Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Re: What Board for Big Air

Postby Do-it » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:36 pm

I like kite loops as well......pretty sure my boards are better.......lol

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:14 pm

I have heard the North Jaime is meant to be a very good board. I will do some more research.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:33 pm

research doesn't matter as much as a demo.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:53 pm

I understand all of this (notice my joined date).

I've been doing this for 17 years but at our local spot we do not have kite shops or an abundance of boards to demo. I'm asking for advice based on others experience, this is what forums are for. If the answer to everything was go out and try Toby might as well close the forum now.

Research and chatting with others who you can trust (to some extent) is most important, especially when demos aren't readily available.

Anyone have any further experience of upgrading their boards?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:12 am

lol didnt see that bruh. Another board I like a lot is the axis billy. I normally don't like boards with a ton of rocker because I need that extra power upwind but despite this, I have really enjoyed the axis billy, it is a pretty much perfect wakestyle board but only comes in 139 which can be a big problem because Billy Parker is only 160 or so and the board gets tuned just for him and if you weigh more too bad. The other axis boards seem really nice too.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:45 am

fat blokes can fly wrote:So time has come to consider a new board. I currently ride a Flyradical S 2011 which is good for boosting off flat water but not very good in chop and it also throws up spray to the face. It is also not very forgiving on the knees. Saying that it has been a good board, just fancy a change.

So what is out there that is ok in chop and boosts well, aiming to beat my current personal best on the WOO.

Couple of options that are on discount at the minute are Crazyfly Raptor LTD & Brunotti Dimension. What else is out there and what have you guys experienced?
Huh. I find the squarer rails of the Flyboards spray a lot less into the face. Where is the spray coming from?

Like my Axis Limited a lot. I think I want another square ranked board, but will hate to give up the channels...

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: whale harbor (the keys)
Style: airstyle freestyle
Gear: Best Roca, Best Armada, Best TS
Brand Affiliation: Best

Postby lindseym » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:17 am

When choosing a board don't think in terms of style, think in terms of personal preference. So for example, I cannot stand real skatey boards; I like them to stick to the water like glue and don't mind the trade offs. There should be some key preferences you have. Identify them, then go out and demo at least 5 boards. Or, if you can't demo buy them cheap then sell them if you don't like them. Prior to my Nomad board I had a rotating door of boards I would buy cheap on craigslist or eBay then resell usually for the same price or maybe $20 cheaper.

The board I have been using for awhile is a Nomad (Prototype). Its a custom board from Germany. Super expensive but completely worth it. I would have never ordered one buy my friend had one and as soon as I demo'd his I order one within the next few days. I did recently try an F-One Acid just for kicks and absolutely fell in love. They pitch it as a new school board but for powered conditions is stellar. I was going to get a Trax but am thinking I will get the Acid now. Im sure your seeing a theme here (demo, demo, demo).

A final comment on spray. The best thing you can do for spray is to get glasses and accept the fact that all boards create some spray...especially in chop. In fact, by putting a little more pressure on your front foot and getting more board surface in the water you will create more tension and boost higher. I see spray almost as a good thing.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:25 am

the board has little to do with boosting. kite and techniques. .....

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:43 am

I'm the same weight as op.I'm using the cf ltd in 136 and 140.Both are nice in their wind range.Not sure about helping me jump higher but the 136 is way better on hot landings,very forgiving.I'm currently addicted to loops and even at top speed it is possible to come out on my feet.the 140 gains me a few knots on low end.I think they may be a little on stiff side but I don't really notice.The ltd doesn't face spray as much as the standard raptor.Always loved my undergrounds so I think axis are good boards,my friend loves the ride of the vanguard.just my 2 cents.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:47 am

What they said. When boosting huge, sent airs it's mostly about the kite, the ramp, and your timing. One thing I will say, those rare times when I ride a TT, my Shinn Monk holds down as much power as I can throw at it, smooths chop really well, and doesn't spray. All necessary qualities for sent airs vs. popped jumps. You'll have to demo and see what you like, but read the reviews and the Monk should definitely be on your try list.

Return to “Kitesurfing”