Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby baxterbradford » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:18 pm

SonnyRider wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:38 pm
I was always tempted/interested in the MPH boards. Having spoke with a couple of people and how much they liked them. I really wanted a demo, but, nothing here in the UK. After much deliberation and finding out as much info as I could, I bit the bullet and took a punt on the EVO.
Where did you get the EVO from in UK please? Down the Line in Hayle & other shops only seem to stock surf construction. Only place I can find Helium EVO is Boardshop who have a 5'1" and 4'10", both of which are too small for me. For last 18 month I've really enjoyed the flex & low volume of Axis New Wave 5'8" having found Celeritas 5'11" too corky/bouncy in Solent chop. Am curious about MPH since they seem to go so well. Worried about state of Sterling and how cost of new kit is going to escalate, but that's another topic!

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Jan:) wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:36 pm
SonnyRider wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am
I recently got myself a 5'3" EVO in Helium. I didn't bother weighing it, I'm anal, but not that anal.
I made it a habit of weighing all my boards when they are new and writing the numbers down.
It is the only way to know if your board has taken on water after a ding.
Damn, that's a smart move. :thumb: 8)

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:34 pm

SonnyRider wrote:
magnusod wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:16 pm

If you liked the Cypher, then go with that. But, there will always be the what 'if scenario'. But, sorry, I can't help you because I've not tried one.
No worries Sonny, great info anyway!

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 am

baxterbradford wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:18 pm
SonnyRider wrote:
I was always tempted/interested in the MPH boards. Having spoke with a couple of people and how much they liked them. I really wanted a demo, but, nothing here in the UK. After much deliberation and finding out as much info as I could, I bit the bullet and took a punt on the EVO.
Where did you get the EVO from in UK please? Down the Line in Hayle & other shops only seem to stock surf construction. Only place I can find Helium EVO is Boardshop who have a 5'1" and 4'10", both of which are too small for me. For last 18 month I've really enjoyed the flex & low volume of Axis New Wave 5'8" having found Celeritas 5'11" too corky/bouncy in Solent chop. Am curious about MPH since they seem to go so well. Worried about state of Sterling and how cost of new kit is going to escalate, but that's another topic!

Hi Baxter,

Like you I only found the smaller boards in stock and everyone else is just stocking the surf construction. When you talk to them, I found them not much help, because they are surfers. And don't really understand our needs. I had one shop tell me I could use an LFT build :lol:
I found the contact on Firewire's website - https://firewiresurfboards.com/contact/ I filled in the information and I received some helpful advise after asking a few questions (I was told the 5'1" would be good for higher winds and the 5'3" would be good for medium winds) and contact details of someone here in the UK.

Stock is low for the bigger boards, normally a pre-order scenario and wait for a month or so. I was lucky, as a board had just come into the country and the guy grabbed that one for me, saving me a 4 week wait.

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites

Postby baxterbradford » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:32 am

SonnyRider wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 am
I found the contact on Firewire's website - https://firewiresurfboards.com/contact/ I filled in the information and I received some helpful advise after asking a few questions (I was told the 5'1" would be good for higher winds and the 5'3" would be good for medium winds) and contact details of someone here in the UK.
Thanks! Really helpful info and shame that you too experienced lack of knowledge from stockists. I'll get in touch with them direct. I was looking at Firewire website yesterday and somewhat bemused that it shows EVO only available in FST and not Helium! This is very much a case of pot calling kettle black, since I hate updating my own website...

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:50 pm

As far as I know, the new boards are all Helium now. Old stock is FST. But, yes, you are right, they need to update the website.
Like you, I CBA to update mine, when I know I really should ;)

Good luck in your search

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:48 pm

For what it is worth, I am finding the 4' 10" evo to be just right for my weight 75kg (165 lbs) on a good day. It stays on a plane very well, and is very balanced in volume. Compared to say my 5' 6" celeritas, which has about 3 liters more in volume but you have to lean forward to use it all, it is about the same on the low end.

The light weight and short length makes the evo more slashy and you can turn tighter. It also holds the line better in chop on a turn while the celeritas will start to get bouncy and this is why I bought the evo after trying a 5' 1" vader.

I think if I was going to go real light wind I would go 5' 3" evo and a single strut kite. That might be a pretty cool combination.

Frappes
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Field, CA
Gear: .

Postby Frappes » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:25 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:58 am
I'm just a touch south of 70kg and paddle surf a 5'1" no problem even on mushy stuff.
Hey Nomad,

What's your paddle fitness? When you mention mushy stuff, what exactly are you talking about - 3-5ft slop at Lindamar, or something a bit better? I've got about 1-2 kgs on you and I'm debating if the 5'1" would have enough volume. I've tried paddling my 5'0" vanguard (in mush) and couldn't quite get it going.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:16 am

Frappes wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:25 am
NorCalNomad wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:58 am
I'm just a touch south of 70kg and paddle surf a 5'1" no problem even on mushy stuff.
Hey Nomad,

What's your paddle fitness? When you mention mushy stuff, what exactly are you talking about - 3-5ft slop at Lindamar, or something a bit better? I've got about 1-2 kgs on you and I'm debating if the 5'1" would have enough volume. I've tried paddling my 5'0" vanguard (in mush) and couldn't quite get it going.
For what it's worth, I'm a fairly fit 50yo & have a 5'3 HEVO.
Weigh 73kgs, my paddle fitness is only average but have had some great surf's when the waves have some power.
I'm about to order a 5'6 or 5'7 in LFT for a groveller.
If your young or really paddle fit I think the 5'1 will be ok volume wise.

Frappes
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Field, CA
Gear: .

Postby Frappes » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Thank you topmick! You have been super helpful re: the evo across all the kiting and surfing forums i've been looking at.

Return to “Kitesurfing”