What Board for Big Air

forum for kitesurfers

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Re: What Board for Big Air

Postby Do-it » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:05 am

edt wrote:You can jump just as high on a strapped surfboard as a twintip. Landing though that's the problem and why a twintip is better for jumps. too easy to bust a surfboard in two if you land wrong.

That is correct.....landing takes a little getting used to. just have to learn to point the board down wind. I have no issues landing back/front roll kiteloop either. if anything its smoother because you pay more attention to the board direction.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kjorn » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:16 am

I was in the same position as you. I had two boards, a crazy fly chatwel pro which was wide and stiff. My other board was a dinky 115. The 115 was great, but didn't hold an edge well, the crazyfly had really wide tips that I found much too hard to edge with in chop. So on those boards I was boosting 9m

Then I purchased a Cabrinha tronic with h2o footpads, this really helped. It has narrower tips and has more flex, it edges much better and I find I can control a lot more power. Obviously I could edge with my old boards, but I found the difference between over powered and over powered going 10,000 mph was too fine. The tronic lets me get a little out of control and then regain it. Anyway, my boosts are now 10m-11m now.

Lots of my mates love the Shin boards and the Epic boards. The North Jamie has a lot of nice flex in it, but it is really expensive. The Epic is really flexi, so it's super fast as it's flat, then when you stamp the rail it flexes a little giving you that pop.

Man, new boards have come on a long way since the old days.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:35 am

If all you want to do is boost by holding your edge hard in chop you might think about a Mako as well. Have a friend who goes crazy big on his. It looks fast and pretty solid in the chop, but could just be him!

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:51 am

knotwindy wrote:If all you want to do is boost by holding your edge hard in chop you might think about a Mako as well. Have a friend who goes crazy big on his. It looks fast and pretty solid in the chop, but could just be him!
It's just him. The Mako is a super smooth board, I rode one for a few years, and you can certainly go big on it, but it doesn't hold an edge like the Monk. And that's what you need to go really big. Hold down a ridiculous amount of power then release it when you send the kite. I liked the Mako for cruising, but eventually sold it because, while smooth, that deep concave tends to wash out when overpowered.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:32 pm

edt wrote:You can jump just as high on a strapped surfboard as a twintip..
This is not true. Going high is all about going as fast as possible loading the rail up with the most about of power possible before releasing it and transferring into vertical height. The best rail to do that with is a sharp rail square-ish tipped tt with moderate rocker. The more power you can hold and transfer into height the better.

Look at the Kota boards riders are using. Not an sb in sight, not a rounded tipped tt (mako) in sight.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:11 pm

plummet wrote:Look at the Kota boards riders are using. Not an sb in sight, not a rounded tipped tt (mako) in sight.
King of the air is not a real good example. Those guys are all sponsored. If it were just about height they would all be on Naish Torches. Also, they are using huge rockered boards with very low top speed. If they wanted maximum height they wouldn't be riding the gambler, monarch, Xcaliber they would be riding the jaime, drive and the ace something like that. For them it's all about sponsorship. And it's not just about "loading up" maximum height requires a high top speed too. I don't think any of the top pros riders is sponsored to ride Mako otherwise who knows maybe they would be forced to ride it. For conditions like in the cape it gets so huge that you can't really build up a ton of speed, but for other places where the water is flatter, bearing off downwind a bit and building up a huge amount of speed will help you boost the highest and that's one thing those wakeboard style pro boards like the gambler don't do so good, you hit about 20 knots then you are capped because of the rocker, but with a flatter board you can get up to almost 30 knots and that lets you jump higher.

ThickAir
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby ThickAir » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Monk is a truly wonderful board, but you won't get maximum pop from it - tips are too soft.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Speed = lift

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:19 am

Do-it wrote:Speed = lift
Agreed but the ability to edge at the highest speed possible translates this into lift.

Hence board design given same ability rider, in same water conditions, in same wind speed and type, on the same/similar kite... is important.

given this bloke is the same vintage as me (17 years) then we can assume he doesn't need a lesson in edging and kite technique, nor the basics behind speed and lift.

The last variable for a very experienced rider is his gear, because he is someone that could make the small differences in a board worthwhile (most it doesn't matter shit cause they will never maximise the performance characteristics of the board anyhow).

So given my hypothesis I would look at..

2014 Team series (mine) or the 2015-2017 Jaime pro (essentially the same board), Naish monarch, Axis Limited, Xenon Laluz (softer not as good but a good play if you don't like channels), Nobile NHP (especially if you need that extra rocker cause of the damn chop), given these are the ones I've specifically ridden and found best to hold a massive edge at a kites top end and still offer some flex in choppy conditions...which is where you need to be with big air. It's no secret, ya wanna go big, you got to be very powered to the point most would be two kites sizes smaller on any given day.

For example just recently my 110kg mate was on a 8m nitro nicely powered and I, at 80kg was on a 10m rebel. 25-30 going big off head high waves with lead in ramps.

It's not rocket science.

Biggest kite you can handle and yet hold an adequate edge.

if the kites not cavetating, you are NOT overpowered for big air. But you need a board that can edge (at maximum speed) against the sent kite to maximise, then release line load.

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:10 am

From reading the above, it still sounds like the old school Mutant is the ultimate design
Good nose rocker, sharp rails, flat tail rocker for speed and fins for grip and drive - makes my smile how most riders have never seen one & ask what it is - but as above, you have to be used to your kit & unless you are "moon walking" to the water, you wont be boosting

Return to “Kitesurfing”