Quad and Thruster, and preferred the thruster setup, it is probably personal preference, but it felt a bit squirrelly when I got my foot to the stomp pad as a quad.

Build Quality/Deck Pad/Fins
-I'll say this, I'm extremely tough on gear, and the Mako Duke has basically set in my Jeep for the better part of a year and slammed around constantly (including into a bunch of rocks) and it's bulletproof, more so than any other board I've had. Jester I'm still trying to protect because it's new and shiny, but it's taking dings left and right with no visible marks. Deckpad is really comfortable, much better than the traditional raised grip on some boards. Fins are Futures and not your basic cheap-o stock fin. Haven't put the straps on, and never did with the Duke, but I'm tempted to try the Jester with straps because of it's lightness to do some airs, etc.

So who's the Jester for?
-I think it's ideal for anyone that wants to get into strapless airs, when you combine it's lighter profile and volume and the grip of the Mako, it's a perfect combination. I'm not very good at them, but I'm finding myself trying some shove-it's and backrolls (with little to no luck).

-It's probably a good complement for the Duke as well if you love the Duke and want something for when the wind/waves are really on, think of it as Razor:Jester as Duke:Prodigy.

-Anyone that wants to get into directional riding and wants a nice platform to learn to gybe, etc. and is in less than ideal waves.

Shoot me questions or whatever if anyone is on the fence trying to decide.

Thomas A
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Denmark
Gear: LF, BEST, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Thomas A » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:10 am

Can you tell me the weight of the jester compared to the duke?

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:32 am

In Quad fin set up the Duke is 8.6lbs and the Jester is 7.1lbs
Duke and Jester.JPG

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:27 pm

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:40 pm

I'll try to get a properly embeddable video link but Reece Myerscough just posted a pretty fun edit of his summer jester skills. The red one is a pre production sample. Green is obviously newer full production board.

facebook video link

Return to “Kitesurfing”