Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Re: What Board for Big Air

Postby John-B » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:18 am

fat blokes can fly wrote:I understand all of this (notice my joined date). I've been doing this for 17 years but at our local spot we do not have kite shops or an abundance of boards to demo. I'm asking for advice based on others experience, this is what forums are for. If the answer to everything was go out and try Toby might as well close the forum now.

Research and chatting with others who you can trust (to some extent) is most important, especially when demos aren't readily available. Anyone have any further experience of upgrading their boards?
Jeez - the replies you get on here sometimes eh? So to be clear to others this guy know how to boost - the technique is down. He is looking for advice on a new board, because yes the tech has got much better. He wants something that will let him rip in shitty UK chop without constantly having to fight the board to prevent spray into the face, thus making it more uncomfortable on the knees.

The Monk or the new Ronson and pretty much any of the Shinn range will do what you want - a large proportion of the guys up here use them because of their chop handling. Get in touch with Mike Birt at Ktwo and he'll hook you up a demo board - he loves the new Ronson for boosting and I have one in the post. I'm like you - for me it's all about the height and I did have the ADHD (it's advertised as a freestyle board) because the rocker just smoothed everything out and in many ways it felt less frantic and more controlled than the Monk and for what is billed as the stiffest board was strangely the most comfortable for my dodgy knee.

Alternatively come up and try lots of boards at a weekend I'm organising :thumb:

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:08 am

Thankyou John-B, the voice of reason and clarity! :lol: :thumb:

Within the last year I have purchased a WOO I've recently changed most of my kites to Ozone Edge (vast improvement) and managed to get on the water 59 times this year. Happy Times.

My knees sound like crisp packets and the super straight rail of my Flyradical chucks spray up between my legs. Previous boards didn't do this, but board characteristics are all about trade offs. I wouldn't say my board is particularly quick, so fancy a something a bit quicker and better in chop.

As EDT has previously mentioned the North Jaime, I can source a 2015 for ok-ish money.

There is someone selling an ADHD on FB (is that you)? Reading the blurb on the ADHD it is a wakestyle specific board?

The Ronson will be too strong money for me, not paying <£700 for a board.

I also like the sound of the Crazyfly Raptor

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Naish Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2014 8m,10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM
2015 17m Blade Fat Lady v3
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2014 Naish Antic 142, 2017 Core Choice 2 142

Postby dracop » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:05 am

Consider an Axis Limited from prior year. If youa re fat, get the 2016 now that 2017 is out - they reinforced the center in 2016 which was abit flexy for heavyweights. Aside from that, that is one of the best boards of all time I ever demoed. Genuinely impressed me. Also showed me how Carbon can help a board. Strangely, I was not a fan of the Vanguard - whcih is the identical board in just wood. The Carbon really shines here. Shame I didnt have a gajillion dollars at the time but should be on clearance now.

An fOne Acid or Trax is an interesitng board, the Acid is comfy and rides really well for such a small board.

I just finished picking up a Core Choice 2 142x42.5. Rode it for 5 min today before wind dropped below my Fat Lady's threshold. When the Fat Lady sings, Im done... Will let you know my thoughts - so far so good though.

I dont agree with the consensus here that board does not matter IF you are using a really old board. Board tech has improved this past 6 years I promise you! Mind you, technique is more important but if you alreayd ahve that, newer tech can help/make it more pleasant.Kinda funny, alot of people in HI looked at me like crazy for bringing a Best 145x44 Breeze (think stiff flat rectangle), but I boost off waves and can actually ride waves with it. Once in a blue moon the corner catches on a wave but I know how to ride it in 4m waves.. So technique is def king, but tech can help and make it more pleasant.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:27 am

No I think board has a lot to say.

First, the spray issue is generally from the front heelside board tip. Boards with a nudge in the front will have less spray.
To jump higher you have to go with more speed, and to control that you need a stiffer board. Generally speaking, stiffer board = more control. Flex = reflex = less control. You still have to add technique, though.

So I use the Naish Monarch. I am super curious on the new drive board. One of the issues with a very stiff board is that is not always a comfortable ride, which the channels kind of mitigate. It is weird because the ride feels a bit stiffer, yet you can hold pretty good speed in bumpy conditions.

So basically what I am saying is that you should try the monarch if you can.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:04 am

For less board spray you need more rocker to keep the nose out of the chop. At 100kg I would go for as big as you can get in what ever board you choose. It will give more board speed and more edge to generate pop with. I'm around 90kg and I don't ride anything under a 140.

John-B
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:05 pm

fat blokes can fly wrote:Thankyou John-B, the voice of reason and clarity! :lol: :thumb:
There is someone selling an ADHD on FB (is that you)? Reading the blurb on the ADHD it is a wakestyle specific board?
Mine sold fast. I know it's billed as wakestyle and you can get huge carve pop out of it, but it is seriously smooth. I had the Ultrasonic before it and I absolutely loved the stamp pop in that for boosting, but the huge straight rail pushed back too much after I tweaked my crappy knee. The 2015 ADHD is on closeout now (same as the 2016 which had a graphics update) - https://www.24-7boardsports.com/shinn-a ... oard-2015/ Mark at Boardworx was a big fan of the V1.

If you find a Monk (the go fast on closeout and SH) then you really can't go wrong - its a super fun slash and burn board, but super comfortable and zero spray. there is a reason they are so popular.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:44 pm

TheJoe wrote:For less board spray you need more rocker to keep the nose out of the chop. At 100kg I would go for as big as you can get in what ever board you choose. It will give more board speed and more edge to generate pop with. I'm around 90kg and I don't ride anything under a 140.
Or if the board is flat make sure it has a spray diversion tip. Not sure what to call it, but the tip should not be square. A cut in, and an angle on the tip usually helps.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:56 pm

surfboard =no board spray

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:10 pm

Do-it wrote:surfboard =no board spray
But obviously not so good for maximizing your jumps, which is what the OP wants.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:46 pm

You can jump just as high on a strapped surfboard as a twintip. Landing though that's the problem and why a twintip is better for jumps. too easy to bust a surfboard in two if you land wrong.

Return to “Kitesurfing”