alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation

Re: Cuba for novices

Postby alexeyga » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:43 pm

shawn13 wrote: Guillermo is not crowded. It is crowded in one spot because for some reason kiters like to be cramed into an area with beginners and cause chaos. I stayed at Sol at the north west end of the beach and sometimes we only had 5 people on the water. Everyone goes to Sechotel because its near the flats, but its an easy ride from Sol and you miss the crowds. They reclaimed the beach and now its 30m wide which is great for the launch zone. There is no grass or seaweed in the sand near Sol like by the flats. You can walk in the water without risk.
I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for. If you're there to enjoy going right and left - then it is definitely uncrowded and there's no limit as to where you could go and places to explore. But if you're hoping to practice some stupid stuff and looking for relative peace with more or less flat water and clean bottom - I haven't found any during any of my trips to Guillermo... well with a couple of exceptions when low tide happened to coincide with that time of the day when most riders are already tired and gone...

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Boracay, Philippines/ Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya, Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:49 pm

The flats are huge (3km x 2km), and you can walk across the road and ride in the mangroves. but if you're the type of person that needs to be touching the next rider on the water staying 50m from the launch zone like the other 50 other riders on the water i could see how you might think its crowded.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:12 pm

Cayo Guillermo.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Gaviota and Varadero.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Boracay, Philippines/ Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya, Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:48 am

Vlog from Cayo Guillermo

Last edited by shawn13 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cichenlùp
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Kite: RRD Obsession 12 - 9
Board: Arriba Arriba
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cichenlùp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 am

CaptainArgh wrote:I'm hoping to get to Cuba some day for kiting. I'm surprised to see only 3 locations discussed and frankly none of them with stellar reports that make it sound worth traveling to. The masses must be missing something, right?!?

2012/09/A-Cuba-Odyssey-Kiteboarding1.pdf
I guess in this forum there must be many people who could give you better info than me, but since I've just coma back from a 8 days trip, I'll give you my 2 cents.
Cuba is just fantastic, not only for kiting but for enjoying the whole experience. If you've never been in Cuba, I wouldn't go there in a 5 star all-inclusive resort only to kitesurf. Much better to spend few days in Havana, or visit Vinales, Trinidad etc. AND spend some days kitesurfing.
That is why I decided to stay in the area of Playas del Este, at about 20km from La Havana. Here's a clip of a windy day (18-20 kts) at the beach, the conditions of the sea were definitley not good for a beginner, but the other days the waves were much smaller than the ones in the video.
Very few people at the beach, always no more than 5-6 kiters in the water at the same time...
This is my way, I hope you'll have the same fun I had! :cool2:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFpL9_vME3k[/youtube]

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:51 pm

cichenlùp wrote: I guess in this forum there must be many people who could give you better info than me, but since I've just coma back from a 8 days trip, I'll give you my 2 cents.
Cuba is just fantastic, not only for kiting but for enjoying the whole experience. If you've never been in Cuba, I wouldn't go there in a 5 star all-inclusive resort only to kitesurf. Much better to spend few days in Havana, or visit Vinales, Trinidad etc. AND spend some days kitesurfing.
That is why I decided to stay in the area of Playas del Este, at about 20km from La Havana. Here's a clip of a windy day (18-20 kts) at the beach, the conditions of the sea were definitley not good for a beginner, but the other days the waves were much smaller than the ones in the video.
Very few people at the beach, always no more than 5-6 kiters in the water at the same time...
Thanks! I agree with you. When I go there I'd like to travel around a bit and experience the country. Not just stay locked in a resort all day.

madmax7
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards

Postby madmax7 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:41 am

What airport do you guys fly into?

Can you rely on transportation or do you need rent a car?

What months are windy?

What kite sizes to take ?

Thanks, Max

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 am

What airport do you guys fly into? Havana, Santa Clara, Cayo Coco, Camaguey

Can you rely on transportation or do you need rent a car? Venturing out on your own on your first time? I don't know.

What months are windy? From second half of Nov until end of May

What kite sizes to take ? 9-10m, 12-13m, and a big one if you don't have a big board.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:23 am

cichenlùp wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 am
CaptainArgh wrote:I'm hoping to get to Cuba some day for kiting. I'm surprised to see only 3 locations discussed and frankly none of them with stellar reports that make it sound worth traveling to. The masses must be missing something, right?!?

2012/09/A-Cuba-Odyssey-Kiteboarding1.pdf
I guess in this forum there must be many people who could give you better info than me, but since I've just coma back from a 8 days trip, I'll give you my 2 cents.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFpL9_vME3k[/youtube]
I have a million questions for you if thats ok. Maybe not a million but a few.
ill be there from sep17-27 and I'm kinda hoping I can stay in or near Havana so at least I get some night life and culture but I also want to kite. The islands are expensive and I hate being around tourists. Do they have scooters w surf racks to rent ? Is Havana close enough to all the kite spots to do scooter day trips ? I can get an AIRBNB for $230 USD for the entire 10 nights in playas de este like you mentioned and havana.

Return to “Kitesurfing”