Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gopro studio - driving me crazy

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Gopro studio - driving me crazy

Postby nicor » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:31 am

I'm working on a new kite video, and to date I've used Gopro studio to edit. However, I've somehow only realized that the quality of the video deteriorates when I convert the original video from the .mp4 file to the .avi file for editing. I've been trading emails with gopro client servicing that say that the video quality should be as good or better after conversion! The issue does not seem to be the image quality, but rather a loss of fps -- the video seems to run choppy after conversion. This is super aggravating to me as I should be able to build a good quality vid with the original footage. So the project is on hold until I can some answers.

Please understand the gopro footage has been downloaded to my computer, and the video is excellent in the video player on my computer. Its is also excellent in the when I bring to Gopro studio initially. So Step 1 the gopro video it fine (so this is not the problem). The problem is when I move to step 2, after conversion to avi, this is when I seem to lose FPS. Since the video is runs fine before the conversion I think my system is capable of running the video that is good quality in mp4 file format.

Anyone else have this problem? more importantly is there a solutions? or should I just expect to have crappy videos with gopro?

I can't see myself ever upgrading the camera if the end product cannot replicate the original video.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Gopro studio - driving me crazy

Postby edt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:44 am

gopro studio is pretty limited. you dont actually need it for anything for instance if you want protune you can do that from the front panel you dont actually even need gopro studio for that. so why use gopro studio? I dunno. Because it's there? I like Sony Vegas Pro, it's medium end pro-sumer software for about $200-$300 worth it. If you're on a mac you can use imovie that's decent. I have used movie maker on windows before but it's difficult to get a more polished video from it. As for othe actual problem I am pretty sure you have some kind of problem with your codecs, it's probably not the gopro software itself but some kind of codec conversion problem. first delete all of your old avi codecs if you can find them in your programs and features panel. Then load up new ones. I would try "Avi Codec Pack Pro" make sure you don't check the garbage ware it tries to install when you do this or you might need to reset the home page on your web browsers. Also you can try download the free software Avidemux 2.6 just to test to make sure it's a codec problem. Avidemux gives you the option to convert from and to any video formats that you might have on your computer. Hope this helps. Figuring out codecs problems is not for the faint hearted by the way. You might need some reboots and they can be a little bit tricky to track down.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:19 am

nicor wrote:I'm working on a new kite video, and to date I've used Gopro studio to edit. However, I've somehow only realized that the quality of the video deteriorates when I convert the original video from the .mp4 file to the .avi file for editing. I've been trading emails with gopro client servicing that say that the video quality should be as good or better after conversion! The issue does not seem to be the image quality, but rather a loss of fps -- the video seems to run choppy after conversion. This is super aggravating to me as I should be able to build a good quality vid with the original footage. So the project is on hold until I can some answers.

Please understand the gopro footage has been downloaded to my computer, and the video is excellent in the video player on my computer. Its is also excellent in the when I bring to Gopro studio initially. So Step 1 the gopro video it fine (so this is not the problem). The problem is when I move to step 2, after conversion to avi, this is when I seem to lose FPS. Since the video is runs fine before the conversion I think my system is capable of running the video that is good quality in mp4 file format.

Anyone else have this problem? more importantly is there a solutions? or should I just expect to have crappy videos with gopro?

I can't see myself ever upgrading the camera if the end product cannot replicate the original video.
Double-check the conversion settings before you do the convert. I had a problem when I first started using Studio where it would not save the conversion settings, so I just make a point to check them before I convert each time. It should not drop in resolution or frame rate.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:32 pm

Stop using the GoPro studio. It's a crappy program. iMovie is way better if you have a Mac and don't want to spend $. There are also a number of good free editors for PC.

Bill C
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bill C » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Don't bother with GoPro Studio. Too frustrating. Demo several edit software and choose one. Look at Power Director.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:54 pm

first thing I was told by a friend after buying a gopro was don't use the software. lol, while gopro has one of the best image quality sport cameras out there the software has some glitches. Unfortunately all of the editing softwares have glitches. Glitches can be caused by the software itself or from your computer not interacting with the software smoothly for some reason so sometimes its hard to tell wht the problem is. I use power director but it has its moment where it acts up also.

yojimbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: dillon
Style: kite surf

Postby yojimbo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:04 am

Can everyone please stop shitting on GoPro Studio. Seriously, wtf?

We get it, you are a knowledgeable video editor, and you think the GoPro Studio is garbage. Whatever. It wasn't design for you, so lay off. It was designed to be as simple as possible, so that someone without any A/V knowledge could edit their GoPro video and upload it to YouTube, Vimeo, FB, etc.
It is a great intro into the world of video editing, basically walking you through all the steps.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:31 am

imovie is a great movie editor for someone with no video knowledge. It is what gopro studio wishes it was. gopro studio is klunky. You have to learn the gopro studio way of doing things. imovie is simple and works in a way that a non-computer expert expects it to work The equivalent on the windows side for a simple program would be windows movie maker but it doesn't produce as quality results as the other products. I think the reason why we are encouraging people to leave gopro studio as soon as possible is that you invest hours and hours of learning how to do things the gopro studio way and all that time is wasted once you move to another (and better) movie production system. It just sucks to have someone invest hours and hours of time learning how to do it this way. If gopro studio actually was easy for a noob to use, no harm to use it but the problem is that it's not intuitive. It makes you learn how to edit movies in a really strange way. I think everyone who edits movies eventually wants to level up. If you do want to ever level up and start making better videos then why not leave gopro studio as soon as possible?

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:57 am

yojimbo wrote:Can everyone please stop shitting on GoPro Studio. Seriously, wtf?

We get it, you are a knowledgeable video editor, and you think the GoPro Studio is garbage. Whatever. It wasn't design for you, so lay off. It was designed to be as simple as possible, so that someone without any A/V knowledge could edit their GoPro video and upload it to YouTube, Vimeo, FB, etc.
It is a great intro into the world of video editing, basically walking you through all the steps.
Awww does someone, or their significant other work in the studio dev team? You do live in the bay area...

You don't have to be a "knowledgeable video editor," because I'm sure not, but after crashing 3/5 times on two different versions (and different OS's) I gave up on it. It's a mediocre program at best just based off that.

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:05 pm

Sorry for the late reply. (pretty late, but I've been working)

Ok I'm officially getting nowhere with Gopro, I have to change my video editing software.

I would use iMovie, but the big problem is I can't seem to rotate the original footage so I'm not upside down half the time. :angryfire: any solutions?

If not, can you guys give me some suggestions of an ok software. I'm looking for ease of use as I'm not a pro, good quality output and also that I can rotate the original footage.

Thanks!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”