Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sohlquist Shift vs Ocean Rodeo Ignite Drysuits?

Forum for kitesurfers
Sodabiscuit12345
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Newfoundland
Style: Free
Gear: Ocean rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sohlquist Shift vs Ocean Rodeo Ignite Drysuits?

Postby Sodabiscuit12345 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Hey guys,

New to the sport and looking at gear. Does anyone know what the main difference between these two suits are?

Or, have you owned any of these two suits and what can you say about them?

Thanks

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Sohlquist Shift vs Ocean Rodeo Ignite Drysuits?

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:58 pm

I'd have to say that either OR licensed their suit to be marketed under the Stohlquist brand to gain more marketshare within the paddling sports community or it's a classic example of pure R&D... aka Ripoff & Duplicate. Other than that, I have no feedback. Definitely looks like it's the Ignite since it has the same attached socks and reflective patches. It also has some gripper feature for spray skirts for kayaking. Other than that it looks to be identical, so I'm curious why the OR version is $200 more.
I'm sure John from OR will chime in with the correct answer. Stay tuned!

icurumba
Rare Poster

Postby icurumba » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:40 pm

Ocean Rodeo and Stohlquist do share intellectual property on the zip design used on these dry suits.

Stohlquist is great brand,..and we do enjoy working together occasionally...but really we do our own thing with the design concept.

The IP for this zip design is owned by the Aqualung Group...they own Stohlquist,..but not Ocean Rodeo.
I actually designed this suit for the Aqualung Group back in 2009.

Ocean Rodeo owns the exclusive license for board related water sports and Stohlquist has kayaking.
We're busy enough in each of our markets,..and get along just fine..

The “standy by” mode zip entry is similar on both,..but after that fit, finish, materials, seals, components,.. etc are unique to each brand.

The Stohlquist Shift is ergonomically designed for use in Kayak first and foremost. The over jacket is tailed shortened in length, and tapered to fit with a spray skirt as used on sea and whitewater kayaks. They also have soft socks. The standby mode is an awesome feature for sea-kayaking,...to open up the suit without taking off you life jacket and then remove the neck seal mellow conditions is massive breakthrough for sea kayakers.

Ocean Rodeo Soul is tailored for use with harness,..ankle seals for boots..(we also have other models with soft socks)...and the ergonomic fit is specific to high mobility stand-up style board sports like kite, SUP, Windsurfng etc...

Hope this helps!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Soda, welcome to kiteforum!

Just to put it in context, Icarumba is our President and Founder, Richard (speaking above). I asked him to respond as he is best positioned to give you the inside scoop on these two suits. He owned Whites Mfg and Ocean Rodeo up until 2009 when Whites was sold to the Aqua Lung group and with it, the IP related to this suit design. As part of the deal, we retained exclusive license to the IP within our fields of use, allowing the two companies and Aqua Lung's sub-brands all to get along well on a go-forward basis.

Be sure to consider our kites and boards too, but thank-you for looking at our suits for your new kite career! FWIW, the Ignite is an incredible suit but the Soul might be a better suited option for kiteboarding.

John Z ~ OR

Vantage
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay, TCI
Le Morne, Mauritius
Key West Flats
Style: I have ZERO style...
Gear: 2016 Switchblades
Axis Vanguard
Nobile NHP Split

Postby Vantage » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Nice to see enthusiasts from the manufacturers watching and contributing to the forums, thanks for your input gents.

I have used my OR Soul a lot this year in Scotland after getting it early in the year. Having flown offshore in survival suits in helicopters for years I expected it to feel like an iron man suit like the survival suits did. Not in the slightest, it's fantastic and the best bit is that it's really easy to get on and off. A bit of talc on the seals and it's dead easy. Even with a seat harness I have plenty of flexibility.

My biggest issue was finding the right mix of under-gear as i was overheating wearing thermals. Cotton tee and shorts works perfect.

cheers,

Olas!
Rare Poster
Gear: 12m Flite

Postby Olas! » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:34 pm

Hey Soda, where in NFLD are you? I'm heading to Botwood for a week over Christmas and was considering bringing gear. I kited a couple times last summer on the Bay of Exploits, but heard some of the lakes get steadier wind.

The Soul is an amazing suit, I use mine for kiting and whitewater. The suspenders are great to have when kiting but I disconnect them before kayaking to make the skirt fit better.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:00 pm

Great to see the gear in use worldwide and performing well for you all! We love hearing from consumers about their experiences with the kit!

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Vantage wrote:My biggest issue was finding the right mix of under-gear as i was overheating wearing thermals. Cotton tee and shorts works perfect.
Over the years I've worked for some of the top waterproof/breathable clothing manufactures under the sun. One of the most important things to know is how to layer correctly and more importantly what materials to avoid when layering. Out of all the fabrics available, Cotton is hands down the worst for layering and doesn't compliment the process of what a W/B garment or drysuit is trying to achieve. For wet environments (sweat, water, snow) nothing beats polypropylene. Polyester is second best. Wool at least stays warm when wet, but doesn't dry as quickly. Cotton on the other hand stays cool-cold when wet, drys very slow, and traps way to much moisture creating a clammy/wet environment.
http://sectionhiker.com/why-does-cotton-kill/

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:19 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Vantage wrote:My biggest issue was finding the right mix of under-gear as i was overheating wearing thermals. Cotton tee and shorts works perfect.
Over the years I've worked for some of the top waterproof/breathable clothing manufactures under the sun. One of the most important things to know is how to layer correctly and more importantly what materials to avoid when layering. Out of all the fabrics available, Cotton is hands down the worst for layering and doesn't compliment the process of what a W/B garment or drysuit is trying to achieve. For wet environments (sweat, water, snow) nothing beats polypropylene. Polyester is second best. Wool at least stays warm when wet, but doesn't dry as quickly. Cotton on the other hand stays cool-cold when wet, drys very slow, and traps way to much moisture creating a clammy/wet environment.
http://sectionhiker.com/why-does-cotton-kill/
Interesting comments. From my personal experience a light base layer of merino wool is all I need to stay both comfortably warm down to freezing temperature and bone dry at the end of the session. I tried poly but it never kept me warm - always felt on the coolish side.

Some of my friends still wear cotton and many layers including sweatshirts. I ask them why so many layers and they say to keep warm. It's the damp cotton keeping them cold, requiring more layers.

And a tip...you never want to have so much of anything on that it causes you to sweat. Start with one light layer, ride and see if you need to come in to add another layer. Don't start with 4 layers, overheat and think you can just come in a remove a layer. Because when you overheat you sweat and then it cools your skin and body and you'll think you need to add more layers when in fact you would have been fine had you started with fewer layers and never sweated.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:52 am

Interesting comments on under garments.
The problem in cold water ocean spots is you have to dress for the swim not the session. If you break a line a km out and it's an hour swim in, you will get hypothermia.
But if you dress for the swim then you sweat....and this eliminates benefits of a drysuit?

Return to “Kitesurfing”