Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing and backpacking. Is that even possible?

Forum for kitesurfers
thger09
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lancing
Favorite Beaches: Lancing, Shoreham, Hove
Style: Freeride, Freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 12m North Mono 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing and backpacking. Is that even possible?

Postby thger09 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi! Me and my girlfriend are planning to go on a 6-months backpacking trip to South-East Asia. We also want to take the kitesurfing equipment with us as there are many good spots in Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines.

Has anyone got any experience in carrying a kitesurfing equipment while travelling to numerous locations in different countries?

My main concerns are:

physically carrying the 25kg kitesurfing bag (even if the bag comes with wheels)
ability to travel on local coaches and trains
ability to leave the bag securely in different hotels and cheaper hostels if we want to go and explore only with out day backpacks.

I'd love to hear some word of advice from you guys especially those ones who have done it before.

Peace.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Kitesurfing and backpacking. Is that even possible?

Postby edt » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:12 pm

my brother did a world tour bringing a surfboard with him everywhere. His words "Never again!" You get chained to your gear. There should be one or two spots you can rent gear or guys will let you borrow their own stuff for a quick session. I know we all want to be like the guys in that movie "Endless Summer" from 1966. It's fantastic but it doesn't show you the headaches of carrying all your stuff everywhere you go.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:33 am

I'm not backpacking but I am on endless travel for work. The first 6 months I bought a split board and took just one kite, a 13m. I rented race boards when the wind was light. Everythign fit in my Dakine split roller suitcase.

I went home at christmas and decided to bring back another board and two more kites. Now i had two bags. It pretty much screwed me everywhere that wasnt mainstream/easily accessible. The smaller airlines charges by the kg for the second back (My puddle jumper to boracay was more for my kite bag than my ticket). I always needed a van cab to fit the kite bag club roller which cost more.

Most kite places has rental facilities. For me i would go back to my split board one kite and rent additional when i need it. It was manageable. Second back is restrictive.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:38 am

My and my wife spent 6 months travelling with gear through Mexico. Bussing it. Possible, but a pain.

I'd do it again, but only with a splitboard and lightweight travelling kites. I'd seriously consider clouds. I have never flown them , but they are supposedly good lightwind kites, and pack down ridiculously small. Maybe OR flites are a good option, too.

I have backpacked though thailand, laos, myanmar, cambodia malaysia and vietnam. In all of these countries I'd take gear on public transport, apart from myanmar. I didn't take gear on any of those trips, though.

Would i do it? Only if me and my wife were both of the mind that kiteboarding would be an essential ingredient of the trip. If it's mostly about travelling and enjoying the asian people, cultures and sights, I'd leave my gear at home. The more you'll enjoy kiting when back home. You might be able to rent stuff...I never looked into it.

If you do really want to kiteboard while there...do it. Invest in light gear, buy a splitboard. I ride strapless surfboards, btw. I'd never take a surfboard. Just too fragile. Take a tt, preferably a splitboard.

Good luck, happy travelling.

Or6
Last edited by or6 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:31 am

10-12m foil kite and a harness= 3-5kg total. Rent or buy/sell a surfboard. Surfboards can be a huge hassle.

thger09
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lancing
Favorite Beaches: Lancing, Shoreham, Hove
Style: Freeride, Freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 12m North Mono 9m

Postby thger09 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:57 am

Thanks for all the replies. I think i am going to take two (9m and 12m) kites, lines and harnesses and as foilholio mentioned rent or even buy/sell a board if i decide to stay in one location for >2weeks. If I vacuum pack the kites i could probably fit all the gear (excl. boards and pump) in a standard f-one bag. That should hopefully make the travelling easier.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:58 am

I used to complain about having to carry all that equipment around, but then my first teacher snapped at me one day and said: you wanna kite or you wanna sleep in the hammock? Grow muscles and carry your kites. I just kinda sucked it up and don't moan anymore.
Backpacking is, however, the one form of travel that really isn't suited for kiters. You need jeeps, buggies, busses... I consider it IMPOSSIBLE.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:16 pm

Split surfboard with a 9m solo would have you riding in a wide wind range. Soon to be my travel companion as I am getting tired of the excessive plane baggage charges for my kite bags. Nobile has a split bag, called the master I believe, that would work perfect for what you are trying to do.

Jimmy

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:58 am

Easy. Nobile splitboard and Flysurfer Speed 5 12. Buy the Nobile split bag and Pacsafe protector for security and you are done. Gonna weight less than 10kg, easy to travel with and easy to lock up.

=Jason-

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:05 am

or6 wrote:My and my wife spent 6 months travelling with gear through Mexico. Bussing it. Possible, but a pain.

I'd do it again, but only with a splitboard and lightweight travelling kites. I'd seriously consider clouds. I have never flown them , but they are supposedly good lightwind kites, and pack down ridiculously small. Maybe OR flites are a good option, too.

I have backpacked though thailand, laos, myanmar, cambodia malaysia and vietnam. In all of these countries I'd take gear on public transport, apart from myanmar. I didn't take gear on any of those trips, though.

Would i do it? Only if me and my wife were both of the mind that kiteboarding would be an essential ingredient of the trip. If it's mostly about travelling and enjoying the asian people, cultures and sights, I'd leave my gear at home. The more you'll enjoy kiting when back home. You might be able to rent stuff...I never looked into it.

If you do really want to kiteboard while there...do it. Invest in light gear, buy a splitboard. I ride strapless surfboards, btw. I'd never take a surfboard. Just too fragile. Take a tt, preferably a splitboard.

Good luck, happy travelling.

Or6
Love to get some info on the good kiteboarding spots in Mexico. I'll be mostly sticking to the West coast as I travel down on motorcycle to Argentina. Any good suggestions?

=Jason-

Return to “Kitesurfing”