flysplit M
Zeeko slash 5'2"
Zeeko alloy foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

bar/kite compatibility

Postby Sarajlija » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:50 pm

Hello, I'm a new member, and not a very experienced kiter, so apologies if I'm asking a stupid question.

I was wondering how one can minimize his quiver by using a single bar for more kites. What should you look at to make sure that the bar and kite are compatible? Obviously, the number of lines (4 or 5) and make sure that the ending on the lines, whether pigtails or larks heads, match the kite's bridle. But what else matters? How important is the bar length (width) to the kite size? How can one be sure that the kite's depower system will work fine with a bar of another brand?

At the moment I have a bandit 9m which I use with its 45cm monolith bar, then a boost 15 and a speed5 18, which I use with the flysurfer infinity 3.0 60cm bar. I also have an ozone summit 10m with its dedicated 5 lines bar, which I use only on snow. I'm planning to complete my quiver with a 12m and a 6m, probably flysurfer, and I'm not too excited about having to buy another infinity bar (50cm), especially as in my view the infinity is inferior to other bars on the market.

Is it a dream to have a single bar (or two) to handle a full set of kites from 6 to 18m?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: bar/kite compatibility

Postby edt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:07 pm

question comes up a lot, good questions!

1) width of control bar -- this is personal preference. I don't mind mixing big bars and small bars with little kites and big kites. Try it see how it feels.

2) 5 and 4 line bars. 5 line bars have to be compatible, there is a tensioned 5th line, slack 5thline, high Y, low Y and V. I believe your ozone and flysurfers will be all compatible as I believe they are all slack line 5ths. So I think you are good there.

3) amount of depower. This is like #1. Purely personal preference. I like a short depower. Try the control bar with the various kites see how you like it. It's becoming more common in modern control bars to have an adjuster that lets you adjust how much bar throw you have, but it's up to you. Try it see how it feels.

and last and most important (for 4 line control bars)

4) mini-5th vs single line flagging. If you are using a mini-5th control bar (one that releases to both center lines) it is not compatible with most modern kites. going the other way is fine. If you have a single line flagging control bar you can use it with all your kites. The reason for this is a mini-5th requires the kite to flag out on the bridle so modern bridles often don't work on them.

I can't remember if your monolith is a single line flagging control bar or not. if it is, then you should be good. Those two control bars should allow you to fly every kite except for possibly a tensioned 5th line kite that requires a high Y like for instance a naish torch or north rebel.

If your control bar is a mini-5th you may need to buy one more control bar and sell the old one.

As you can see a lot of this is "try it see how you like it". You may end up having to buy another control bar because you don't like the width.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Sarajlija wrote:Hello, I'm a new member, and not a very experienced kiter, so apologies if I'm asking a stupid question.

I was wondering how one can minimize his quiver by using a single bar for more kites. What should you look at to make sure that the bar and kite are compatible? Obviously, the number of lines (4 or 5) and make sure that the ending on the lines, whether pigtails or larks heads, match the kite's bridle. But what else matters? How important is the bar length (width) to the kite size? How can one be sure that the kite's depower system will work fine with a bar of another brand?

Is it a dream to have a single bar (or two) to handle a full set of kites from 6 to 18m?
I think edt summed it up pretty well. The best rule imo is this:
"If you can find a bar that is identical or very close in spec to the stock bar that a given kite has been tuned around, you should not have any issues."

So base on this statement, it's best to research (via the manufacturer's website or product reviews) the kite's safety system that they were designed to utilize. Also many brands have a recommended line-width setting (or bar length) depending on the kite size, so it can be good to know that info as well. Just recently I'd talked with a kiter that was complaining that his kite was turning slow. I asked him what size and model bar was he using with it. It turned out that this kite was tuned around a 57cm bar and he was using a 45cm bar from his smaller kite. No wonder it was slow!

For 4-line kites, this may be the answer to your "dream"... Airush's Core bar (formally called the Smart bar). It's billed as "the most versatile bar on the market". This bar can be changed to four different widths all within one bar. In addition the lines come with extensions, so they're adjustable too. It also has a lot of other nice features and can be ordered with a single/clam-cleat trim if preferred.

Btw, if your Monolith bar is 2016 or older, it utilizes a mini-5th safety and will not be compatible with kites that are not designed with this system. :thumb:

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:46 pm

I think no question a modern north 4 line bar the quad control beats the airush bar, but I never suggest buying it because it costs 2x most other bars. You get adjustable throw the reliable north quick release, above the bar cleat. My favorite bar right now is the naish universal bar one reason I like it so much is you can always get last year's model between $200 and $250 new. I like the ozone control bar a lot too, I think it's called the contact? I love above the bar trim system, below the bar is such a hassle. The new liquid force system is quite nice too. There only are a few control bars I don't like at all (for instance the switch control bar, it's cheap and feels cheap).

I don't think it matters too much matching bar width and line length to the kite. It's all personal preference for instance I use my 42cm on everything from my 7m up to my 19m. I also have a 5 line bar that I use with my C kites. Two bars do everything and it doesn't bother me at all that the width doesn't match. But that's up to you, there's no rule saying you need a certain width with a certain kite.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:20 am

Using the 60cm Flysurfer infinity bar on a 12m is fine, you could use the narrow setting and be just fine, might be a little twitchy for you on the wide setting. Like edt says, it is just personal preference and I like a wider bar. On their smaller kites, say 9m or even 6m. I think the place where you will notice a longer bar the most is launching the kite. Once you have it flying and are cruising along, it is pretty easy to make small turning adjustments. I find that when I am using a longer bar on a small kite, things can happen a little fast when launching.

tavis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kanaha
Gear: 6.5m solo, 8m wave sst, 10m lithium, 12m envy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tavis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:07 pm

Sorry to hijack your post, but I just used my new 6.5m solo with my slingshot compstick bar. I usually use the compstick with my 8m slingshot rally. Weird thing is that the solo starts luffing if I left the bar anymore than half way out. Could this kite just not handle that much bar travel ? It turns really slow also with this bar which seems contrary to the normal behaviour of such a small kite. Anybody have experience with 6.5solo ? Should I attach the rear lines higher up or adjust the lines another way ? Thanks.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:51 pm

first things first. tune your bar.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:55 pm

tavis wrote:Sorry to hijack your post, but I just used my new 6.5m solo with my slingshot compstick bar. I usually use the compstick with my 8m slingshot rally. Weird thing is that the solo starts luffing if I left the bar anymore than half way out. Could this kite just not handle that much bar travel ? It turns really slow also with this bar which seems contrary to the normal behaviour of such a small kite. Anybody have experience with 6.5solo ? Should I attach the rear lines higher up or adjust the lines another way ? Thanks.
And kites with less struts or no struts will luff sooner , or at least appear to.

Return to “Kitesurfing”